PDA

View Full Version : 1" Threadless AND 31.8 clamp??

canadasteep
12-01-2015, 03:47 PM
I am trying to locate a 1" threadless stem that will take 31.8 bars.
A model name so I can scan ebay more easily if poss., and which I have been doing!

I am looking to put bars with a flat top on my 1" threadless commuter.
Note: Right now I am staying away from shims if at all possible. It's kinda obvious that solution exists so...let's let that be.

If someone knows the name of a model that would be greatly appreciated.
I think I saw a listing on ebay that specialized made one.
At some point 3T or ITM must have, but a model name would make searching one out so much easier!

Thanks in advance!

palincss
12-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Any reason a 1 1/8 with the shim won't work for you?

bicycletricycle
12-01-2015, 03:53 PM
i think that the stem your are looking for does not exist. when deda invented the oversize standard they were already making newton stems and they were already 1.125 with a shim.

could be mistaken.

jtakeda
12-01-2015, 03:55 PM
I think bicycletricycle is correct.

I had a 1" threadless 31.8 stem but it was a circle A custom. I broke the bolt and destroyed the stem while riding so I just shimmed and can't tell the difference.

Caballero
12-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Im pretty sure that you'll find no one has produced that combination of stem as the 2 standards came about at completely different times.

If it's a nice bike go custom, if not use a shim.

bicycletricycle
12-01-2015, 04:00 PM
also, i support your shim reluctance, I'm morally opposed to shims (mostly)

canadasteep
12-01-2015, 04:35 PM
I saw an ebay listing from Proscloset, of a 1" 31.8 stem just recently - so unless they got it wrong? Plus, I swore I saw one, randomly, about a year ago.
(forgot to bookmark it!)

I am thinking maybe there was some overlap (very little) of a new standard being phased in with a few stems being made for older bikes, until you bought a new one with 1 1/8" technology.
There<s an FSA up now, as well as some cheap stems fro Poland at $16D - just looking for alternate models as the FSA is 70mm

smontanaro
12-02-2015, 07:56 AM
There's a thread (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/internet-bob/9C9FvzNKOsg) on the internet-BOB list about this very topic right now. This popped up:

https://wearefactoryfive.com/products/f5-titan-stem

HTH...

Edit: Eh... poked the wrong link in my daily digest. What are the chances that a thread about 31.8/1" quill would be followed immediately by a thread about 31.8/1" threadless? Mods, feel free to delete...

wallymann
12-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Any reason a 1 1/8 with the shim won't work for you?

concur. 99.9% of people with this need use a shim.

djg21
12-02-2015, 08:53 AM
also, i support your shim reluctance, I'm morally opposed to shims (mostly)

I use a Thomson X2 stem with a Thomson shim on one of my bikes and it works fine. There is nothing wrong with it.