PDA

View Full Version : running does actually help I think

saab2000
05-26-2006, 08:35 PM
For the past 8 months or so I have had some of the worst (read least cycling-friendly) schedules I have ever had in my working life. That should slowly start to improve in the next few months though.

Anyway, during my 4-day trips I cannot ride at all. But I do try to run at least two of those days, sometimes three. They are not long runs, but are in the 3-4 mile range. Not hard either. Just jogging.

But today I get on my bike and crack off 55 miles at a pretty decent pace. :banana: I have been averaging about 2-3 rides per week for the past 8 months and 2-3 runs per week as well. It would seem to me that it would not be possible to maintain decent bike fitness if I remained inactive during my 4-day trips.

Cycling is my sport. Running is not, though there are times I actually don't hate it.

Does anyone else combine something else? The muscles are different of course, but the heart and breathing stuff has got to be helped by running.

Fixed
05-26-2006, 08:40 PM
bro i use to run and what i notice is it took some snap out of my legs
that is what i like that fast snap . but it comes back fast when you cut back the running i.m.h.o. anything that gets you outside and moving is great cheers

saab2000
05-26-2006, 08:46 PM
bro i use to run and what i notice is it took some snap out of my legs
that is what i like that fast snap . but it comes back fast when you cut back the running i.m.h.o. anything that gets you outside and moving is great cheers

There is no doubt that it takes out any snap I ever had. But there is also no doubt that doing nothing would take more snap out. And my choices on most of my layovers are running or nothing. So running it is.

cs124
05-27-2006, 07:34 AM
...I found it had a much greater "workout density" than riding. In my experience those 3 milers are like riding 30 miles on the bike, as far as calories burnt etc. Something to do with weight bearing exercise and all that...

Just watch your knees and back...(again, from experience...)

ejh
05-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Running hepls cycling more then cycling does running. I use both to train for my ultra marathons, 50-100 milers. By August I will not be cycling much at all before the Leadville trail 100. Eric

Rover-Rich
05-27-2006, 09:43 AM
I really would like to cycle as my primary sport, but the time committments to family/work preclude this. I therefore run for excercise and sport and use cycling as my "treat" / crosstraining activity.

There is no question that the density of workout is much higher with running. I look at my running to be 3-5x the workout as riding (5 mile run = 15-25mile ride). The area I run in is quite hilly so the difference is greater than what others may perceive.

I found that running really helped with my climbing and cadence. The benefits of increased cadiovascular fitness is acheived faster with running vs cycling ATMO and not based on physiologic studies. As far as snap, you gotta have that first before you lose it. :) I'm gonna work on running this year with cycling as crosstraining and have asked our buddy TT to help me achieve these goals while not burning out or overtraining with my cycling. If you guys are interested I'll report back in a few months and see how it goes.

Headwinds
05-27-2006, 10:08 AM
bro i use to run and what i notice is it took some snap out of my legs that is what i like that fast snap . but it comes back fast when you cut back the running i.m.h.o. anything that gets you outside and moving is great cheers

Yeah, what the bro said, but I feel running hurts me more when I climb, than on the flats. So here in FLA, I don't have a lot of problems unless I push hard... Really hard!

...In my experience those 3 milers are like riding 30 miles on the bike, as far as calories burnt etc. Just watch your knees and back...(again, from experience...)

Perhaps, for cardio, but not for calories burned.... What kind of riding are we talking about? I burn about 1100 kcals for a 30 mile ride at 19M/H. When I run 4 miles at 7:30/M I burn about 430 kcals.

Cycling is my sport. Running is not, though there are times I actually don't hate it.

Does anyone else combine something else? The muscles are different of course, but the heart and breathing stuff has got to be helped by running.

Hey saab!

Glad to hear that running is doing it for ya! This Winter I had to do the same thing your are now doing, although my runs were a bit longer than yours. I just happened to be a runner before cycling. But you keep your distance my man! Remember what I recommended a few months ago, when you posted this running/cycling question:

There is no need to do a whole lot more that the 3-4 miles, if you just want to keep your fitness. But if you want to increase your cardio-pulmonary stamina even more, just turn up the pace! Remember, however, don't run too hard or at all, if you plan to do a pretty hard ride the following day. I mean lost of hills, etc. I believe, this is where cycling and running don't mix very well!

As far as doing something else? Well, sometimes I am so beat from running that I run in the gym on a treadmill (not as boring as it seems and you get to sweat more!) Also, I sometimes throw in rowing (at the gym) and I also do some weights when I am not running hard. I try to strengen my arms and abdomen more than anything. I believe all this helps me take my mind of riding in the same place all the time.

BTW, if you find yourself stuck in Miami, just PM me, bro! Although there are no exceptional cycling venues around here, we surely have a few cool places to run!

Regards!

R.