PDA

View Full Version : OT- Speaking of Italian Dogs- Cane Corso

Kirk007
11-27-2015, 01:34 PM
Our 23 year old son is very interested in a big dog, so we're off for a visit to see one of these little fellas today. Anyone have a Cane Corso?

William
11-27-2015, 03:11 PM
One of my longtime students has one. Great breed, and the following rings true with what I've heard from his experience...

Intelligent, the Cane Corso is easily trained. As a large and athletic breed, they need a lot of exercise. For this breed to be a well-balanced member of society, he needs extensive socialization and training from an early age. He does not do well crated all day and should have a fenced in yard for adequate exercise. They are affectionate to their owner and bond closely with children and family. The Corso requires substantial time invested and owners with an understanding of dog hierarchy.

William

Neil
11-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Friend of mine has one called Herbie, he's a great dog - and huge.

At around one year of age he's ~85kg, trust me when I say you don't want to arouse his defensive instincts.

mtb_frk
11-27-2015, 04:50 PM
No personal experience with this type of dog but, and I know it's nots the dogs fault but this happened not too far from me. But if you are going to have a big dog it needs to be owned responsibly.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/01/02/metamora-dog-mauling-second-degree-murder-trial-california-cane-corsos/21167969/

Kirk007
11-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Ugh, that's a sad story. Cane corso's by reputation are not known to be aggressive in the same way that many of the bull breeds are. That said, they were breed as working farm and at times guard dogs. He has trained a number of dogs and is well aware of the training, discipline and structure required to keep this type of dog happy and well socialized. I'm also always leery of keeping big dogs together where a pack mentality can come into play, and not keeping any dog under control is asking for trouble.

jds108
11-27-2015, 06:47 PM
Has your son owned/raised a dog before? If not, I don't think this is a good 'first' dog. I'm not speaking from direct experience with this breed, just from the fact that they're large and have a strong defensive streak.

I would expect a mastiff or even a bull mastiff to not have such strong defensive instincts - at least speaking from my direct personal experience with both breeds.

I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback that had those kinds of instincts and it was never a good thing. He lived a long and happy life but I had to watch him all of the time. And I spent an extreme amount of time on obedience training, all to make certain that I had control over him. I'll never intentionally choose to own another breed that has a (reasonable) propensity to show these kinds of behaviors.

Simple scenario to consider - the postman rings the front door, the dog doesn't 'like' the postman and a child opens the door - what's the dog going to do? Or the dog is kept in the back yard and some neighbor's kid hits a baseball over the fence. What happens when the kid jumps the fence to retrieve the ball?

Climb01742
11-27-2015, 06:57 PM
One other thought about bigger dogs...we have a chocolate lab who's the sweetest dog ever...she's about 70-80 pounds...and almost 12 years old. Climbing stairs is getting very hard for her, but carrying her upstairs to be with her 'pack' at night isn't doable. Granted, it's an issue for down the road but once bigger dogs get older, caring for them, even having them with everyone else, can be a challenge. Just a thought. Smaller dogs (or at least lighter ones;)) can be easier to care for as time goes on.

Kirk007
11-27-2015, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the thoughts - good points all. jds - Ian has had dogs in the house since he was one - Airedales, Springers, Goldens.

BobbyJones
11-27-2015, 10:20 PM
I had a neighbor in NYC that had a Cane Corso. He was pretty aloof once out of the puppy stage.(From what I saw)

At the time, I had a Pit / Bull Terrier mix that was a handful (similar to what JDS said about the Ridgeback) and we'd get into typical dog owner conversations. One thing that stood out was the fact that he in no way would leave him with anybody besides his equally capable brother. No weekends away, no spontaneous vacations. The dog also wasn't exactly welcome at family gatherings, etc. Seemed like a lot of restriction for a young guy.

To each his own, but if its not a working dog it's a heck of a lot of animal to have as just a pet.

BobbyJones
11-27-2015, 10:43 PM
*dupe post!

simonov
11-28-2015, 05:13 AM
I had a neighbor in NYC that had a Cane Corso. He was pretty aloof once out of the puppy stage.(From what I saw)

At the time, I had a Pit / Bull Terrier mix that was a handful (similar to what JDS said about the Ridgeback) and we'd get into typical dog owner conversations. One thing that stood out was the fact that he in no way would leave him with anybody besides his equally capable brother. No weekends away, no spontaneous vacations. The dog also wasn't exactly welcome at family gatherings, etc. Seemed like a lot of restriction for a young guy.

To each his own, but if its not a working dog it's a heck of a lot of animal to have as just a pet.

Really good point about the ability to get support with the dog. A very strong willed breed can make a wonderful pet, companion and protector with the right owner. But finding someone to watch them, whether it's someone you trust or someone that's willing, can be a challenge. If size is the goal there are plenty of large breeds that are less willful, but even with size I'd be cautious. One of my dogs is a great dane mix (the mix part makes him smaller than a standard great dane) who is sweet as could be and very mellow. But it's a pain to find a dog sitter willing to watch the big guy when I want to go out of town simply because of his size. I usually need about 4-5 weeks of planning in advance to find someone. That would be frustrating if I was still in my 20s.

verticaldoug
11-28-2015, 05:26 AM
I tend to agree with a few of the other posters here, that is a lot of dog. I don't see how a typical 23 yr old lifestyle will be compatible with the dog. Does your son work and will the dog be left alone for long periods of time? If the answer is yes, then don't do it.

I just think about how a lifestyle can change between the ages of 23-30 when he will have the dog. Moving, changing jobs, travel etc etc, all not conducive to owning a dog, much less a great big dog.

The dog is probably a deal breaker on match.com too. ;)

Len J
11-28-2015, 07:33 AM
Corsos require a very strong willed owner/Pack leader as they are very strong willed. The margin of error is very small because they are very big and powerful...and their entire instinct is to protect..... any threat they percieve. That's a key point, thier perception of threat. You, as the owner, have to be very sensitive to that to keep the dog under control. In addition, you have to watch the breeding lines.... because of their natural agressivness and size, unscrupulous breeders have breed for fighting/agressivness. As a result, you can end up with a very hard to control dog. Couple that with their natural independance and it makes them even harder to control.

We have a 150 lb English Mastiff (Which have a very different personality, much more laid back. But here is the thing, she is 150 lbs, a fact you can never forget. My wife is an ex vet tech, very animal friendly.... Ember (our mastiff) sees her mission in life to protect Ella. When she gets uber protective, it's very difficult for my wife to restrain her, just due to pure muscle. Now that my wife is sick, it's impossible.

We have a neighbor with a rotty.... great dog, but they let their kids walk him occasionally..... no way the kids are strong enough to handle the dog if he ever gets into protect mode...... it's a recipe for disaster. Take that up a multiple with a Corso.

I've been a large dog owner for 30 years, & I would think twice about owning a Corso. A well managed Corso by a very experienced trainer/owner is a wonderful dog, but I have seen too many not managed well....it's scary.

A Large breed dog is a bigger responsiability than a smaller dog because they can inadvertaintly do damage just based on size.

IME

Len

HenryA
11-28-2015, 08:03 AM
For the overhead of responsibly maintaining a big dog like that, your son could have a dog that he almost does not have to worry about causing trouble. Instead he could put his time into training a more easily managed breed and get more fun out of the dog while fitting in easier with society.

I've known people with lesser breeds who have been troubled by keeping watch for inappropriate aggression. Unless one has real work for such a critter the burden is not worth the reward.

mg2ride
11-28-2015, 08:43 AM
Don't pay attention to any of these concerns about aggression in the breed.

If your son is a responsible dog owner ANY dog he gets will be fine. If he is a lousy dog owner it can go bad with ANY dog he gets.

I only "judge" people with large dogs based on the size of their yard.

ATMO, if he doesn't have a decent size, fenced in yard where he can leave the dog unattended for hours at a time, he should get something smaller.

P.S. That is one gorgeous animal!

jds108
11-28-2015, 11:59 AM
If your son is a responsible dog owner ANY dog he gets will be fine. If he is a lousy dog owner it can go bad with ANY dog he gets.

mg - I will have to disagree with you on this. If the dog is a bit of an outlier in terms of disposition/personality - being a responsible owner may not be enough. My Rhodesian's personality flipped right at 6 months. Prior to that he was just a happy go lucky puppy that had no interest in the cat across the street. Then one day he saw that cat and his mission in life was to kill that cat. I would not have believed that a dog could have that significant of a change in personality in such a short time if I had not seen it with my own eyes. From 6 months on, he'd get so excited by seeing cats, rabbits, etc. that his whole body would shake from adrenaline.

He didn't care about positive rewards - it just didn't matter to him. So it was all treats and things like prong collars to get him trained. I believe that many owners would not have kept this dog - he not only required attention, he required a strong hand and an owner that would warn his dog not to act up when the owner saw a potential for a situation before it ever started.

To me the key question is - what's the dog capable of doing when the owner isn't right there next to the dog?

To the OP - when I wrote my original comment I hadn't noticed that you'd said your son has owned dogs before. I'd still be very careful about getting a breed like this. The first thing that came to mind was the highly publicized death of a person in a San Francisco apartment from an attack of two Presa Canarios. I have no idea how similar these two breed are.

RFC
11-28-2015, 12:48 PM
Dogs are a subject about which almost everybody has an opinion. I have owned a number of large dogs and have admired the Cane Corso. Even so, I second the concerns raised here.

I've reached the point where I much prefer the midsized breeds and particularly the herding dogs. They tend to be healthier, smarter, more athletic, and want to please their owners. Also, they are more mobile, more accepted by others, and great hikers. And, there are many choices -- Border Collie, Heeler, Koolie, Canaan, etc., and the cross breeds, which is done to make them even better dogs. And, they socialize well and become part of the family "pack." I'd rather have a dog named "Scout" than "Terminator." Remember Mad Max and his Heeler. That's plenty of dog!

RFC
11-28-2015, 01:05 PM
BTW, at a major dog show here in the Valley, I meet a guy who owned the National Grand Champion English Mastiff, all 250 pounds of him. The owner/breeder told me he had 25 adult Mastiffs in his back yard!

Can you imagine what his backyard looked like? That's like having a college football team living, fighting, eating and pooping in your backyard.

unterhausen
11-28-2015, 01:08 PM
I have to agree that I don't see the point in a dog like this, and I would hope I could talk one of my kids out of it if they got the harebrained idea to get one. If a breed has been selected to kill things efficiently, then it takes a lot more responsibility and effort than I think most people realistically want to expend. And even then, things can go bad. We have 3 poorly trained rescues. We tried training the first one, but my family is too lazy for that. But these dogs really aren't equipped to hurt anyone. Most people hate being the pack leader, which means the dogs are going to dominate them. I see this every day at my house.

I see people with dogs that can do real damage to their fellow man, and I wonder what they are thinking. I was bit last year in the woods by someone's bulldog that they had off-leash. Fortunately it bit my shoe, which was very thick leather at that spot. It hurt, and there are teeth marks on my shoe. Those people are probably still walking that dog off-leash, because they are responsible.

BobbyJones
11-28-2015, 02:46 PM
Reading more of JDS's experience reminds me all too well of my own. As much as we love and have a connection to our pets, its important to keep things in perspective.

Chris Rock has a few words about the Siegfried and Roy tiger incident that's always in the back of my mind:

"People keep saying that tiger went crazy. That tiger didn't go crazy. That tiger went TIGER. When the tiger was riding a tricycle and wearing a Hitler helmet, that's when the tiger was crazy...."

SteveFrench
11-28-2015, 03:52 PM
I had a cane corso named Caden. His gaelic name fit him well. I agree entirely with what Len J has written. If you are hesitant then don't get one. If you do get one then get it from a breeder with a very good rep. They ain't labs. Also think about where you live and where you may be taking the dog. These aren't dog park dogs. In my opinion you ought to have a good amount of land as well. It may help to read a good book about them before buying one. I have a copy of "Cane Corso (Comprehensive Owner's Guide)". It has got a very good description of the breed.

Corsos require a very strong willed owner/Pack leader as they are very strong willed. The margin of error is very small because they are very big and powerful...and their entire instinct is to protect..... any threat they percieve. That's a key point, thier perception of threat. You, as the owner, have to be very sensitive to that to keep the dog under control. In addition, you have to watch the breeding lines.... because of their natural agressivness and size, unscrupulous breeders have breed for fighting/agressivness. As a result, you can end up with a very hard to control dog. Couple that with their natural independance and it makes them even harder to control.

We have a 150 lb English Mastiff (Which have a very different personality, much more laid back. But here is the thing, she is 150 lbs, a fact you can never forget. My wife is an ex vet tech, very animal friendly.... Ember (our mastiff) sees her mission in life to protect Ella. When she gets uber protective, it's very difficult for my wife to restrain her, just due to pure muscle. Now that my wife is sick, it's impossible.

We have a neighbor with a rotty.... great dog, but they let their kids walk him occasionally..... no way the kids are strong enough to handle the dog if he ever gets into protect mode...... it's a recipe for disaster. Take that up a multiple with a Corso.

I've been a large dog owner for 30 years, & I would think twice about owning a Corso. A well managed Corso by a very experienced trainer/owner is a wonderful dog, but I have seen too many not managed well....it's scary.

A Large breed dog is a bigger responsiability than a smaller dog because they can inadvertaintly do damage just based on size.

IME

Len

Louis
11-28-2015, 04:07 PM
I'm no expert, but based on what I've seen I'd say that anyone wanting to have one of these dogs has to have plenty of space for it to exercise (and poop) and plenty of time to devote attention (and leadership). If the OP's son doesn't have both of those, then he's asking for problems.

HenryA
11-28-2015, 04:24 PM
He'll meet more girls if he has a well trained and happy border collie.

:hello:

AngryScientist
11-28-2015, 04:27 PM
i'd only add that "having a dog in the house" and "owning a dog" are completely different things.

your son may be totally different, but I was barely capable of keeping a house plant alive when i was 23. at the bar all hours of the night, work all day, surfing whenever i could. typical fun bachelor stuff, it would have been a nightmare for both me and the dog for me to have had to be responsible for one.

we own a smaller dog now and she's the love of my life, but it's not too too far off of the responsibility of having kids.

GonaSovereign
11-28-2015, 04:32 PM
Where do you live? I've been a big dog guy for years. I love big dogs and will work with them. There are limits. I live near other people and animals, so I would not bring one of those Corsos into my neighbourhood. It's like wanting a Greenland Dog: not good for the dog and not good for anyone else around you.

As a former 23 year-old male, I'd strongly advise against this.

Louis
11-28-2015, 04:36 PM
your son may be totally different, but I was barely capable of keeping a house plant alive when i was 23. at the bar all hours of the night, work all day, surfing whenever i could. typical fun bachelor stuff, it would have been a nightmare for both me and the dog for me to have had to be responsible for one.

+1

Years ago at work a new-hire just out of college who lived alone in an apartment got a high-energy breed, medium-sized dog. Staying home alone all day just about drove the dog bananas and he started to tear the whole place apart, chewing furniture, drywall, etc. The guy had to give the dog away.

The original choice of breed was irresponsible, but it was a type of dog he'd wanted for a long time so he didn't think it through - he only thought about what he wanted, not what the dog wanted / needed.

RFC
11-28-2015, 05:17 PM
He'll meet more girls if he has a well trained and happy border collie.

:hello:

+1 My thought exactly!

SteveFrench
11-28-2015, 05:18 PM
This was Caden. He had an un-docked tail, un-cut ears and one testicle. He was about 14 months old in the picture and 105lbs. I wonder how he would have looked with two testicles. It's a thumbnail so please click on it if you want to see a better view.

http://s1.postimg.org/yfisxua3f/P5210427.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/yfisxua3f/)

RFC
11-28-2015, 06:35 PM
This was Caden. He had an un-docked tail, un-cut ears and one testicle. He was about 14 months old in the picture and 105lbs. I wonder how he would have looked with two testicles. It's a thumbnail so please click on it if you want to see a better view.

http://s1.postimg.org/yfisxua3f/P5210427.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/yfisxua3f/)

Handsome dog!

Neil
11-29-2015, 05:00 PM
Reposting what a friend of mine said about his cane corso:

"My Corso was crate trained as a puppy, and he goes in it whenever he's left - because of his size it's simply impossible to keep anything out of his reach and, with an open-plan kitchen, he can't be contained. He was over the 4 1/2 foot gate I put in before he reached 6 months...

I work from home a day a week and come home early one other day, and my partner works early or late shifts, so he's rarely left for long. When we leave him, he goes in the crate with a raw beef shin bone and a large Kong stuffed with raw mince - both are gone by the time we're back. He sleeps the rest of the time. I take him out for an hour first thing and half an hour in the evening.

He doesn't need a dog walker and, even if he did now that he's maturing (15 months), there's little chance of him accepting a stranger in the house without one of us being there."

azrider
11-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Never have and never will understand the appeal of these 'types' of dogs.

mg2ride
11-29-2015, 07:01 PM
Never have and never will understand the appeal of these 'types' of dogs.

By "types" do you mean dogs that scare "you"?

Never have and never will understand the fear of these "types" of dogs.

Louis
11-29-2015, 07:07 PM
By "types" do you mean dogs that scare "you"

Do you have any reason to believe that azrider is afraid of dogs, or are you always so aggressive with your posts?

earlfoss
11-29-2015, 09:53 PM
Different people like different types of dogs. It's not complicated. A responsible owner who knows the nuances of their chosen breed will more often than not result in a animal that is a credit to that breed. After my wonderful presa canario passed away I adopted two pitbulls that are very well behaved and good dogs. Dogs make life more rich!
The darker dog is West, my soul buddy who passed away 2 years ago. I still tear up seeing pictures of him. The other is my current buddy, Artie. He's quite a good dude. Ellie, Artie's cuddle buddy and "sister" I can't seem to find a picture of right now.
http://s19.postimg.org/ipn6tcikj/527044_10100799985819109_1239079124_n.jpg
http://s19.postimg.org/vr8vj76yr/217277_977611506849_5987022_n.jpg
http://s19.postimg.org/xkbs7is5f/1239808_628688987162163_1311571895_n.jpg

pdmtong
11-29-2015, 10:39 PM
One other thought about bigger dogs...we have a chocolate lab who's the sweetest dog ever...she's about 70-80 pounds...and almost 12 years old. Climbing stairs is getting very hard for her, but carrying her upstairs to be with her 'pack' at night isn't doable. Granted, it's an issue for down the road but once bigger dogs get older, caring for them, even having them with everyone else, can be a challenge. Just a thought. Smaller dogs (or at least lighter ones;)) can be easier to care for as time goes on.

first thing to know: big dogs have big poops.

We had a female malamute (100#'s) and with her double coat and unreal neck leg strength that was big enough for me. I trained her to run leashed alongside me while I rode my old mtb, yet once she literally STOPPED and I helicoptered horizontally about 3 feet off the concrete for what seemed like 10 yards. Luckily was wearing a helmet.

As hse got older I built a plywood ramp so she could walk into the back of my pickup. Otherwise I practice doing my dead lift squats and lift her.

when she was gone it seemed like we were missing a person in the house.

having a dog is a big responsibility no matter the age of the owner. if you cannot commit the time to training and exercise, the results won't be nice.

we now have a 75# white german shepard, who seems to me almost dainty in comparison.

93legendti
11-29-2015, 10:47 PM
first thing to know: big dogs have big poops.

We had a female malamute (100#'s) and with her double coat and unreal neck leg strength that was big enough for me. I trained her to run leashed alongside me while I rode my old mtb, yet once she literally STOPPED and I helicoptered horizontally about 3 feet off the concrete for what seemed like 10 yards. Luckily was wearing a helmet.

As hse got older I built a plywood ramp so she could walk into the back of my pickup. Otherwise I practice doing my dead lift squats and lift her.

when she was gone it seemed like we were missing a person in the house.

having a dog is a big responsibility no matter the age of the owner. if you cannot commit the time to training and exercise, the results won't be nice.

we now have a 75# white german shepard, who seems to me almost dainty in comparison.

My daughter helps our neighbor walk her Malamute and Samoyed, that way our neighbor can also push her 2 yr old in the stroller (when her husband works late). Afterwards, I'll ask if Coco pooped she says yes, "they're always so big!"

The Malamute is just the sweetest dog. I'm not even a dog person, but this dog is gorgeous.http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsprj0hog3.jpeg

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab27/adambaker29/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1dfascra.jpeg (http://s846.photobucket.com/user/adambaker29/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps1dfascra.jpeg.html)

tuscanyswe
11-30-2015, 03:47 AM

Never have and never will understand the fear of these "types" of dogs.

You will never understand that an animal with the power and weight to toss ppl around that is often used and trained to be guard or fightdogs because of their carateristics could potentially scare ppl more than a smaller dog with less power and weight ? Really ?

azrider
11-30-2015, 09:14 AM

Ha. If that makes you feel better pal, then please, label away.

I love it when dog conversations pop up and 'some' people get so butt hurt that someone has a different opinion than they do.

My statement stands. I personally don't understand why anyone would opt for a dog that routinely makes headlines for causing SERIOUS harm from power of their bite, or turn on their owners, or attack/kill kids, and aren't even insurable by some insurance companies. Even when I write it out it seems laughable to me.

But hey........different strokes

mg2ride
11-30-2015, 09:22 AM
You will never understand that an animal with the power and weight to toss ppl around that is often used and trained to be guard or fightdogs because of their carateristics could potentially scare ppl more than a smaller dog with less power and weight ? Really ?

I assume you are now talking about Shepherds, Huskies and Retrievers?

All the above meet that description.

Dogs are almost NEVER the problem. The people that own them and treat them like kids are ALWAYS the problem.

mg2ride
11-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Do you have any reason to believe that azrider is afraid of dogs, or are you always so aggressive with your posts?

Yes and maybe I'm part pit-bull and have no control of my inbreed aggression.

Lewis Moon
11-30-2015, 09:32 AM
JFC folks, has no one seen this: Domesticated fox experiment (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Domesticated_Red_Fox) If you can push a species toward docility through selective breeding, do you really think the opposite couldn't be true?

Our last dog was a pit/lab mix, and she was a sweetheart. However, I would not have another. The amount of hassle we went through with our insurance company was a true PITA.

93legendti
11-30-2015, 09:39 AM
I assume you are now talking about Shepherds, Huskies and Retrievers?

All the above meet that description.

Dogs are almost NEVER the problem. The people that own them and treat them like kids are ALWAYS the problem.

From what I understand, the Cane Corso is considered a giant dog breed, where as the ones you mention are large dog breeds. I understand the temperament of the CC is quite different. ymmv.

RFC
11-30-2015, 09:50 AM
Yes, you can breed for docility and hostility.

What bothers me about the large guard dog breeds is when I read breeders brag that they are intentionally breeding for "strong guard and bite instinct." I realize that's what law enforcement and guard services may want.

Because I have always thought the CC's are beautiful dogs, based on this discussion, I visited a couple of the breeder sites and read just these types of claims.

On the other hand, my neighbor has a handsome 9 month old Doby that specifically came from a "family and neighbor friendly" strain.

mg2ride
11-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Yes, you can breed for docility and hostility.

What bothers me about the large guard dog breeds is when I read breeders brag that they are intentionally breeding for "strong guard and bite instinct." I realize that's what law enforcement and guard services may want.

Because I have always thought the CC's are beautiful dogs, based on this discussion, I visited a couple of the breeder sites and read just these types of claims.

On the other hand, my neighbor has a handsome 9 month old Doby that specifically came from a "family and neighbor friendly" strain.

Where is comes from is a million times more important than what breed it is.

Interesting analysis that I can agree with 100%.

verticaldoug
11-30-2015, 12:26 PM
Where is comes from is a million times more important than what breed it is.

Interesting analysis that I can agree with 100%.

If a chihuahua gets territorial, it is an annoyance. With one of the powerful breeds, it is a totally different matter.

If you ever get to the British Museum, go check out the Molossian Hound. It is a 1 meter high (Life Size) marble sculpture of a Roman dog which is the foundation breed for the mastiffs. It is a very cool and beautiful sculpture. I think of it as the uber-dog.

These dogs were essentially bred for war, guarding and hunting boar none of which are particularly needed in a modern city. When some idiot wants to keep one in a small apartment, it is an accident waiting to happen.

rugbysecondrow
11-30-2015, 01:15 PM
I agree with all the lifestyle comments, traveling etc. I also agree with the training aspects as well as the socialization, although that is true with any dog.

I would add that a big dog like a Corso, for good or bad, can scare the snot out of people and cause them to act erratic around the animal. That sometimes creates a situation. As much as I have enjoyed larger dogs, there is something to be said for a dog which you can easily take in public, car rides, house with friends, relocate to new apartment/house etc.

Either way, I have known people with these, and other big dogs, and it can be done and done well, but it requires a great deal more effort. Only he can decide if that effort is worthwhile.

AJM100
11-30-2015, 02:36 PM
Get a female Newfie if you want large breed, the best! Our Newfie "Ursa" as a pup and grown. Golden doodle is baby brother and a great personality.

SteveFrench
11-30-2015, 06:34 PM
I read this book. It gives a wonderful description of the breed which will help you decide if this breed is right for you. There is a good chance I'll have another one.

http://s2.postimg.org/mtnnr2tp1/Corso_book.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/mtnnr2tp1/)

mg2ride
11-30-2015, 09:50 PM
Since the emasculation of the American man is well under way, I guess I need to concede that most of us are only fit to raise Yorkipoos and breeds of their ilk.

The breeds of significance need to be added to the endangered species list. Apparently we are not fit to commingle with them.

:)

Louis
11-30-2015, 09:58 PM
Since the emasculation of the American man is well under way

Oh please. My truck is proof enough that I'm a tough guy:

http://www.thenervousbreakdown.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/18/150balls.jpg

Formulasaab
11-30-2015, 10:23 PM
I've met one, once. It belonged to one of the groomers that worked at the breeder where we got my dog. It was a beautiful dog with a pleasant disposition. That, and the fact that it didn't decide my dog was a Scoobie Snack, suggest to me that it can be a loving companion.

But really, this is just an excuse to post a picture of my dog.

Mine is the little'un.
http://www.at-speed.com/images/cane_corso.jpg

Louis
11-30-2015, 10:29 PM
Mine is the little'un.

Very cute. My parents have two schnauzers (not full-sized). Very spirited and smart dogs. (I assume that's what yours is, but I'm not 100% sure.)

93legendti
11-30-2015, 10:40 PM
I've met one, once. It belonged to one of the groomers that worked at the breeder where we got my dog. It was a beautiful dog with a pleasant disposition. That, and the fact that it didn't decide my dog was a Scoobie Snack, suggest to me that it can be a loving companion.

But really, this is just an excuse to post a picture of my dog.

Mine is the little'un.
http://www.at-speed.com/images/cane_corso.jpg

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canarydog.htm

Are you sure it's not a Presa Canario? I have 2 friends that own them. Similar to the Cane Corso...

mg2ride
11-30-2015, 11:23 PM
For over ten years we have been doing a very casual Doggy Day care for friends and friends of friends. I have easily had 50 different dogs living amongst my family, my dogs and my cats.

HANDS DOWN the most problematic 2 have always been:

Cheppe(sp) - The smallish shepherd in the middle - Completely overly playful and over protective of women. My dog (Mutt on left) has a permanent scar on his for head from him.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5697/23437786555_67dac1c299_b.jpg

Poppy - The wheaten Terrier/Standard Poodle mix - The ALL TIME smartest, most athletic and biggest PAIN in the A$$! When it comes to other dogs he knows no boundaries and simply can't be left alone with many dogs for very long.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5733/23438025045_9a2ceca15a_b.jpg[/url]

HANDS DOWN the 2 most docile have always been:

Lily - Pit rescue - You could do anything to her and she would not resist.
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/735/23411844376_88919cda6a_b.jpg

Enzo - Massive Pit - He has never shown any aggression to anything including my cats even though his family has never owned a cat. This dog is a Fn Rock!
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/682/22809480464_47a590c267_b.jpg

ATMO, the breed don't mean Jack Crap. The 2 pits were raised to be docile by an FBI agent and a X seal. The shepherd and the Wheatypoo were raised by women. Go figure!:crap:

Louis
11-30-2015, 11:39 PM
I do agree that my mother has little control over her dogs and has proven herself over and over to be incapable of providing any meaningful degree of discipline.

(edit - but they're still wonderful, friendly dogs)

Kirk007
12-01-2015, 12:18 AM
I appreciate the feedback and discussion. Ian's decision will be well informed and considered. For those interested in the breed here is a link to the breeder that the male comes out of: www.old world canecorso.com. the mom comes from a breeder/trainer who specializes in training "difficult" dogs.

While I wouldn't take this path, if he does the dog will be extensively socialized and trained. And he's not your stereotypic 23 year old - completely focused on school for the next three years, doesn't hit the bars, doesn't want a girl in his life right now; a dog will be his SO. I agree there would be easier dogs, but sometimes easy isn't the right path.

Louis
12-01-2015, 12:25 AM
completely focused on school for the next three years

My college experience must have been way different from his - there's no way in the world that I would have had the time to take care of a pet properly (dog or cat) when I was in college.

Formulasaab
12-01-2015, 05:37 AM
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canarydog.htm

Are you sure it's not a Presa Canario? I have 2 friends that own them. Similar to the Cane Corso...

Oops... Now that you mention it. Sorry. My mistake. It was more than 4 years ago, so my brain latched onto the semi-similar name and wouldn't let go.

Formulasaab
12-01-2015, 05:38 AM
Very cute. My parents have two schnauzers (not full-sized). Very spirited and smart dogs. (I assume that's what yours is, but I'm not 100% sure.)

Got it in one! Yes, Miniature Schnauzer. Thanks.

fuzzalow
12-01-2015, 06:11 AM
Responsibility obligated to a 23 year old? And a college student by occupation to boot? And to make the trifecta, a large, powerful animal that requires a constant, unwavering and steadfast master to toe the line properly for both itself and its relationship to humans and other pets.

With all respect, I am not sure this was well thought out. And I understand the remark about "easy not always being the right path" but this is not an experiment to try out and possibly fail in doing. If this is the result it is both cruel and inhumane to the animal and irresponsible to the living world of beings with consciousness.

His goals are all wrong if he considers ownership of this dog a substitute for a SO. Because he enters into this relationship looking to "get" rather than to "give". This would be the same recipe for failure that he'd encounter in dealing with mating relationships in the human realm too.

I am not trying to be a downer but undertaking responsibility for any pet is not to be taken lightly. And frankly, all of what I posted was already considered and addressed if the decision process was properly vetted. The situation is not dissimilar to kids - whatever one might think is involved, double that. Because there is always more involved than anyone wants to face up to. Good luck.

93legendti
12-01-2015, 06:53 AM
Oops... Now that you mention it. Sorry. My mistake. It was more than 4 years ago, so my brain latched onto the semi-similar name and wouldn't let go.

No biggie, I only know the breed because my friends, who are brothers, have them and I have spent too much time with them. When I read about the Corso, it reminded of the Canario, which has also killed people. I think it's an ugly dog and too much dog. One brother wanted the CP after he saw a burglar leaving his home on the Golan.

To each their own, I'll take a herding dog any day, and a malamute if it doesn't bother my allergies.

Another neighbor just got a Great Dane rescue and I don't see the attraction. Someone down the block has their 2nd Burmese Mtn Dog. Gorgeous, but the teenage daughters struggle to walk him every day.

jr59
12-01-2015, 07:07 AM
Responsibility obligated to a 23 year old? And a college student by occupation to boot? And to make the trifecta, a large, powerful animal that requires a constant, unwavering and steadfast master to toe the line properly for both itself and its relationship to humans and other pets.

With all respect, I am not sure this was well thought out. And I understand the remark about "easy not always being the right path" but this is not an experiment to try out and possibly fail in doing. If this is the result it is both cruel and inhumane to the animal and irresponsible to the living world of beings with consciousness.

His goals are all wrong if he considers ownership of this dog a substitute for a SO. Because he enters into this relationship looking to "get" rather than to "give". This would be the same recipe for failure that he'd encounter in dealing with mating relationships in the human realm too.

I am not trying to be a downer but undertaking responsibility for any pet is not to be taken lightly. And frankly, all of what I posted was already considered and addressed if the decision process was properly vetted. The situation is not dissimilar to kids - whatever one might think is involved, double that. Because there is always more involved than anyone wants to face up to. Good luck.

I agree to a point!

That point being that we have ZERO idea about Kirk's son, about who he is and how he handles things. I will not question something/nor someone who have never even met. I fully trust that his farther knows him better than he does.

All that being said, it doesn't leave much wiggle room.

Either way, I wish you, your son, and his new pet all the best! BTW: It looks to be a beautiful breed of dog!

verticaldoug
12-01-2015, 07:23 AM
Does he live in a house with a securely fenced yard?
If he lives in an apartment, he is out of his mind.

My daughter is 21 yr old. Between attending classes, studying, interviews for internships, a part time job, minimal social life and coming home once or twice a semester for holidays, she has zero time for a dog. Her and her roommates struggle with a hamster. (serious, I like the hamster)

You mention the next 3 years. The point of the dog is the next 10+ years.

fuzzalow
12-01-2015, 07:31 AM
That point being that we have ZERO idea about Kirk's son, about who he is and how he handles things. I will not question something/nor someone who have never even met. I fully trust that his farther knows him better than he does.

This is a erroneous tack to undergo in this conversation. I took this as implied in your post in personalizing the discussion as pitting my assessment as a veiled disparagement to the OP's son. If this is the implication of your response quoted here, you could not possibly be more incorrect.

You took a cheap shot in attempting to create drawn lines for discussion participants to stand with, with you of course, standing with the OP against my comments. Comments which you try to spin as insult.

Discuss the topic if you wish. Take criticism of what I opined, if you wish. Don't try to turn the conversation to be about some invented insult to turn the conversation to be about something personal between me and the OP. Bush league cheap shot.

AngryScientist
12-01-2015, 07:40 AM
doesn't want a girl in his life right now...

haha!

that sounds perfect, until that cute blond girl sits next to him in the lecture hall, flicks her hair back and catches his glance with her big blue eyes, asking to borrow a pencil.

it happens that fast. every rational neuron in his brain will be immediately rendered helpless.

Len J
12-01-2015, 08:47 AM
As long as we are posting big dog pics. Ember. English Mastiff. 150 lbs.

Breeds have different dispositions. We've had Newfies, Kuvasz, Great Danes, Dobies & now a Mastiff. Big dogs just require more training, socialization and attention..... most owners aren't willing to do the work IME.

Len

sandyrs
12-01-2015, 08:55 AM
Big dogs just require more training, socialization and attention.....

Len

And space, of course.

Beautiful dog. I love the giant breeds (well, basically all dogs!) and when I'm older/if I have sufficient room, I would love to raise one.

For me right now though, it's waiting to move to an apartment that allows dogs and browsing the local adoption centers for dogs that would be comfortable in an urban setting.

malcolm
12-01-2015, 09:09 AM
Owners aside I think the breed does matter even if it's only perception, and I don't think it is, if enough people believe it it essentially becomes truth.

These dogs like the serial killer next door were always friendly until the day they weren't.

I'm not saying you shouldn't own them but if you choose to own a breed known to be aggressive you need to be more considerate of the environment you and the dog will live.

Here are some numbers can't vouch for accuracy

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics.php

http://dogbitelaw.com/dog-bite-statistics/the-breeds-most-likely-to-kill

I'm a life long dog owner, mostly pound mutts and labs.

sandyrs
12-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Owners aside I think the breed does matter even if it's only perception, and I don't think it is, if enough people believe it it essentially becomes truth.

These dogs like the serial killer next door were always friendly until the day they weren't.

I'm not saying you shouldn't own them but if you choose to own a breed known to be aggressive you need to be more considerate of the environment you and the dog will live.

Here are some numbers can't vouch for accuracy

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics.php

http://dogbitelaw.com/dog-bite-statistics/the-breeds-most-likely-to-kill

I'm a life long dog owner, mostly pound mutts and labs.

Just as there are those statistics, so too is there this study pointing out that there is no scientific basis for legislating against many breeds of dog commonly believed to be "dangerous." The study was used as the basis for reversing breed-specific legislation in Germany. Regrettably we can't see the whole article without paying or subscribing but the abstract is telling.

http://www.journalvetbehavior.com/article/S1558-7878(07)00264-X/abstract

As you said, much of today's bias against historically-feared breeds lies in perception. Perception does, of course, lead to people who want to train fighting dogs or guard dogs for their meth labs buying the breeds people consider "dangerous," so those statistics you posted can be true even if there is nothing innate to the dogs to make them dangerous.

William
12-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Another thing to consider is that bigger dogs have bigger vet bills. Not that it should be a detriment, just consider it when weighing the pros and cons.

William

William
12-01-2015, 10:05 AM
haha!

that sounds perfect, until that cute blond girl sits next to him in the lecture hall, flicks her hair back and catches his glance with her big blue eyes, asking to borrow a pencil.

it happens that fast. every rational neuron in his brain will be immediately rendered helpless.

True, but for me it was a blue eyed red head walking across the quad. She liked my dog so it was all good.:D

William

verticaldoug
12-01-2015, 10:06 AM
I know this story from my daughter's lacrosse club. Every October, there is a tournament in the memory of Diane Whipple at Port Washington on Long Island. Diane was a college all-american at Penn State and member of Team USA. She was killed by a pair of Presa Canarios named Bane and Hera. The story became the basis of a Law&Order episode. The real story is even more disturbing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Diane_Whipple

The case took many years to wind through the courts and set several precedents. Honestly, I cannot understand what these lawyers were thinking.

AngryScientist
12-01-2015, 10:11 AM
I know this story from my daughter's lacrosse club. Every October, there is a tournament in the memory of Diane Whipple at Port Washington on Long Island. Diane was a college all-american at Penn State and member of Team USA. She was killed by a pair of Presa Canarios named Bane and Hera. The story became the basis of a Law&Order episode. The real story is even more disturbing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Diane_Whipple

what a terrible story.

Kirk007
12-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Must be winter - 5 pages is much more discussion than I've ever generated with a post about a bike. Again, thanks for all of the thoughts, it does help to check whether there are factors that haven't been considered or need further reflection. I don't think we've missed any but all of these will be revisited before a final decision. This really isn't the place to try and vet whether a particular circumstance warrants this dog or any dog, but the concerns and points raised all ring true as important matters. And the input from those who have owned big breeds is particularly helpful.

Grazie.

The whole concept of keeping any animal as a pet opens up all sorts of interesting questions re ethics, motivations, fairness and truly is a decision not to be taken lightly. That could be a whole 'nother thread.

malcolm
12-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Just as there are those statistics, so too is there this study pointing out that there is no scientific basis for legislating against many breeds of dog commonly believed to be "dangerous." The study was used as the basis for reversing breed-specific legislation in Germany. Regrettably we can't see the whole article without paying or subscribing but the abstract is telling.

http://www.journalvetbehavior.com/article/S1558-7878(07)00264-X/abstract

As you said, much of today's bias against historically-feared breeds lies in perception. Perception does, of course, lead to people who want to train fighting dogs or guard dogs for their meth labs buying the breeds people consider "dangerous," so those statistics you posted can be true even if there is nothing innate to the dogs to make them dangerous.

I can give you anecdotal information from 15 years in a busy ER. Dog bites I saw that were simple, leave alone or simple wash out and close loosely were almost always small dogs often biting toddlers that startled them and frequently in the face. Wide range of breeds with tears biting a kid or adult running from them usually on the posterior thigh or buttocks.
Mauling where someone was clearly taken down and had significant injury were almost always pits or pit mixes with the occasional rotweiler.

This still doesn't answer the question if it's the breed, breeder or owner and in reality it doesn't matter the perception is there with on the more devastating end of things maybe statistical support. To me and me only in an urban setting it makes no sense to own these dogs there are many others to choose from the local human society is full.

As an aside I had a friend that raised and sheltered select pit bulls, they lived in the country with land and a fenced yard. I don't think they ever had a problem with a single dog.

mg2ride
12-01-2015, 10:45 AM
..... I took this as implied in your post in personalizing the discussion as pitting my assessment as a veiled disparagement to the OP's son.

I agree that is was not "veiled". You were very direct.

His goals are all wrong if he considers ownership of this dog a substitute for a SO.. .....

gasman
12-01-2015, 11:00 AM
I think this thread has run its course. Lots of good points have been brought up and acknowledged by the OP.
I know the OP and his son. Any decision they make will be well thought out, after all the OP is the only person I know who has argued cases before the Supreme Court. He can handle this.