PDA

View Full Version : Eggs

Splash
11-27-2015, 05:23 PM
How many of you eat eggs on a daily basis to help sustain your riding?

I read conflicting information on the virtues of eating eggs for riding and would like your opinions, if that's OK...

Thanks

Splash

tuscanyswe
11-27-2015, 05:36 PM
I eat a lot of eggs. Never thought it would influence my riding other than its a good source of proteins. Cant say i notice any difference when i eat less eggs.

Id say when I'm in an egg "period" i eat 5 a day or so.

happycampyer
11-27-2015, 05:37 PM
For some reason, your post made me think of balut, a Filipino specialty.

oldpotatoe
11-27-2015, 05:46 PM
For some reason, your post made me think of balut, a Philippino specialty.

Although a balut is in a shell, an 'egg' it ain't. Even blind blasted in Olongopo, I couldn't do a balut.

rnhood
11-27-2015, 05:55 PM
The yolks in eggs are full of nutrition, vitamin B12 in particular. I try to eat two a day - and usually at breakfast before riding. Liver also has beaucoup nutrition but some people don't like it. Glad I'm not one of them.

93legendti
11-27-2015, 06:00 PM
I eat eggs often, not daily, but at least 4 days a week. As Martin Blank would say, I eat them for the protein.

cdn_bacon
11-27-2015, 06:03 PM
I have a weightlifting friend who is an extremely lean 200lbs and I posed a question of what he eats for breakfast, which happened to be 5 eggs and a cup of steel cut oats. I even questioned the yolk thing and same reply as rnhood
"The yolks in eggs are full of nutrition, vitamin B12 in particular"

made me eat three this morning :D

texbike
11-27-2015, 07:19 PM
As Martin Blank would say, I eat them for the protein.

LOL! Such a great movie! The opening scene is one of my all-time favorites. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-230v_ecAcM .

As for the eggs, I usually go through a dozen a week for the protein and have done so for roughly 10 years. A recent check-up that included cholesterol testing and CT scans of the heart and carotid arteries came back clean. Things may look different after 30 years, but the short term doesn't appear to have done much damage. Consuming eggs may or may not help my cycling, but at least I have a shiny coat... :D

Texbike

bobswire
11-27-2015, 07:20 PM
I have a weightlifting friend who is an extremely lean 200lbs and I posed a question of what he eats for breakfast, which happened to be 5 eggs and a cup of steel cut oats. I even questioned the yolk thing and same reply as rnhood
"The yolks in eggs are full of nutrition, vitamin B12 in particular"

made me eat three this morning :D
With a side of bacon? :)

Splash
11-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Thanks guys.

Do you all eat whole eggs and not separate the whites from the yolks?

Are whole eggs useful to consume just before a long ride on the bike for energy release?

Wanting an accurate information source outlining how much protein per day I need for my body type, age, activity level, etc.. Thoughts?

Splash

JAllen
11-27-2015, 07:48 PM
My wife and I had chickens for a number of years (hence the avatar). A chicken owning friend told us that our diet would change quite a bit regarding eggs. We were already an "egg heavy" family, but hot dog, they were right! Needless to say, I ate a lot of eggs. Nature's perfect premeasured food. My go to meal when cooking for myself an open faced sandwich with about 4 eggs on top. Always hits the spot!

biker72
11-27-2015, 08:19 PM
I do eat egg whites but no yolks.
I have a rather nasty cholesterol problem and I'm a little reluctant to take a chance.

93legendti
11-27-2015, 08:26 PM
LOL! Such a great movie! The opening scene is one of my all-time favorites. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-230v_ecAcM .

As for the eggs, I usually go through a dozen a week for the protein and have done so for roughly 10 years. A recent check-up that included cholesterol testing and CT scans of the heart and carotid arteries came back clean. Things may look different after 30 years, but the short term doesn't appear to have done much damage. Consuming eggs may or may not help my cycling, but at least I have a shiny coat... :D

Texbike

Never get tired of Grosse Pointe Blank. Or, for that matter, Cusack's other comedy/romance films.

I thought the AMA recently stated that eggs were no longer thought to be "bad for the heart"?

Likes2ridefar
11-27-2015, 08:30 PM
I eat lots of eggs.

Today I had scrambled eggs slow cooked on low heat for 10' with one extra yolk for every two eggs. Big chunks of butter mixed in. Yum.

YesNdeed
11-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Last year, I got into carrying a hard boiled egg on long rides. But then, I've been called weird. Eating one, along with additional carbs and a Coke, gives great sustenance. Eating two at a time is hard on my stomach, so I keep it at one. Bring along some of those little, paper, salt and pepper packets, and you're in for a nice little snack.

moobikes
11-27-2015, 08:48 PM
I eat two eggs every other day and definitely find it beneficial to my cycling or running. I feel less hunger and energy output is more even. The protein and fat in eggs together makes it a "slow burn" type of food which is great for my style of riding.

Spin
11-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Orbs of the gods. Lots of ways to eat them. All good. You can even throw them.

AJosiahK
11-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Eggs for sure ! We usually average a dozen and a half a week for the both if us,

Always paired with kale, fruits, nuts, and avacado!

We have slowly become more daily vegan with a side of fish, naturally.

So, yes eggs are good. I can't imagine going without

d_douglas
11-27-2015, 10:51 PM
Last year, I got into carrying a hard boiled egg on long rides. But then, I've been called weird. Eating one, along with additional carbs and a Coke, gives great sustenance. Eating two at a time is hard on my stomach, so I keep it at one. Bring along some of those little, paper, salt and pepper packets, and you're in for a nice little snack.

That sounds wretched! I am not big on eggs and my lady has been converting me over the past few years by asserting that they're good protein for our kids, so I go along with it.

That said, a hard boiled egg on a ride sounds horrible to ingest :)!!

verticaldoug
11-28-2015, 05:13 AM
You should hard boil and bring quail eggs. After eating a quail egg, you will realize just how horrible modern farm chicken eggs are.

oldpotatoe
11-28-2015, 06:17 AM
My wife and I had chickens for a number of years (hence the avatar). A chicken owning friend told us that our diet would change quite a bit regarding eggs. We were already an "egg heavy" family, but hot dog, they were right! Needless to say, I ate a lot of eggs. Nature's perfect premeasured food. My go to meal when cooking for myself an open faced sandwich with about 4 eggs on top. Always hits the spot!

MMMmmm.. Egg sandwich....3 eggs, hard boiled, sliced, with bacon and mustard and mayo..perfect pre long rise breakfast..

wolfstone636
11-28-2015, 06:37 AM
Three a day. Plus i Have 150 grams of either chicken or fish at lunch then about 300 calories of dairy+ whey powder combo at dinner

laupsi
11-28-2015, 07:38 AM
Thanks guys.

Do you all eat whole eggs and not separate the whites from the yolks?

Are whole eggs useful to consume just before a long ride on the bike for energy release?

Wanting an accurate information source outlining how much protein per day I need for my body type, age, activity level, etc.. Thoughts?

Splash

You want effective energy release? Ride more and train your body. It's a pretty simple solution to a perpetual forum question.

pff
11-28-2015, 11:21 AM
I eat about twenty eggs a week and my cholesterol is 115/90

93legendti
11-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Had 3 fried eggs this am. Tasty.

christian
11-28-2015, 11:44 AM
I'm boiling eggs now. Just back from orienteering practice. I am going to eat them sliced on spinach with a little honey mustard dressing and Vasa crisp read croutons. Yum! What was the question again?

Mzilliox
11-28-2015, 12:34 PM
eggs are not bad for you unless the chickens ate things that were bad for you. this is how all food is. Good in equals good out. bad in equals bad for you. get yourself some chickens and profit, you will change your mind about eggs. When raised well, eggs are one of the finest foods man can eat, are sustainable, are clean, are good for environment, are good for chickens.

good eggs will not raise your cholesterol in a bad way, and there is good cholesterol.

how has it come to this, that the smartest species on the planet can't figure out how and what to eat?

Avincent52
11-28-2015, 01:56 PM
My son is a competitive rower and he started eating eggs like crazy.
At one point we went through six dozen between the Saturday farmer's market and the following Thursday.

When he started rowing lightweight he cut down some but the eggs were an important part of his diet, being lean protein, modest in calories, and it's easy to cook.

I started following his diet, eating a couple eggs for breakfast and sometimes a couple for lunch and I lost 35 pounds in four months.

I think that there's a lot to be said for a balanced diet which allows for proteins, fats and carbs in moderation, but the reality is that from a cultural point of view it's easy to get lots of "easy" (as in cheap, tasty, and pre-prepared) carbs, and it's kind of hard to get quality protein.

Lean meat tends to be expensive and it's time/technique intensive to prepare.
You can toss a couple eggs into a pan and you've gotten a good chunk of your protein.

I will encourage you to find good eggs. We've got a few friends who raise chickens (12 miles outside of NYC) and the eggs are astounding. We've since started going to the Farmer's market and to a local farmstand for fresh eggs.
A little bit of a pain, but they're actually just about the same price as you'd pay at the supermarket.

If you want to impress your friends and loved ones, or just indulge yourself, follow this amazing recipe from Jean Georges. It doesn't take much more time than making a nice omelet.

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/how-to-make-fluffy-soft-scrambled-eggs-like-jean-georges-vongerichten

Splash
11-28-2015, 04:50 PM
I eat about twenty eggs a week and my cholesterol is 115/90

what does 115/90 mean?

Splash

john903
11-28-2015, 04:55 PM
I started eating a lot more eggs when I turned 50 on average 3 a day for the week. I was just trying to get more protein in my diet now 3 years later I am 8 lbs lighter and I "feel" better then when I hardly ate eggs at all. They are so quick and simple and not supper filling and I am not as hungry an hour later if I had just had oatmeal for breakfast.

Seramount
11-28-2015, 05:21 PM
eat ~10 eggs a week.

and uncured bacon every day.

biker72
11-29-2015, 06:57 AM
what does 115/90 mean?

Splash

That means his Diastolic number is a little high.
Nothing to do with cholesterol....:D

oldpotatoe
11-29-2015, 07:14 AM
eggs are not bad for you unless the chickens ate things that were bad for you. this is how all food is. Good in equals good out. bad in equals bad for you. get yourself some chickens and profit, you will change your mind about eggs. When raised well, eggs are one of the finest foods man can eat, are sustainable, are clean, are good for environment, are good for chickens.

good eggs will not raise your cholesterol in a bad way, and there is good cholesterol.

how has it come to this, that the smartest species on the planet can't figure out how and what to eat?

Along the lines of LBS goes out of biz and ask anything on this forum..yes I could google it but..what do hen owners do so that the eggs don't have a chicken inside?

Yes, I eat about 15-18 per week, really like 'em cooked anyway. Is the 'cage free' gig a scam?

Mikej
11-29-2015, 07:22 AM
Yeah we were fed a real bad bunch of information regarding eggs and cholesterol in general. The latest government news is now eat them in moderation (yes for some reason the govt is total bs until it comes to health and what to eat - the us population just eats it up)- my guess is the Lipitor fake butter and wheat gang had a huge lobbying presence on the hill. 90% of cholesterol is made by your own liver. Also, the yokes should be consumed as well, they have nutrients that increase the white. As a personal example, I know it's just my dna, we have cholesterol blood screens 2x per year at my work, I ate eggs and red meat and butter a lot because I have growing boys and have to cook accordingly, but total cholesterol went from 180 to 170. I think biking helps too, only thing is my good as a nudge low at 62. As for the balut, I remember those jars of the pickled half incubated ducks like it happened an hour ago, my goodness I'm glad San Miguel's were like $1 for a bucket to wash that down ( shivers down spine)

oldpotatoe
11-29-2015, 07:33 AM
Yeah we were fed a real bad bunch of information regarding eggs and cholesterol in general. The latest government news is now eat them in moderation (yes for some reason the govt is total bs until it comes to health and what to eat - the us population just eats it up)- my guess is the Lipitor fake butter and wheat gang had a huge lobbying presence on the hill. 90% of cholesterol is made by your own liver. Also, the yokes should be consumed as well, they have nutrients that increase the white. As a personal example, I know it's just my dna, we have cholesterol blood screens 2x per year at my work, I ate eggs and red meat and butter a lot because I have growing boys and have to cook accordingly, but total cholesterol went from 180 to 170. I think biking helps too, only thing is my good as a nudge low at 62. As for the balut, I remember those jars of the pickled half incubated ducks like it happened an hour ago, my goodness I'm glad San Miguel's were like $1 for a bucket to wash that down ( shivers down spine)

So ya been to the PI I see.

Burnette
11-29-2015, 07:55 AM
I'm a gym rat from way back, got serious about road cycling in 2006 and have been doing gym/bike since. Protien in body building is hugely important, as is proper calorie intake. Cycling too has a diet specific proponent as it pertains to protien. What I have learned is that a balanced diet is best with a small uptake in protien, you don't need much more than the average person, but you do need more. How much is the hard part, we have places here where you can do urine and blood work to tweak your diet (very expensive).
Best thing I can leave you with is stop eating so many eggs! Yeah, they are an excellent source of protien, but what I've learned is to vary my protein source for better balance. I eat tuna, turkey, nuts (favor almonds, cashew, pecan mixes), salmon, chicken and drink milk.
As a body builder, a bunch of us even varies our protien supplements (I don't believe in using supplements daily, for me they are only safety nets on days I didn't eat enough protien). Of course we used Whey Isolate protien powers/bars (which is basically powedered milk), but there is also an Egg Albumin (powederd eggs) powder we used to vary our drink mixes.
Let me say that to get to the point on the bike or in the gym to where you need more protien than a balanced diet provides is a pretty high state of fitness and work load. You may not need any protein supplement at all, and that's hard for some to hear. It's not that you're not riding hard enough, it's just that you have to really strip your body to a high degree to require supplemental intake of protien and minerals if you are truly eating right. Invest time in talking to a good nutritionist and work up a personal plan made for you. That will help you avoid doing something that has no benefit and leaves you with a diet that gets old and even may cause harm. Too much of anything at the wrong time can hurt you.
In the gym you see diet and sleep as equal to the work done. Don't wing it on diet. Just as it's good to get a cycling coach, it's just as good to get a diet plan tailored to your needs.

happycampyer
11-29-2015, 08:07 AM
So ya been to the PI I see.No need to travel all the way to the Philippines--there's a Filipino restaurant in NYC that serves balut for $4.

jeepneynyc (http://www.jeepneynyc.com/)

Mikej
11-29-2015, 08:20 AM
So ya been to the PI I see.

Yeah, I was actually there to close Subic bay in 92-

Mikej
11-29-2015, 08:20 AM
No need to travel all the way to the Philippines--there's a Filipino restaurant in NYC that serves balut for $4.

jeepneynyc (http://www.jeepneynyc.com/)

But will the bar tender let you roll up your sleeve and grab your own?

oldpotatoe
11-29-2015, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I was actually there to close Subic bay in 92-

Been to Subic, Cubi Point, Grandy IS, more times across the ····e River into Olongopo that I could count..1980-1983...

Macadamia
11-29-2015, 09:22 AM
See eggs used to be good for you, then they were bad. Now they're good again so eat as many as you can before they're bad for you again, I eat like a dozen per day!

Mr. Squirrel
11-29-2015, 09:38 AM
eggs? yuk, eggs are worse than cigarettes! (http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/study-claims-eggs-are-unhealthy-smoking) BBDave feeds me carnation instant breakfast bars every morning to fuel my cyclist-nagging escapades. nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel