PDA

View Full Version : Bikepacking

Premton
11-25-2015, 09:28 AM
Bikepacking or racks?
I don't think I will use racks after using the Apidura bags.

I've never been a touring guy first of all, until I followed the transcontinental bike race. The bike setups inspired me. It meant that I can use my Pegoretti as I like to be light, fast and stylish.

I had a week with my girlfriend in Italy, Sicily to be exact. I promised her that I will not ride while together if she gave me an extra week for me to ride solo.

My planned route from Sicily to main land involved a ferry crossing to Reggio Calabria. From there I rode across southern Italy until I arrived to my final destination in Bari. With only essentials, eating locally away from tourist and sleeping through AirBNB bookings. The trip was 900Kms in 6 days with one rest day.
Longest day, 298kms 3000m elevation. I did a lot of stops for espresso, food and vistas.

The Kit: Pegoretti Marcelo, Campagnolo Neutron Ultra with Vittoria OC SR, Campagnolo Record revolution 11, Garmin 510 and Exposure lights, Trace and TraceR
Luggage: Apidura saddle bag 14L and Bar bag 9L

Here is a picture of my arrival in Bari

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab360/premton/FullSizeRender.jpg (http://s879.photobucket.com/user/premton/media/FullSizeRender.jpg.html)

ptourkin
11-25-2015, 09:36 AM
Nice rig and route! Did you have an issue with the Apidura rear coming loose and swinging?

I'm registered for the Trans Am race and still considering gear choices.

Premton
11-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Nice rig and route! Did you have an issue with the Apidura rear coming loose and swinging?

I'm registered for the Trans Am race and still considering gear choices.

No never, its a solid bag. I think people tend to over pack, I under pack the gear as to not run on issues. Arranging the wight is also very important. Pack all the heavy items at the bottom first. This way you reduce swing if you want to power off the saddle.

JAllen
11-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Man, that's sweet! The description and photo gave me a sense of vicarious liberation.

numbskull
11-25-2015, 06:22 PM
Interesting.
So what did you end up carrying to complete this trip?

Ciavete
11-25-2015, 06:28 PM
The Peg returns home!

Bravo on your trip!

AngryScientist
11-25-2015, 06:44 PM
very cool!

can you share your packing list? specifically clothing? what did you wear off the bike? extra bibs or wash them in the hotel every night?

craving the details.

great looking trip. nice work! :beer::beer::beer:

Premton
11-26-2015, 04:55 AM
very cool!

can you share your packing list? specifically clothing? what did you wear off the bike? extra bibs or wash them in the hotel every night?

craving the details.

great looking trip. nice work! :beer::beer::beer:

OK here it goes, I will try not to forget anything.

BAR BAG: I had everything in a compressed dry bag from OutdoorResearch.
Casual wear, pair of light weight boxers, pair of compression socks, 1 long pants, short pants/swim, 2 t-shirts, patagonia light sweater and a PackTowel.

SADDLE BAG: (tools) Multi tool, 2 tubes, tire levers, patch-kit, handpump, extra brake&shift cable, and a very small oil bottle.
Charging cables for iphone, lights and garmin, passport and "real" wallet inside a waterproof pelican case with room for my iphone incase of heavy rain.
Inside the compressed dry bag from OutdoorResearch: small soap small toothpaste, toothbrush one use chamois cream packs, a pair of cycling socks 13cm ;), Assos short sleeve, Assos bibs, Assos Sturmprinz.
A pair of Nike Flyknit Free 4.0

WEARING: Cycling shoes, helmet, glasses, second set of kit, socks, gloves, wind-breaker for the mornings and a cap for espresso stops ;)

Having everything inside the compressed dry bag from OutdoorResearch, meant that I could pull out everything at once to get to the tools or the pelican case at the bottom of the Apidura saddle bad.

The Nikes and compression socks were a real luxury to wear after a long day on the saddle. I had to sacrifice flipflops.
Having 2 sets of kit makes life a bit easier as you wash every other day. On arrival I would take the Apidura begs off the bike, and ride around town discovering and searching for that local spot to eat.

marciero
11-26-2015, 06:20 AM
Wow. Sounds very nicely planned and about perfectly executed. Great looking setup. How was the weather? any rain? That rain jacket would also make a stylish off-the-bike piece for walking around town in evenings. But you also had windbreaker.