PDA

View Full Version : Old timey bike...

Speedi Pig
03-28-2004, 07:18 PM
You know the kind with the 4 foot front wheel and the small rear wheel... :bike:

Was doing an easy ride at Stone Mountain just out side Atlanta, GA (beautiful sunny, 75+ degrees, and no wind BTW :cool: ) and saw a guy riding one. It's a very hilly route, especially for one of those single speed contraptions.

:)

Anyone else ever see one of those (outside a museum)?

Bruce H.
03-28-2004, 07:35 PM
There are at least 2 in Bucks county, Pa.
One belongs to Gerenser in New Hope and the other is ridden every year in the Doylestown Memorial Day parade. I envy the 2 men who ride them, but it looks quite difficult, especially to get on using the step!
Bruce H :bike: :bike: :bike:
<my first smilie!!!!

Blastinbob
03-28-2004, 08:06 PM
here is one for sale (http://www.thewheelmen.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=673)http://vintage-antique.com/Rudge1.JPG

Bruce H.
03-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Wonder if it cost more than 20 dollars in the 1800's. It looks beautiful. Wish I had room for it.
thanks for the link bob!
Bruce H. :banana:

H.Frank Beshear
03-28-2004, 09:01 PM
The owner of one of our local bike shops did 2 centuries last year on a high wheeler. He said that they were level but that's still alot of miles on a single speed. Frank

Birddog
03-28-2004, 09:47 PM
I did RAGBRAI about 5 years ago and there were two that rode the entire route (490 miles). There were about three days with a lot of hills. That particular year was said to cover the hilliest route in RAGBRAI history.
Birddog

saab2000
03-28-2004, 09:50 PM
.... simply kick a$$ and I wish we saw more of them!! :bike: :bike: :banana:

Wheelman
03-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Riding one of these is pretty special. I ride everything and anything from this hi-wheel bike to my more modern Rivendell bikes. These hi-wheel bikes are pretty difficult to ride for any length of time especially on hills. Even harder is going down hill. What you have to realize is that your weight is very near the front axle and if you go downhill and do not shift your weight back you will do the fameous header and not ride for a while after that if ever. Also many who see you riding one of these has the mistaken impression that I can simply stop and chat. To mount this bike you have to get a running start and jump in the saddle and begin to pedal or you will fall over. Once you get going, you cannot stop to chat without dismounting. I cannot simply pull over, put my foot on the ground and chat. The ground is to far down for that. People in cars often try to carry on a conversation while I ride. I can do a simple wave and say a word or two but this bike takes all your attention to ride. It is direct drive so your legs are turning all the time. Also you have to time red lights and stop signs or dismount, there is no other option. Still, it is a hoot to ride and does grab the attention of anyone passing.