PDA

View Full Version : I'm in heaven part II

Too Tall
05-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Patience is the name of the game.
"Heaven Part I" resulted in a spanking new Ti Spectrum Crit bike in saucy red / blue team colors....wow wadda bike :)

"Heaven Part II" is in the mail and I can't wait!!!! Look for spy shots this friday or saturday.

Both the Spectrum and "Heaven Part II" are gifts from the lovely Queen for my birthday. Sigh. I know I know...I married up ;)

catulle
05-26-2006, 01:43 PM
"Heaven Part I" resulted in a spanking new Ti Spectrum Crit bike in saucy red / blue team colors....wow wadda bike :)

"Heaven Part II" is in the mail and I can't wait!!!! Look for spy shots this friday or saturday.

Both the Spectrum and "Heaven Part II" are gifts from the lovely Queen for my birthday. Sigh. I know I know...I married up ;)

Marrying up is sweet, ain't it? I used to get guns for Valentine's and birthdays when I used to hunt a lot, iirc. We were younger then. Now I just get a slap on the back if I've been good and if I have been a dutiful hubby, atmo. I can't complain, really. Hey, congrats...! Enjoy it in good health.

Rapid Tourist
05-26-2006, 01:44 PM
I want to know when Queen is going to get some new swag from the Tall one. I mean, Lois Lane is awesome, but not like the spectrum. I'm Queen's advocate. ;)

flydhest
05-26-2006, 01:44 PM
I bet Part II is kinda plain.

Kevan
05-26-2006, 01:53 PM
How many girls named "Up" can there be in this world? Good courtin' there TooLucky.

Ray
05-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Sounds like a breeze blowing in from the northwest?

Very cool.

-Ray

Smiley
05-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Plain ...huh Flydhest :)

RichardSeton
05-26-2006, 02:36 PM
My wife is asking me what I want for my birthday - there's big one coming up in a month. I'd like to take another shot at the Ring of Fire - 12 hr time trial on the tandem. That's going to be a tough one for her, although she did great last year.

znfdl
05-26-2006, 02:45 PM
I can't wait for my plain new years present..... :D

H.Frank Beshear
05-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Might be french never know :p

Too Tall
05-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Plain...not hardly. It is steel and it ain't plain.
R.T. Trust me, dear woman scored a Teschner and a Peg last yr. she wants for not. WHOLE lotta love baby :)

Too Tall
05-27-2006, 06:24 AM
Heaven PII bradah ;)

pdxmech13
05-27-2006, 12:34 PM
that's the longest seat tube i've ever seen ;) :banana: ;)

Spectrum Bob
05-27-2006, 02:16 PM
I think I know but I am not telling ;)

Big Dan
05-27-2006, 05:17 PM
This is going to be BIG................. :help:

Too Tall
05-27-2006, 06:26 PM
66 cm TT.

manet
05-27-2006, 06:30 PM
This is going to be BIG................. :help:

http://www.talking-heads.net/graphics/david/bigsuit.jpg

Grant McLean
05-27-2006, 07:48 PM
http://www.talking-heads.net/graphics/david/bigsuit.jpg

how big?

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=tom%20waits%20big%20time&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi

g

manet
05-27-2006, 07:51 PM
if table clothes could talk:

http://www.musthear.com/new%20gallery/Jazz/Artists/AdderleyCannonball/AdderleyCannonball.jpg

Grant McLean
05-27-2006, 07:56 PM
if table clothes could talk:

http://www.musthear.com/new%20gallery/Jazz/Artists/AdderleyCannonball/AdderleyCannonball.jpg

Looks like he's got his bro Nat Adderley under there too.
Hey, fixed bro, did you know C'ball is from Tampa?

g

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Cannonball_Adderley

Too Tall
05-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Ooo. Who's his tailor :)
Haha, the links made me think of Jethro from the Beverly Hillbillys. In his world all food items were big. Hmmm, I've never named my bikes. Perhaps this one should be "Jethro".

Grant McLean
05-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Haha, the links made me think of Jethro from the Beverly Hillbillys. In his world all food items were big. Hmmm, I've never named my bikes. Perhaps this one should be "Jethro".

http://images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en&q=tull%20thick%20as%20a%20brick&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

g

manet
05-27-2006, 08:24 PM

The lyrics tell the story of "a hairy-handed gent who ran amok in Kent." He's well-dressed ("I'd like to meet his tailor"), well-groomed ("His hair was perfect"), and "preying on little old ladies."

Too Tall
06-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Bawoooooooo.
Apologies, it's not built yet...JUST opened the box. OMG the bike is going to see ALOT of hard use. Still pouring over the amazing work. What a great great surprise...I asked the builder not to tell me any details other that the basic concept...not even paint color! Is it legal to have this much fun?
Yes, it is a Vanilla...subtle Flyman really subtle :rolleyes: Designed as a dirtroad racer. I'm darn near beside myslelf at the prospect as I have not had a decent bike for rough stuff in many yrs. Long reach brakes and fenders..steel fork, quill 'cause I dig it and quill stems understand me ;) Just hefting the bike and smacking the tubes I get this pleasant ringing quality that says it's the right stuff baby. Oh, did I mention it is designed around 27mm tubulars ;)

Anywho, I gotta sleep...more pics. soon. xxoo, the tall one.

Grant McLean
06-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Bawoooooooo.
Apologies, it's not built yet...JUST opened the box. OMG the bike is going to see ALOT of hard use. Still pouring over the amazing work. What a great great surprise...I asked the builder not to tell me any details other that the basic concept...not even paint color! Is it legal to have this much fun?

Bloomin' awesome-!

Does your painter have a Jack Taylor fetish?

g

catulle
06-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Wonderful, dude. You deserve it. Can't wait to see more of it. Enjoy it in good health, atmo.

Ray
06-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Bawoooooooo.
Yes, it is a Vanilla...subtle Flyman really subtle :rolleyes: Designed as a dirtroad racer. I'm darn near beside myslelf at the prospect as I have not had a decent bike for rough stuff in many yrs. Long reach brakes and fenders..steel fork, quill 'cause I dig it and quill stems understand me ;) Just hefting the bike and smacking the tubes I get this pleasant ringing quality that says it's the right stuff baby. Oh, did I mention it is designed around 27mm tubulars ;)

Anywho, I gotta sleep...more pics. soon. xxoo, the tall one.
Very very very cool tall guy! Congrats, happy birthday, etc. There are lots of great builders out there, but I think Sacha's stuff is about the most aesthetically pleasing I've seen lately. Can't wait to see the rest of it. Massive centerpulls like that with 700x27 - you 'specting some mud?

Enjoy,

-Ray

Brons2
06-10-2006, 10:01 PM

Are you seeking to adopt a 35 year old male child?

Too Tall
06-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Got my dead arse off the couch and put some parts on...could not resist to see the symmetry come together. HT and Seatpost showing are dead on...yah think young Sasha thinks about these things? :) Hope I've taken good enough pics. so you can see the considerable effort that went into things like outlined lug cutouts, r.brake hangar...the lugs...wow. Cranks are temp and fenders are not on yet.
Sasha hit it out of the park. I look at this and think how good a soul that man must have to put so much energy and passion into what he does. Dang. Sasha, T.K. and Kelly B., Ben... y'all take your vitamins we love what you do and want the good times to go on for a looong looong time :cool:
Stay tuned.

oldmill
06-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Beautiful bike, Too Tall. I was going to to demand that you post pics this morning when you blew by me in the park, but you were going too fast. Or I was thinking too slow.

palincss
06-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Indeed, that is beautiful.. The lower head lug in particular has a marvelous shape. One question, though: in the bottom photograph it looks a lot like the brake has too large a minimum reach, and the pads don't quite make it to the braking flats. Is that real, or an optical illusion?

Fixed
06-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Looks like he's got his bro Nat Adderley under there too.
Hey, fixed bro, did you know C'ball is from Tampa?

g

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Cannonball_Adderley
yeah bro he went to blake high school .
cheers

Too Tall
06-11-2006, 06:51 PM
O.Mmmm, Slow down???? I tried as soon as I saw the FIRST Pegoretti :) However, I was riding tandem with that young tri-athlete I'm working with and...and...and...aww who am I fooling? Sorry about that.

Palincss - illusion. When you press the blocks to the rim they match 100% perfect.

Fixed
06-11-2006, 06:56 PM
t.t. that is a beautiful bike i like that fork it's cool i.m.h.o.
cheers

sailorboy
06-11-2006, 06:58 PM
That is a special bike. Really gets me even more excited about my future vanilla project. Thanks for posting it.

Rapid Tourist
06-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Dang, Tallness, I don't know how you pick which bike to ride these days.... WOW is all I can say. Beautiful!! The red bike needs an antique brown B-17 imho, but otherwise it is absolutely stunning! ;) ;) Queen sure can pick 'em....

Kirk Pacenti
06-11-2006, 09:33 PM
NICE! This is exactly the level of building I hoped builders would take my lugs and crowns to!

Do you have a shot of the seat lug?

znfdl
06-12-2006, 06:10 AM
O.Mmmm, Slow down???? I tried as soon as I saw the FIRST Pegoretti :) However, I was riding tandem with that young tri-athlete I'm working with and...and...and...aww who am I fooling? Sorry about that.

Hmmm, Have I been replaced as your stoker :confused:

Too Tall
06-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Can I frame that quote Dave? :) Yeah, he should def. keep his day job :cool:
Znfndl, you know I'm a tandem S1ut...don't take it personal ;) Hey, the kid is frickin' fast. wow.

Anybody notice the similar proportions (visually) of the 27mm Tubulars/700c/622mm on this bike to similar meat on a 650b wheel? A 650b wheel would never look right in a bike this size...however this does....just my opinion. The chainstays are wide without looking massive and will infact take larger tyres!

H.Frank Beshear
06-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Those challenge tires are huge. I have them on the Kirk and next to a set of 24mm vittoria paves they are massive. I think they measure closer to a 30 but I haven't had a tape on them. The ride is sweet enjoy.

Fat Robert
06-12-2006, 07:40 AM
nice

you're the only man who can make a 140 stem look short!

zap
06-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Very nice.

Enjoy.

goonster
06-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Fantastic bike. Absolutely gorgeous.

I think my next bike will also be built for Paul Racers.

Are those the 48 cm Nitto Noodle bars?

Lunar Probe
06-12-2006, 04:39 PM
The Noodles are really comfortable bars. The curve of the drops are great, and they work well ramping from the tops to the hoods with Campy levers. My problem is with the severe bend where the tops transition to the drops (viewed from the top), which causes wrist banging when standing on the pedals while in the drops.

fiamme red
06-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Jack Taylor's Mondrian style... you have good taste!

Too Tall
06-13-2006, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the comments. Am busily figuring out the correct BB and fr. cable hangar for the bike. I have a 110 Phil in there now with DaVinci cranks and chainline is almost right. The only tragedy so far is the Nitto Jagur NJS seatpost is too short...arrrg. I need 300 mm fer sher and would be happy to have 350 just for safety. Everything else is falling into place nicely. Queen sat on the porch with me last eve. and shared glue fumes while I brushed another layer into the basetape of the Challenge PRs. Nobody asked about the wheels! They are NOS Velocity Pro tubular rims laced to some really old DA hubs I had sitting around. Ergott did the deed even used itty bitty brass washers...he must have been channeling a Flemish bike mechanic that day ;) NICE work Ergott, real nice.

Jack Taylor Mondrian rocks! I was not thinking of it...however Sasha may have. In a conversation I did mention that I dug outlined panels in some Alex Singers but I see what you mean.

Anyone have a nice loooong fr. brake hanger for 1" threaded? I've got a REALLY nice 1" 1/8 IRD that I ordered by mistake.

H.Frank Beshear
06-13-2006, 08:33 AM
I'll put one in the box with bars :D I ordered one from Riv before I had finalized the plans for long reach standard brakes.

Too Tall
06-13-2006, 09:33 AM
OOo :) My man Frank.

chrisroph
06-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Josh:

Beautiful. A new spectrum ti and vanilla dirt road cruiser in the same year for your birthday? You are one lucky guy.

Too Tall
06-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Christophe, I don't hide the fact I married up :)

Dave, here are the seat lug pics.

Too Tall
10-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Sorry for any broken links prev. Switched to a new webhost with tons of space. Thanks for looking.

www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/bikes/vanilla

http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/bikes/vanilla/DSCN0281.JPG

crossjunkee
10-20-2006, 09:28 AM
That's really nice bike Mr. Too Tall! I'm amazed at the art coming from the NW. What was the wait time?

I see Paul brakes in my future. Sure, the Avids I'm using work fine, but we all know how that goes.

Too Tall
06-01-2007, 05:19 PM
C.Junkie I am pals with a certain fellow who got one of the first east coast Vanillas a Mr. Flyhedst and not too long after got in line. My wait was a very long yr.

Sooooo, here are a few shots of the new stem. Young Mr. White is into details. Heck he even adjusted the cable exit angle to become parallel with the HT and brake attachment. Yikes. :)

soulspinner
06-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Oh how the fenders complete that bike...Spectrum pics, anyone?

stevep
06-01-2007, 05:41 PM
sweet rig man.
many miles of enjoyment.
s

Kevan
06-01-2007, 09:26 PM
is sick, man.

rwsaunders
06-01-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm impressed as usual Mr. Tall. That ride evokes thoughts of a double decker bus, an old English phone booth or something very European, if you get my drift.

swoop
06-01-2007, 11:12 PM

Fivethumbs
06-02-2007, 02:14 AM
Lugged steel with a quill...mmmmmm

cleavel
06-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Hello Too Tall,

This is an unbelievable bike.

You are a very lucky man. :)

whitecda
06-03-2007, 09:02 AM

I like the large water bottle too! :D

BEAUTIFUL bike! Just perfect. Congrats!

michael white
06-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Lugged steel with a quill...mmmmmm

it's not a quill stem; it's threadless.

TT, I'm a little curious about the bottle cages. They appear to overlap in the photo. . . is that an illusion, or is there a reason you know for the low placement? just wondering.

I have no comments for the bike; it leaves me speechless, dumbfounded, it's a glimpse into a rarefied air which seems utterly beyond me.

Too Tall
06-03-2007, 04:32 PM
M.W. you have a very sharp eye. The bike needed some minor changes and when it came back Young Mr. White decided the rig was better with a custom threadless 140 stem. The overall feel is indeed better as the prev. stem was a bit noodly (quill ultegra). The bottle cages exactly miss hitting by about 1/2 cm which is a mile in my world and align perfect...picture is a little wierd.

I've been rocking some Conti. Competition 25s to see how the minor adjustment to the bike worked. Prev. to the change it was an absolute off road rocket using Tufo D28s however the bike was not as perfect on the road using 25mm tyres. Seemed like a minor issue but youknowwho is a perfectionist...bless his coffee adled heart.

Thanks for the comments, I really am proud to ride the bike and enjoy miles of smiles from folks who otherwise would not comment on a "heavy steel bike with fender...yuck yuck yuck" :)

chrisroph
06-03-2007, 10:29 PM
beautiful josh. Nothing like a custom steel stem on a custom steel frame/fork, kind of completes that solid feel. Sacha's bikes have so many little fine touches.

CNote
06-03-2007, 10:39 PM
So, a new fork to go with that stem or vice versa?

Too Tall
10-20-2007, 10:03 AM
New fork CNote. That Sasha guy is a perfectionist...he even "called me" on the not perfect stem spacer. :)

Update. Is this the ultimate club racer? I'm beginning to think this is the desert island bike. Last weekend I raced the longest cyclocross race in America using no fender (duh) and some 32mm cross tyres the bike was a total BA in every way. Left alot of the cross crowd scratching for answers "what is that bike dewd?" ;) Old school baby!

Today I cleaned her hup...I mean up and re-installed fenders + 25 mm tyres and was thinking yeah I would do a crit on this bike why not? Dressed in fenders Big Red is such a fine fast fender bike too. Is it the ultimate club racer? Could be. Pics of the bike just after Iron Cross (62 miles + 7k climbing) Race and after with fenders and some polish. Thanks for viewing :)

http://www.bicycle-coach.com/images/bikes/vanilla/cross1.JPG
http://www.bicycle-coach.com/images/bikes/vanilla/cross2.JPG
http://www.bicycle-coach.com/images/bikes/vanilla/cross3.JPG
http://www.bicycle-coach.com/images/bikes/vanilla/cross4.JPG
http://www.bicycle-coach.com/images/bikes/vanilla/fastfender1.JPG
http://www.bicycle-coach.com/images/bikes/vanilla/fastfender2.JPG
http://www.bicycle-coach.com/images/bikes/vanilla/fastfender3.JPG

mike p
10-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Josh,
Thats one of the coolest fendered bikes I've ever seen! I lust after it even more than seeing dave kirk topless.

Mike

Ray
10-20-2007, 10:25 AM
I never get tired of looking at pictures of that bike. It looks great without fenders, even better with 'em. It's great to have a bike that works for everything you can imagine putting it through. How fat are those cross tires? Looks they're just about the max for the width of the fork, but that could be camera angle too.

-Ray

thejen12
10-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Today I cleaned her hup...I mean up and re-installed fenders + 25 mm tyres and was thinking yeah I would do a crit on this bike why not? Dressed in fenders Big Red is such a fine fast fender bike too.
This is the first time I've seen this bike, missed the thread the first time around. I mention this because you might think I copied your bike when I post pics of my next Rex, but I didn't, honest! I was just wondering what size fenders those are, they look great. I am guessing Honjo 35s? Nice looking bike!

Jenn

DarrenCT
10-27-2007, 07:56 PM
fyi,

ok this bike officially rules.

Fixed
10-27-2007, 09:07 PM
too cool too tall
nice style
cheers imho :beer:

TMB
10-28-2007, 07:25 PM
TooTall;

This is virtually the bike I have been dreaming together in my little pea-brain over the last while.

I have in fact put in an order for it, the only difference is that I plan to get S&S couplers.

In that light - how long does it take you to install and remove the fenders??

Are they Honjos?

Too Tall
10-29-2007, 05:51 AM
TooTall;

This is virtually the bike I have been dreaming together in my little pea-brain over the last while.

I have in fact put in an order for it, the only difference is that I plan to get S&S couplers.

In that light - how long does it take you to install and remove the fenders??

Are they Honjos?
Yes, they are painted (smooth) Honjos. It takes me about 15 mins. to carefully install the fenders. While it is not possible to have dynamite bike handling using a wide range of tyre sizes of say 32mm to 23mm using the same fork it is not awful. This bike is optimized for 32mm tyres and heck it goes fast / handles nice with 25's as well...23's would look heinous...we won't go there ;) Congrats on your upcoming bike, that sounds perfect.

barry1021
10-29-2007, 08:52 AM
perfection. My dream bike.

b21

ti_boi
11-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Gorgeous Machine...........truly a lifetime bike.