PDA

View Full Version : Torque wrench

axel23
11-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Cyber Monday and all, so any recommendations on the "best" torque wrench? I know there have been threads on this subject before but would welcome your suggestions again.

ftf
11-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Cyber Monday and all, so any recommendations on the "best" torque wrench? I know there have been threads on this subject before but would welcome your suggestions again.

I'm a fan of precision instruments torque wrenches in general, what torque range are you looking for?

malcolm
11-30-2015, 09:14 AM
For bikes I use park beam torque wrench. For other stuff I use CDI, same company that makes torque wrenches for snap on but are much cheaper. I think they are very nice click style wrenches. I have a 3/8s and 1/2 inch. I don't know if they make smaller ones or not.

ftf
11-30-2015, 09:33 AM
For bikes I use park beam torque wrench. For other stuff I use CDI, same company that makes torque wrenches for snap on but are much cheaper. I think they are very nice click style wrenches. I have a 3/8s and 1/2 inch. I don't know if they make smaller ones or not.

Precision instruments makes "snap-on" tools as well.... The click ones are typically CDI, and the split beam ones are usually precision instruments, dial/digital ones some of both.

Anyways, I prefer split beam since they don't need to be re-calibrated as much as the "click" type and are less susceptible to shock. Split beam works like a click wrench, you set it to your desired torque and it clicks when it arrives at that torque.

axel23
11-30-2015, 09:41 AM
Standard bike stuff - mostly about 5nm, but 1/2 increments would be nice.

I'm a fan of precision instruments torque wrenches in general, what torque range are you looking for?

ftf
11-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Standard bike stuff - mostly about 5nm, but 1/2 increments would be nice.

http://www.amazon.com/CDI-Torque-Products-TorqControl-Screwdriver/dp/B00IQBIHA0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448898136&sr=8-1&keywords=cdi+torque

Edit: Same thing 44 dollars plus 5 for shipping:
http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-CDITWA.html?gclid=CPL_0-C-uMkCFcUXHwodxnsDFw

axel23
11-30-2015, 10:08 AM
Ordered from Art's! Thx.

maximus
11-30-2015, 10:43 AM
Nice, I just grabbed one of those a few weeks ago. Well designed and easy to use.

wolfstone636
11-30-2015, 11:11 AM
Park Tools. Neve rhad a problem with it

Hank Scorpio
11-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Get this one

http://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/giustaforza-family/giustaforza-ii-2-16-pro-deluxe/

R3awak3n
11-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Another vote for the CDI, excellent, really happy with mine.

dzxc
11-30-2015, 11:32 AM
I only have experience with one, the Pedros Demi Torque Wrench. Great for all the usual stuff, mostly getting things to the 5-7nm range. Useless for larger stuff like torquing the crank bolt. But it's a great size and easy to use.

crashnburn
11-30-2015, 11:35 AM
CDI is perfect for those quick adjustments!

J. Anquetil
11-30-2015, 11:56 AM
Being a Snap-On fan to the point where I chase after the Snap-On trucks like some dogs after a wheel, I bought the orange and white plastic torque wrench recommended above. I don't like it. The way it "breaks" when it has reached the desired torque is way too abrupt. Abrupt to the point that you might strip an aluminum head as the tool jerks when "breaking". Also, when measured against two other torque tools I have (Venzo and Anschutz rifle torque wrench) it seems to have a higher measure level than the others. That is, it "breaks" noticeably after the other two. Maybe the way the tool fits in your hand has something to do with it. I'd rather just use the lowly Venzo.

I find the cheaper and readily available ratchet Venzo... appropriate. Not bad. You must be careful, though, as when you hold it by the rubber handle you might move the tension on the tool. I already have three low torque tools, otherwise I'd just buy a Park. Park tools are damn fine. The hex Park wrenches will long outlive a Craftsman hex wrench. Blue Point (lower level Snap-On) ratchet tips are somewhat soft too. MAC tips seem to last longer.

It is always advisable to torque your screws little by little. 5lbs...? Go 2 then 3 or 4 then 5. Maybe not so important at this level (bicycles) but always better to err on the side of caution. Old mechanic's habits are hard to kill.

joosttx
11-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Get this one

http://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/giustaforza-family/giustaforza-ii-2-16-pro-deluxe/

I second this...

ftf
11-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Being a Snap-On fan to the point where I chase after the Snap-On trucks like some dogs after a wheel, I bought the orange and white plastic torque wrench recommended above. I don't like it. The way it "breaks" when it has reached the desired torque is way too abrupt. Abrupt to the point that you might strip an aluminum head as the tool jerks when "breaking". Also, when measured against two other torque tools I have (Venzo and Anschutz rifle torque wrench) it seems to have a higher measure level than the others. That is, it "breaks" noticeably after the other two. Maybe the way the tool fits in your hand has something to do with it. I'd rather just use the lowly Venzo.

Assuming you "measured them" by comparing them, there is no way to know which is the one which is reaching the correct torque.

J. Anquetil
11-30-2015, 03:58 PM
Assuming you "measured them" by comparing them, there is no way to know which is the one which is reaching the correct torque.

Yes, you're right, the exact calibration of all wrenches would require a precision instrument. However, having two wrenches that break evenly and one that doesn't seems like a parameter of sorts to me. I tighten a bolt to say 5NM, then use the second wrench and it breaks right where the previous one left it, but the third (CDI) goes notably past that calibration before breaking. I'd rather not use it.

irideti
12-01-2015, 12:09 AM
+1 effetto mariposa. It works well and can slip into backpocket easily when needed. I brought it with me during the first few rides after I installed a new saddle, post, bar and stem. I was able to fine tune my cockpit on the road without worrying about torque value.

johnniecakes
12-01-2015, 11:11 AM
I also have a CDI "clicker" style. I store my tools in an unheated garage where the temp may get down to 0F a few times a year. Does the cold affect the calibration? Should I store it inside the house?

russ46
12-01-2015, 11:18 AM
+about 4 now for effetto mariposa. Need to remember to change it to zero before storing.