PDA

View Full Version : Shoe covers for rain??

wwtsui
05-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Got caught in one of those afternoon downpours for about 15 miles this afternoon, and was wondering: is there any kind of shoe cover to keep your feet/shoes dry? I'm training for my first Pan Mass Challenge, and decided that I didn't really like the idea of riding 90 miles in soaking wet shoes, should it choose to rain during the actual event... In doing a quick search online, all I could find were lycra covers that seem to be designed for aerodynamics, and neoprene booties that seem to be primarily for cold weather riding.

As usual, thanks for any advice...

dave thompson
05-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Pearl Izumi makes some nice, lightweight covers that are waterproof. Their part # is 9070.

Ray
05-27-2006, 05:02 AM
Pearl Izumi makes some nice, lightweight covers that are waterproof. Their part # is 9070.
They call these "wind" covers. Do they really seal around your leg well enough to keep more than a little bit of water from seeping down into your shoes and socks?

-Ray

dave thompson
05-27-2006, 08:10 AM
They call these "wind" covers. Do they really seal around your leg well enough to keep more than a little bit of water from seeping down into your shoes and socks?

-Ray
It depends on the shoes you wear. My wife wear SIDIs and the PI covers come high enough above the shoe tops to make a pretty good seal.

glc
05-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Showers Pass makes these and they are just dandy. They come from the land of rain.

http://showerspass.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=39&osCsid=60e1e4e2714608aaa39884570875f760

William
05-27-2006, 09:29 AM
When I was training and racing in Oregon, I tried all kinds of shoe covers in a vain attempt to keep my feet dry during the winter base period (rain rain rain...and more rain). The problem is that no matter how water proof the cover is, most can't stop the water that runs down your leg and into your shoe on long wet rides.

If you wear a water proof pant that comes down over the top of the shoe, you should be good. Otherwise it's a matter of finding something that will keep your feet warm even if they get wet. Sidetrax always worked well for me.

William

pdxmech13
05-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Our most popular selling lightweight bootie is made by Sugoi.
It's called the resistor. I totally agree with William about
staying completely dry. Most give into the wet after about two hours.
Either from perspiration or just the weather. Long rides I'll bring an
extra pair of socks and gloves to make it home with a smile.