PDA

View Full Version : 2-4 speed derailleur drivetrains

bicycletricycle
12-01-2015, 12:39 PM
Ever since I was a kid I was always fooling around with minimally geared derailleur bikes. For a long time a commuted on a 1x5 speed set up and I really liked it, hard to explain why, some people enjoy this sort of thing, some don't. I
I am starting to think about a new minimally geared bike, this time with a cassette hub to make cog selection easier. Probably going to shorten the freehub on a white industries hub and run 4 cassette cogs with a single ring on the front.

Does anyone here run anything like this or share my enjoyment of rigs like this?

Some of the BMX or MTB single speed cassette hubs have room for few cogs, Jones used to build bikes with three cogs on a CK single speed hub. Anyone running a set up like this around here?

mhespenheide
12-01-2015, 12:45 PM
I've never seen anything like it, but I really like the idea. It's pretty flat here on our valley floor, but I still wouldn't want to run a single speed. A five-speed drivetrain of 36x(13, 14, 16, 18, 21) or something similar would be super nifty. You could do it all with 1980's-era parts, I guess.

How would you modify the WI cassette and/or hub?

Why not use an internally-geared hub instead?

oldpotatoe
12-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Ever since I was a kid I was always fooling around with minimally geared derailleur bikes. For a long time a commuted on a 1x5 speed set up and I really liked it, hard to explain why, some people enjoy this sort of thing, some don't. I
I am starting to think about a new minimally geared bike, this time with a cassette hub to make cog selection easier. Probably going to shorten the freehub on a white industries hub and run 4 cassette cogs with a single ring on the front.

Does anyone here run anything like this or share my enjoyment of rigs like this?

Some of the BMX or MTB single speed cassette hubs have room for few cogs, Jones used to build bikes with three cogs on a CK single speed hub. Anyone running a set up like this around here?

I like the idea of a 2by1...single speed FW rear, some sort of chain tensioner, then 2 rings in front with a front der. I did this for a guy and it worked really well. Single downtube shifter for rear der..simple. Unique.

p nut
12-01-2015, 01:04 PM
I ride singlespeeds 90% of the time, so minimal gears speaks to me. Even my geared bikes are 1x drivetrains with 8 or 9 cogs out back. I have not felt the need to have any more than that. I have thought about going with a 5 or 6-sp drivetrain, but low-tech chains and components keep me from pursuing that.

However, I did think of another way to simplify--3x1 set up. I am building up a bike that will have 3 rings up front: 50 for pavement, 38 for dirt and 26 for the steepest trails. I'll have a DT shifter mounted to a Problem Solvers clamp on DT boss on the seat tube. Yes, seat tube. My bike has no cable stops. Then a 19T freewheel in the back with an old LX derailer. This should give me more range than the 8-9 speed cassettes.

EDIT: Well, it looks like oldpotatoe beat me to the idea!

bicycletricycle
12-01-2015, 01:10 PM
I've never seen anything like it, but I really like the idea. It's pretty flat here on our valley floor, but I still wouldn't want to run a single speed. A five-speed drivetrain of 36x(13, 14, 16, 18, 21) or something similar would be super nifty. You could do it all with 1980's-era parts, I guess.

How would you modify the WI cassette and/or hub?

Why not use an internally-geared hub instead?

I have a lathe, moding the hub will be a little bit of a pain in the ass but I really want to be able to select from new cogs in any size I choose. Gran Bois makes a 120mm spaced 5 speed cassette hub which could be a nice option but it has an alloy freehub body and I hate when the cogs dig into those things.

the paul chain tensioner works with multiple ring set ups. In some ways the multiple ring set up is easier but I think the multiple cogs on the back is much cleaner.

gdw
12-01-2015, 01:13 PM
I've never used such a setup but know several adventure cyclists who do for multiday backcountry trips. They use friction thumbshifters and the Hope singlespeed/trials rear hubs which I believe are designed to take a 6 speed cassette. They are pretty strong cyclists who normally ride singlespeed mtb's but want the extra gears for riding in the mountains or deserts with gear.

bicycletricycle
12-01-2015, 01:36 PM
that hope hub looks great, too bad about the disc mounts.

john903
12-01-2015, 02:25 PM
Your project sounds like fun. Here is what I run granted it is a fixed gear or single speed, but I can "change gears" pretty quick. On my Curtlo it was built as a convertible as I call it. I can run 1x9, single speed, or fixed gear. In fix gear mode I run a 39-42 crankset with a 16-17 on one side of the hub and a 15 on the other side. In single speed mode I could use a White industries 16-18 freewheel I say could I just never really use single speed mode I discovered I just prefer fixed gear mode or 1x9 mode more then plane single speed mode.

I do like your idea though I have seen older bikes with only 3 or 4 cogs and a pulley to take up slack and a lever to pick up the chain and move it over by back peddling I think. If that is kind of what you are after maybe research old bikes from the 1900-1930ish. who knows maybe everything old is new again as they say.

Have a great day.

bikingshearer
12-01-2015, 02:55 PM
It's been done.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u46/bikingshearer/imgad2fdde7403e264bac29696e5977de9f_zpsztny4pho.jp g (http://s165.photobucket.com/user/bikingshearer/media/imgad2fdde7403e264bac29696e5977de9f_zpsztny4pho.jp g.html)

bicycletricycle
12-01-2015, 03:00 PM
try riding on those hoods

RFC
12-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Interesting topic for we Mad Bike Scientists!

More than half of my annual mileage is single speed. I do have my single speed MTB set up with two rear cogs and a tensioner, which requires me to physically move the chain, and I have a White 17-19 on my Madison.

And, I have thought about a minimal, shiftable multi cog set as you describe.

Here, I'm confused. Why do you need to modify the free hub? Can't you just take a standard free hub and build the gearing setup you want with a few select cogs and spacers. You can then just adjust the high and low of the RD to limit its movement to the cogs.

Curve_in
12-01-2015, 03:27 PM
If you search a bit, Shimano use to make a 5 speed freehub. That and a bucket of cogs will give lots of options.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

doomridesout
12-01-2015, 03:29 PM
I agree-- why mangle a hub when you can just use spacers and some aggressive limit screw use? Good idea though!

bicycletricycle
12-01-2015, 03:32 PM
I have the old shimano 5 speed cassette hubs on a bike, they are a nice solution but the first position cog is the lockring and is getting hard to find.

using a regular 8/9/10 freehub and putting some spacers behind the cogs you use is silly IMHO, at that point you might as well just put the rest of the cassette on. your wheel already has the extra dish.

RFC
12-01-2015, 03:37 PM
I have the old shimano 5 speed cassette hubs on a bike, they are a nice solution but the first position cog is the lockring and is getting hard to find.

using a regular 8/9/10 freehub and putting some spacers behind the cogs you use is silly IMHO, at that point you might as well just put the rest of the cassette on. your wheel already has the extra dish.

I take it the 5-speed hub is a Uniglide. I have also seen (and have) 6 and 7 speed Uniglide. There are also a lot of 7-speed Hyperglide hubs out there.

bicycletricycle
12-01-2015, 03:42 PM
yup. not sure if they are the same thread, i think they are.

RFC
12-01-2015, 03:45 PM
I have a 6-speed Uniglide on my SS MTB and I just use the outer gear as a cap.

Mark McM
12-01-2015, 03:56 PM
Clearly what you need is retro-direct gearing. It provides 2 gear ratios without needing derailleurs or even shift levers. Just pedal forward for high gear, and pedal backward for low gear! Nothing could be simpler!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/97/Retro-direct.svg/800px-Retro-direct.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro-direct

(I wonder what Ti would say about 'falling on the pedals' for backward pedaling.)

bicycletricycle
12-01-2015, 04:01 PM
while I am interested in retro direct, it is not what I am looking for here.

p nut
12-01-2015, 04:08 PM
that hope hub looks great, too bad about the disc mounts.

Great place for a Velosolo fixed cog!

Geeheeb
12-01-2015, 04:12 PM
kickback too much hassle?

David Tollefson
12-01-2015, 04:33 PM
My MTB is a single speed monster-crosser (okay, a converted Spesh Hardrock Sport) and I'm running 40x18 currently (just dropped from 40x16 with a tensioner, the 18 is perfect with no tensioner). ANYwho... I've been cutting some singletrack in an otherwise flat-ish area, and I'm finding that 40x18 kind of tall. Been toying with the idea of a low-count rear cluster, and I've got an extra bar-end shifter and a ton of 8-speed cassettes I can pilfer from (all my roadies went from 8- to 10-speed this past year).

So, all that to ask... You 1x-ers, are you using any kind of chain retention on the front ring, using narrow/wide rings, or just going with the 3-sp cluster and not worrying about the small changes in chain line?

p nut
12-01-2015, 06:14 PM
My MTB is a single speed monster-crosser (okay, a converted Spesh Hardrock Sport) and I'm running 40x18 currently (just dropped from 40x16 with a tensioner, the 18 is perfect with no tensioner). ANYwho... I've been cutting some singletrack in an otherwise flat-ish area, and I'm finding that 40x18 kind of tall. Been toying with the idea of a low-count rear cluster, and I've got an extra bar-end shifter and a ton of 8-speed cassettes I can pilfer from (all my roadies went from 8- to 10-speed this past year).

So, all that to ask... You 1x-ers, are you using any kind of chain retention on the front ring, using narrow/wide rings, or just going with the 3-sp cluster and not worrying about the small changes in chain line?

I use singlespeed specific ring up front, but they're not narrow/wide. Just standard rings with no ramps. I've not had issues with dropped chains.

sg8357
12-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Super Champion tension arm with Simplex Competition front derailleur.
Easy, positive shifts, no trimming.

trentschler
12-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Compass Bicycles sells a 120 mm hub that takes five-speed cassettes.

Phil Wood makes 120 mm hubs that take a five-speed freewheel. They will discontinue this line in the future though.

There are still enough SunTour freewheels and cogs in five and six speeds on eBay to have a lifetime supply in short order and relatively inexpensively.

There are plenty of 126 mm hubs that can use six and seven speed Uniglide cassettes and cogs, or freewheels. You can shift these indexed if you like.

I have only one bike with a nine-speed cassette.

Ronsonic
12-01-2015, 08:22 PM
I like the idea of a 2by1...single speed FW rear, some sort of chain tensioner, then 2 rings in front with a front der. I did this for a guy and it worked really well. Single downtube shifter for rear der..simple. Unique.

I know a guy who's got a rig like this on his mountain bike. Around here you don't need a lot of gears. One for uphill / into the wind, one for downhill / with the wind. He's a bit of a crank about weight savings, but it works.

oldpotatoe
12-02-2015, 05:38 AM
Super Champion tension arm with Simplex Competition front derailleur.
Easy, positive shifts, no trimming.

Been looking for a Campag version for years..never actually even seen one in person. (Along with an Tullio autographed poster).

ultraman6970
12-02-2015, 07:31 AM
When i was 15 y/o we were limited to a max gearing of 50x16 (6.50 meters I believe)... we barely used the 42, and remember regina had a 4 speed freewheel that was 16/17/18/19... downtube shifters and good to go.

pakora
12-02-2015, 07:39 AM
It doesn't have a derailleur but a friend was curious to set up a Shimano 3 speed internal hub on a mtb - high gear for riding to the trail, mid gear for the trail, low gear as a granny.

It didn't hold up for actual mountain biking (felt fragile and eventually would have broken in use) but depending on your terrain that might be an inexpensive option - the shifter comes with the hub, so aside from cog choice that's the entire drivetrain.