PDA

View Full Version : OT: MLS playoffs

kevinvc
11-30-2015, 04:30 PM
I realize that soccer is not for everyone and that MLS is not appealing even to some followers of the sport. But it would be nice to chat with any other MLS fans on the forum. This year has had some absolutely unbelievable matches and the conference finals last night were not for the faint of heart. The Melano goal is going to be on various soccer highlight montages for years to come. :D

My beloved Timbers will be playing in Columbus next week in the final match and I'll be traveling to be with them. (If you want to help fund my trip, I have a Castelli jacket for sale in the classifieds)

It would be fun if there are any other fans in the Columbus area who might want to meet up for a pint next weekend.

wc1934
11-30-2015, 07:59 PM
Soccer is for everyone - they just don't realize it - YET - haha.
Timbers have a great fan base. If they win on the 6th, will Borchers shave?

mgm777
11-30-2015, 08:47 PM
We(my family) are big futbol fans, here in Rockies, even though our beloved Rapids are basement dwellers this year. We've had the privilege to watch our friend's son progress through the club ranks to the Rapids and now on to Europe.

brownhound
11-30-2015, 08:54 PM
I've been a soccer fan forever and an MLS fan since the beginning. I watched the Crew - Red Bull match. I think Timbers have a really good chance in the final: Columbus is a competent, yeoman team. No magic there and, if they can avoid errors, the Tims have enough skill to carve out some magic. Very fortunate end of season for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajhapps
12-01-2015, 02:35 AM
Heartbreak for the Red Bulls. Have been following them since they were the Metrostars and even coached by my youth coach in 1998. And in all that time... they can't win a damn cup!

BobC
12-01-2015, 05:30 AM
MLS has improved every year, no doubt. This year's playoffs have been exciting & the quality has been good -- just wish more folks were watching.

Both the Crew & Timbers have great organizations. Glad to see them in the finals. Timbers' Providence Park would be THE perfect venue if they would switch to grass -- reminds me of Selhurst Park or Craven Cottage. Would love to see that energized crowd packed in & going crazy at a USMNT match against any of our CONCACAF rivals (hello, El Tri?).

Cheers, Bob

JAllen
12-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Our boys here in Portland have a lot of momentum. I'm so excited!

kevinvc
12-01-2015, 10:37 AM
Soccer is for everyone - they just don't realize it - YET - haha.
Timbers have a great fan base. If they win on the 6th, will Borchers shave?

Borchers has said that if they win, he will definitely shave. I don't think he expected it to become as big a deal as it has. We are definitely a town that appreciates beards that can be measured in pounds.

The Timbers Army (supporter's group) was allocated 850 tickets to the Cup finals match in Columbus that went on sale only to members yesterday morning. They sold out in less than 4 minutes.

I really like the fact that it's a Portland / Columbus final. Both have extremely strong supporter's groups. Both are small market teams that the league hasn't awarded superstars. Both play an open free-flowing style that is a lot more fun to watch than the thug-ball that so many other teams use. Kei Kamara is fantastic and excels in the areas where the Timbers are weakest. Valeri looks like he's finally back in form and Nagbe has been playing on another level lately. I expect a fun high scoring match.