PDA

View Full Version : Enve Decals, to black out or keep white

coneill0422
12-01-2015, 07:57 AM
I just traded from a set of Enve 3.4's (with black decals) to a set of Enve 6.7's (with white decals).

Was wondering on your thoughts if I should get some replacement decals on the 6.7's and turn them into black on blacks.

Current Set-up
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/01/34a1cb1575332889d9d4b016da63f974.jpg

Previous wheels with black decals
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/01/a1d120b34bec51c8c71b8349a02da62b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
12-01-2015, 08:07 AM
i'd black them out personally.

i would also consider adding a touch of color to that bike somewhere, perhaps colored bar tape, something to take away from the dark matter look of the bike. just an opinion though, while we're talkin about it. :beer:

thirdgenbird
12-01-2015, 08:09 AM
I would remove them completely. I'm not a fan of the logo and couldn't justify spending time and money replacing them. Besides, most carbon rims look killer nude.

I would add color by using tan tires. Maybe a few ano bits like the hollowgram bolt, headset and seatpost clamp. Whatever the case, sweet ride.

Joachim
12-01-2015, 08:09 AM
Mango colored headset and a few other minor mango colored touches here and there. My favorite is the new turquoise from CK, but that's only because I already have purple. Black those decals out.

crashnburn
12-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Black plus a tad of color somewhere...

holliscx
12-01-2015, 08:20 AM
Sans decals w LOUD AS FCUK bidons

enr1co
12-01-2015, 08:31 AM
Black them out or try to trade back for your 3.4 set.

tumbler
12-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Black.

-dustin
12-01-2015, 08:36 AM
unless they're paying you to advertise, or they somehow hooked you up, off with them.

rwsaunders
12-01-2015, 08:44 AM
match your bar tape to your front door or get some hot pink bottles as somebody else suggested...ditch the decals too.

FlashUNC
12-01-2015, 09:09 AM
Leave it on. Not like anyone can read it when they're spinning anyways.

sandyrs
12-01-2015, 09:16 AM
Leave it on. Not like anyone can read it when they're spinning anyways.

Amazing. Every time I go to write an opinion about a bike's aesthetic, FlashUNC has already posted exactly what I was going to say. :beer:

sparky33
12-01-2015, 09:22 AM
The logos look better when the wheels are spinning.

How much standing around are you planning to do?

dzxc
12-01-2015, 09:23 AM
I think they look better all black, and while I have an all-black bike, yours is *too* black, add some color!

Steve in SLO
12-01-2015, 09:25 AM
If it were my bike I would black out, although a set of dark gray decals might look awesome, as well.

purpurite
12-01-2015, 09:26 AM
I'm a big fan of white on black deep dish wheel logos back to the HED days with Yeti, but I think the black on black murdered out look would be sick on that bike, and thats totally not my style. I'd rock that out in complete ninja mode with no color anywhere.

wolfstone636
12-01-2015, 09:39 AM
I have the enve 3.4 and I like the black decals

sitzmark
12-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Think you should leave the white - adds some contrast - and buy a second wheelset with black decals. I have a white on black ride and a couple of others that are all black "stealth". Switch it up ... life is too short to live by rules.

YesNdeed
12-01-2015, 11:37 AM
If it were my bike I would black out, although a set of dark gray decals might look awesome, as well.

I'll second the dark gray. Stands out just enough. Very cool, subtle look.

But if you're Italiaphile enough, pink (or Celeste) all the way! Doesn't really apply here, though, nor am I maglia rosa enough to get away with the previous myself.

I bought the Powertap Classic 45 wheel package, and the first thing I did was remove the ghastly Cycleops decals. I've since toyed with the idea of replacing them with proper ENVE ones, and not sure of which ones to go with A: Because my Wilier frame is lipstick red, white and black and B: not sure what my next frame will be. I like thinking ahead, although it usually amounts to nothing more than :crap:. In the end, I can't quite justify spending $40 or so on advertising a product that isn't my own, even though it would add cool bling to my hog. So they remain blacked.

yakstone
12-01-2015, 11:43 AM
Black decals, but add a touch of color accent somewhere.

harryblack
12-01-2015, 11:58 AM
BLACK OUT.

Minority opinion I know but I think white Enve fork decals /logo look(s) like crap also & I say that as former Mizuno carbon fork owner...

makoti
12-01-2015, 12:45 PM
I'll be different. I like the white decals. If they were black, that would be fine, but I'd expend no effort in blacking them out.

Black Dog
12-01-2015, 12:45 PM
How important is it to you to advertise for enve and for to let everyone know what wheels you ride? I would black them out or remove them. Enve should pay you not the other way around. 😎

bcroslin
12-01-2015, 12:51 PM
murder....

mattsbeers
12-01-2015, 12:51 PM
No decals. Did you buy those to ride or impress other people?

sweet_johnny
12-01-2015, 01:02 PM
Clearly the answer here is... white decals, white bar tape, white saddle.

... and your shoes better'd be white too.

weaponsgrade
12-01-2015, 01:13 PM
black out and a king headset in a pretty color.

many_styles
12-01-2015, 01:14 PM
Sans decals w LOUD AS FCUK bidons

And slap on some skinwall tires.

CunegoFan
12-01-2015, 01:21 PM
No decals. Did you buy those to ride or impress other people?

Anyone find it funny the name of the company is envy--a bit mispelled, but still?

R3awak3n
12-01-2015, 01:53 PM
And slap on some skinwall tires.

this.

also black them out or take them off.

Seramount
12-01-2015, 02:52 PM
since it's an opinion-fest, here's mine...

the totally murdered out thing has been done. to. death. snore...

nothing overly horrible about the Enve logos except they're a little large and the white is pretty stark, if you keep them, go with gray...

it needs color somewhere...bottles would be the easiest way to experiment with different hues.

don't get the attraction of gumwall tires. maybe on some vintage bikes they're appropriate, but mostly I don't like the look.

for the people that anti-advertising, do you strip every single logo off your bikes, shorts, shoes, helmets, yadda yadda...? kind of a silly POV.

sparky33
12-01-2015, 03:09 PM
Anyone find it funny the name of the company is envy--a bit mispelled, but still?

Yes. This is why replacement decals should be green.

harryblack
12-02-2015, 12:10 AM

for the people that anti-advertising, do you strip every single logo off your bikes, shorts, shoes, helmets, yadda yadda...? kind of a silly POV.

MY objection to Enve forks & whatever has much less to do with "advertising" but esp. in the case of the forks the hype, gaudiness, lame logo and aesthetics.

Q: how many big $$$ 'custom' and semi-custom, production + afermarket etc frames do we see in recent years with black Enve forks with corny white logo regardless of how well it actually complements rest of frame?

Oooh, but it's "Envy", it must be "great" and something to "lust" for...

"Somehow" my first carbon fork-- a Time I believe on a Caad 4?-- had a yellow black paint job to match the bike.

"Envy"!

Maybe if I were shopping for $275 seatpost...

R3awak3n
12-02-2015, 12:38 AM
wow, is enve the new rapha around here?

thirdgenbird
12-02-2015, 12:59 AM
wow, is enve the new rapha around here?

I don't have issue with their product or pricing, but I really can't stand the logo. To me, it comes across as loud and overbearing. I expect it from a cheap product, but not a premium one. I think they would do themselves a world of favor by swapping to an outline or ghosted logo. Logo side on the bar/stem/post should be minimal. Wheel logo size could probably shrink by 2/3rds and only be placed one or twice per side. I think it is a problem when the logo distracts from the actual product. Thomson is a proper example. Their products are instantly recognizable without a huge logo screaming at you. I wouldn't use an enve product without removing or altering the logo.

needmobikes
12-02-2015, 01:03 AM

nothing overly horrible about the Enve logos except they're a little large and the white is pretty stark, if you keep them, go with gray...

it needs color somewhere...bottles would be the easiest way to experiment with different hues.

don't get the attraction of gumwall tires. maybe on some vintage bikes they're appropriate, but mostly I don't like the look.

here is my opinion while we are at it...
I agree with Seramount; murdered out is no longer unique and is pretty bland.
On that note, I also agree with everyone else that recommends just the slightest hint of color. Where?...here is where I say, just begin with the cable housing (no bar tape, seat mast clamp, headset, etc.), just the housing, then go from there.
Back to your original question, I like the OG white Enve decals and would opt to pay extra for black decals. Attached are some pics of my bike and the subtle hint of green to differentiate this build from another boring Batmobike. 16979111461697911147

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
12-02-2015, 01:09 AM
I don't have issue with their product or pricing, but I really can't stand the logo. To me, it comes across as loud and overbearing. I expect it from a cheap product, but not a premium one. I think they would do themselves a world of favor by swapping to an outline or ghosted logo. Logo side on the bar/stem/post should be minimal. Wheel logo size could probably shrink by 2/3rds and only be placed one or twice per side. I think it is a problem when the logo distracts from the actual product. Thomson is a proper example. Their products are instantly recognizable without a huge logo screaming at you. I wouldn't use an enve product without removing or altering the logo.

they are switching to black logos on a lot of their stuff so I think they got the message :)

holliscx
12-02-2015, 01:56 AM
Your bike is so black the red sticker on the DT 240 hubs looks like a mistake. To my eyes you went for the murdered out look but haven't made it special.

needmobikes
12-02-2015, 02:02 AM
Your bike is so black the red sticker on the DT 240 hubs looks like a mistake. To my eyes you went for the murdered out look but haven't made it special.
...going off that note, how about you keep the Enve white decals, leave the flashy red DT declas on the hubs, and get a royal blue Jagwire Pro road cable set!? Don't know if you are patriotic or mind the USA-theme, but the subtle scheme would sure look pretty bad ass; hell, I'd rock it.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Avincent52
12-02-2015, 11:58 AM
I'd get the black decals. It's a nice subtle look. The white is a little stark and if you've paid the premium for Enve wheels I don't see the point in hiding it.

FWIW, I've got an all-black Tarmac, although the raw-carbon isn't as starkly monochrome as yours. I keep thinking about adding some touches of color--from a red-striped Fizik saddle to some orange bling (headset spacer, cassette lock ring, cable crimps etc) from Fairwheel to Sky blue bidons and yet I keep coming back to a look that's more murdered rather than less. (Although I do have gumwall Veloflex Masters on my de-labeled Shamals)

One man's opinion, but I really like the look of the bike as is.

FlashUNC
12-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Amazing. Every time I go to write an opinion about a bike's aesthetic, FlashUNC has already posted exactly what I was going to say. :beer:

I'll chalk it up to our collective brilliance. Great minds and all...

invertedhog
12-03-2015, 12:35 AM

Yeah dark grey.

thirdgenbird
12-03-2015, 05:41 AM
they are switching to black logos on a lot of their stuff so I think they got the message :)

That's only half the battle. The size and placement also needs help. I did see a stem that had the logo only on the clamp vs the entire extension. Not ideal, but an improvement none the less.

Tickdoc
12-03-2015, 06:13 AM
black, unless you can have some custom rainbow colors made ;~)

JMacII
12-05-2015, 08:32 AM
Clearly the answer here is... white decals, white bar tape, white saddle.

... and your shoes better'd be white too.

+1. Some white would balance it out nicely. Or some color as suggested. But you can't go wrong with white tape.