PDA

View Full Version : Tandem cranks

roman meal
05-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Are the captain's cranks any different then the ones we all use in a solo application? I know that the right captain's tandem crank arm looks like the left arm on a single bike, and that the left captain's tandem crank has a single timing chainring on it, but looks like a solo right crankarm.

If I wanted a replacement left arm for my single, could I order an advertised right captain's tandem crankarn? Conversely, If I wanted a replacement for my right crank arm on my solo bike, could I use a left captain's crankarm and throw two rings on it, or are the arms and spiders for single ring applications only?

Are you following me? Some models of Specialties TA cranks are getting hard to find, and interacting with the major TA source in this country is just so, well, hmmm, well anyway, are there options?

Too Tall
05-26-2006, 12:32 PM
If the crank fits you must commit.
First, you are getting this from someone who is massively dsylexic....be very afraid ;)
No, the pedal threads will be reversed in the case of the r.h. tandem crank used as a l.h. single replacement...etc. etc.

NateM
05-26-2006, 12:33 PM
the threading for the pedals is reversed.Other than that ...no difference

roman meal
05-26-2006, 12:47 PM
reverse pedal threading means that if you did this, you can loosen the pedals as you ride?

Orin
05-26-2006, 03:37 PM
reverse pedal threading means that if you did this, you can loosen the pedals as you ride?

Yeah, but they'd be pointing backwards... not many pedals are symmetrical.

roman meal
05-26-2006, 03:40 PM
I was actually thinking quill.

Make much sense.

palincss
05-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Are the captain's cranks any different then the ones we all use in a solo application? I know that the right captain's tandem crank arm looks like the left arm on a single bike, and that the left captain's tandem crank has a single timing chainring on it, but looks like a solo right crankarm.

It don't think it's a typical spider for chainrings, just fits one small ring for the timing chain.

Too Tall
05-26-2006, 08:05 PM
The loosening deal is overrated but I don't want any lawsuits.

You can use two r.h. pedal axels...been there done that...got some really cool campag 110 bcd track cranks out of the deal :)