PDA

View Full Version : getting the cleats behind the ball of the foot

Onno
11-27-2015, 08:36 AM
I have an ankle tendonitis problem that is aggravated by cycling. With some experimentation on stationary bikes and running shoes, I've discovered that getting the ball of my foot in front of the pedal axle really helps. So now I'd like to try to get a shoe/cleat/pedal system that allows me to get the cleats further back than I can do on my current set up (Specialized expert with Shimano SPD-SL cleats). I don't really want to go midarch, and drill new holes etc., or buy custom shoes. I just want to get the cleats about 2 cm back from the furthest point I can get them now.

Does anyone know of a shoe/cleat combo that might allow this?

Thanks,
Onno

Onno
11-27-2015, 09:35 AM
I should add that I've always pushed the cleats back as far as they can go on every set of bike shoes I've ever had, and it's always seemed weird to me that shoe manufacturers don't give more room for adjustability in this regard. Aside from my current injury, it's always felt more comfortable to have the cleat back, though I don't think I'm interested in going as far back as mid-arch.

macaroon
11-27-2015, 09:39 AM
THe shoes that allow for the most rearward cleat position I've found are Shimano, probably followed by Giro. I'd go Shimano though; probably better quality and there's loads of cleat position adjustment.

p nut
11-27-2015, 09:40 AM
You sound like a good candidate for a set of good flat pedals.

macaroon
11-27-2015, 09:41 AM
THese are what you want. Cheap and good. Look how much adjustment there is. THose red plastic bits can be removed to allow you to slide the cleat plate even further rearwards.

https://static.bike-components.de/cache/Shimano-SH-R171-Rennrad-Schuhe-weiss-43-d9b585b59158043b7102fb30358f1076.jpeg

wolfstone636
11-27-2015, 09:42 AM
I would try crank brothers egg beaters. I have used them on my road bike and have been very satisfied.

austex
11-27-2015, 10:06 AM
I have re-drilled Sidis and Specialized about 1cm rearward, then used t-nuts from the local hardware store for new threads.

Birddog
11-27-2015, 10:33 AM
Speedplay used to offer an adapter for the X series that allowed you to move the cleat back further. Not sure if it is still available or what they call it.

jmeloy
11-27-2015, 10:38 PM
Onno,
I can help you on this. Got a leg issue and needed to move the cleats back. ANY 3 bolt shoes with the Speedplay Cleat Extender and SP Zeros or Light Action pedals.

ergott
11-28-2015, 06:41 AM
Lots of information here.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/04/power-to-the-pedal-cleat-position/

stephenmarklay
11-28-2015, 08:16 AM
I am curious if one were to run flat pedals on a real road bike what kind of shoes would work well? That is not super heavy. What did the old timers use?

benb
11-28-2015, 09:16 AM
Every SPD/2-bolt shoe I've had has had more rear adjustment available then the 3-bolt shoes I've owned. Maybe mountain/touring shoes would be better?

I run mine basically all the way back too. I kind of wonder if the 3-bolt shoes tend to not move the holes back far enough as the shoe size increases. I wear 47-48 and most shoes the cleats adjust really far forward.

donevwil
11-30-2015, 01:43 PM
My wife runs her cleats ~2-3cm behind the ball. We went 2-hole/SPD (some men's Northwaves because they fit her foot well) and I dremeled the cleat retainer slots an extra 1/2cm to get it where we needed.

Vinci
11-30-2015, 02:27 PM
I just swapped some SPD's onto my commuter to test and inadvertently found out that my Pearl Izumi MTB shoes can put the cleat well behind the ball of my foot and well into my arch.

I didn't care for it and moved them forward a bit once I got to work, but maybe that's useful info.

The Speedplay Zero cleats I was riding with on my Sidis previously didn't go nearly as far back.

DFORD
11-30-2015, 03:16 PM
I too like the cleat as far back as possible and Shimano shoes in general are the best. The new power tap pedals put the foot further forward as well.

Custom shoes can drill it in the middle. The girl who just won Kona has some like that I think

oddsaabs
11-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Adam Hansen has his cleats way far back as well. But then again there is nothing standard about that guy.

http://pelotonmagazine.com/pages/from-inside-peloton-adam-hansen/