PDA

View Full Version : Need some Campy Shimano Advice

big D
05-26-2006, 10:25 AM
I have been running 10sp 105 on my new Guru Veloci'ti for the past 2 months. I cannot seem to get it to work very well. I have had 2 shops look at the derailleurs.

I am thinking about going to a Campy Veloce rear derailleur, Campy casette and brifters from my old bike. I find they just felt better shifting. I have a campy wheels set and everything already. I would use my 105 triple and front derailleur. Will this work with the Campy Shifter?

Thanks

coylifut
05-26-2006, 10:26 AM
yes

Jeremy
05-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Have you had someone check the alignment of the rear der hanger? That frame has a replaceable der hanger. In my experience, replaceable hangers are usually not alighned properly when the frame is shipped to the dealer. There is a special tool that one must use to properly align the hanger. With the super narrow spacing of Shimano 10sp, if the hanger is off, shifting performance can suffer quite alot.

Jeremy

Dave
05-26-2006, 10:54 AM
If I understand your post, you want to use the 105 triple FD with the campy shifters? If not, then just ignore the posting below. The 105 crank alone will work fine.

While in theory, this should work, since campy shifter has up to 12 clicks and sufficient cable pull, I personally had no luck using a shimano triple FD with campy shifters.

Just for an experiment, I bought a DuraAce triple FD, made to work with a 53/39/30, that I was using. I installed it and fiddled with it for at least an hour and never could get it to shift nearly as well as my campy FD, so I took it off and sold it on E-bay. Shimano shifters work in an entirely different manner, using one big bump to move the chain to smaller rings, with the inclusion of 1/2 shifts for trimming. A campy shifter has 12 clicks that are all the same and it takes 3 for most shifts, depending on where you're starting from. Properly setup, it take 7 clicks to operate a campy triple FD.

I've setup a Campy triple FD at least a dozen times in the last 3 years and never had a problem getting decent shifting.

Too Tall
05-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Hold on thar just a gul durn min. bob a looie! You described a set up that should work great. Prev. comment regarding making sure your bike is to spec. is correct. Find a real mechanic!!!