PDA

View Full Version : Cold setting a steel, chromed frame

sowestport
11-27-2015, 07:40 AM
Folks, I was wondering if there were any issues with the chrome when spreading the rear from 126 to 130mm?

Will it compromise the chroming and create cracks or flaking?

bikinchris
11-27-2015, 08:24 AM
It might, but that's only 22mm per side over the entire chainstay and seatstay. If you don't overdo the stretch and have to come back, you might be able to get away with it.

There's only on way to find out.

bobswire
11-27-2015, 08:28 AM
Folks, I was wondering if there were any issues with the chrome when spreading the rear from 126 to 130mm?

I've done it many times with no problems,in fact you should be able to spread it by hand to slip in a 130mm wheel to check it out.

ultraman6970
11-27-2015, 10:28 AM
TO cold setting from 126 to 130 sometimes you have to go as far as 170 mm because you get like a spring effect and with chrome stays i would not even try to cold set because well the chrome could crack, the other thing is that chrome makes the stays stiffer... you get the idea.

But you can spread the frame by hand while getting the wheel in as bob said.

11-27-2015, 10:53 AM
I'd tend to agree with Ultraman. Cold setting involves really spreading them a good bit more, though 150 mm might easily be sufficient. If this is Italian chroming, not only is it usually fragile but it also is a hot chroming process. Some frame builder on here should chime in with a more expert opinion, but I was always told that chroming was not good for the metal in those Italian bikes.

On the other hand, it's a pain to have to spread the stay ends each time you install a wheel, even if you get adept at it (4 mm isn't much to spread and you can do it almost as fast as you do a wheel change anyway as long as you remember to do it while you slide the wheel in). The precaution here is more that some older frames (i.e. with 126 mm spacing) could have different chain stays on each side, or be brazed in differently, or the chainring crimp on one side causes that stay to bend faster than the other, or whatever, so when you spread them they don't go evenly and it takes more working to get it straight. This is where a frame builder with an alignment table is your best friend. I have had local high-quality frame builders willing to adjust the spacing for something like $50, and it was money well spent. It also gives you an opportunity to interact with a frame builder and begin thoughts about a future frame (since this one is pretty vintage at this point).

ultraman6970
11-27-2015, 11:26 AM
No idea if the tool designed to open the stays (or the wood method) will work faster than using the rod and bolts system. Probably they will because there's more torque.

oldpotatoe
11-27-2015, 11:51 AM

Done it more than once on Euro frames with their suspect chrome. No cracks or wrinkles but ymmv...it may crack.

Fivethumbs
11-27-2015, 02:03 PM
I did this about 10 years ago with my Italian SPX Bottecchia with a full chrome rear triangle. I used the 2x4 method from Sheldon Brown's website. I had to go much further to get it cold set because it would spring back. No issues with chrome cracking then or now.

toytech
11-27-2015, 02:44 PM
I have done a bunch of them on my frame table, care always needs to be taken as it is easy to over spread. I think you would be more likely to have an issue straightening drop outs or fork ends since the bending would be sharper. I have had no issues there either aside from cracked paint once.