PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Attic

TimB
05-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Should it stay or should it go?

I have an old Bob Jackson frame (ca. 1992) that was damaged in a crash in 1995. The top tube and down tube are in need of replacement. It used to hang on fishing line from the ceiling at work (for 2 years) until the Safety Officers decided that was too dangerous, and it's been in my attic ever since.

We're moving from MD to NC at the end of June, and are in the process of purging junk before the move.

But should this frame stay in MD - buried in the ground as trash - or make the move to NC? It's unlikely I'll ever have it repaired - that'd cost almost as much as I paid for the frame new - but as the first 'good' bike I ever owned, it's hard to treat is as trash...

Argos
05-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Put it in a box so yor wife doesn't yell at you fro "Dragging that thing all over the country" and bring it. What's one little move? You get to postpone throwing it out for another chunk of time.

What size? :rolleyes:

catulle
05-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Should it stay or should it go?

I have an old Bob Jackson frame (ca. 1992) that was damaged in a crash in 1995. The top tube and down tube are in need of replacement. It used to hang on fishing line from the ceiling at work (for 2 years) until the Safety Officers decided that was too dangerous, and it's been in my attic ever since.

We're moving from MD to NC at the end of June, and are in the process of purging junk before the move.

But should this frame stay in MD - buried in the ground as trash - or make the move to NC? It's unlikely I'll ever have it repaired - that'd cost almost as much as I paid for the frame new - but as the first 'good' bike I ever owned, it's hard to treat is as trash...

I would send it to Peter Weigle and have it restored. Or send it to J. Bell. I wish every day that I could still have my first Legnano. Twenty years from now, you'll be very happy you spent the money to restore the bike and to still have it, atmo. The historical perspective is one of the few advantages of old age, iirc.

stevep
05-26-2006, 08:57 AM
heave it. its junk.

chrisroph
05-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Give it to somebody who might want it.

zap
05-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Leave it.

Or cut it up and make a jackson wind chime out of it. Not an original thought as this was discussed before.

David Kirk
05-26-2006, 09:50 AM
It's worth the cost of having it repaired. If you aren't interested in doing it maybe someone here on the forum would like to take it on. Sell it for the cost of shipping and keep it out of the landfill.

My 2 cents.

Dave

catulle
05-26-2006, 09:55 AM
What size is it? Pics?

texbike
05-26-2006, 10:40 AM
I second the idea of passing it on to a forum member if you're not going to keep it for your own.

If nothing else, it would make great art for the garage wall for some lucky recipient.

Happy Holiday,

Texbike

a100mark
05-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Garage Art for sure! It's got a story to tell anyhow.......

Welcome to NC. What part are moving too? :bike:

dbrk
05-26-2006, 11:16 AM
I bought my Mondia Special brand new in 1972 and still have it. Once, long ago enough but recently enough to prove that I am a complete dope, I sold it. I then could not deal with that idea. I bought it back and the fella' being the sort that he was made sure I paid a premium. I think of this guy as having been put there by the Almighty (perhaps as the Almighty Itself, since you never know in what form the Lord might come...okay, that was a joke...if you are offended, lighten up, I'm a Religion Professor and that's the rule...) so that I wouldn't be so darn stupid again to sell off my past.

The Mondia again hangs in the basement, none too worse for wear. And this is the bike I want buried with me...or sunk in my pond, which is where things go to die in our neck of the woods (literally).

Keep the bike. You will regret selling it. I guarantee that. The cost of keeping it around is explaining it to your wife. She will deal. You will not. Trust me on this one.

dbrk

William
05-26-2006, 11:24 AM
stuff some news paper clippings down the seat tube and then seal it up in a wall. Some day, when the future home owners are re-modeling, they'll find a very unusual time capsule. Just be sure to frame saver it first, we don't want any rust leaking through the walls. ;)

William

Fixed
05-26-2006, 11:45 AM
I bought my Mondia Special brand new in 1972 and still have it. Once, long ago enough but recently enough to prove that I am a complete dope, I sold it. I then could not deal with that idea. I bought it back and the fella' being the sort that he was made sure I paid a premium. I think of this guy as having been put there by the Almighty (perhaps as the Almighty Itself, since you never know in what form the Lord might come...okay, that was a joke...if you are offended, lighten up, I'm a Religion Professor and that's the rule...) so that I wouldn't be so darn stupid again to sell off my past.

The Mondia again hangs in the basement, none too worse for wear. And this is the bike I want buried with me...or sunk in my pond, which is where things go to die in our neck of the woods (literally).

Keep the bike. You will regret selling it. I guarantee that. The cost of keeping it around is explaining it to your wife. She will deal. You will not. Trust me on this one.

dbrk
bro I thought I was the only one to do things like that . I guess it's not about being a dumb messenger then ..that makes me feel better
cheers

Too Tall
05-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Tim, I've seen that frame...it's junk. That said, if the new house has a "guy space" keep it for obvious reasons.

TimB
05-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Junk, he says....

But I tend to agree, and that's the dilemma.

The frame is about 55cm c-c with a 54cm top-tube, I believe. I'll try to snap some pics tonight...

Too Tall
05-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Tim bless your heart for the passion your bring and that dreamy frame BUT you ment to say "crumpled 55cm c-c with a crumpled 54cm top-tube". It's really cool wall art.

TimB
05-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Yes, well my 180lbs at 26mph hitting Tim G's 190lbs at 0mph had quite an effect.

I suspect that the head tube and likely the fork would also show stress/damage when closely inspected.

Crumpled is the word.

And for the first time: I will have a garage in NC in need of decorations. So I will likely try to preserve it for that. I'm not sure I could score a place on the fireplace mantle.

Dekonick
05-26-2006, 11:41 PM
It's worth the cost of having it repaired. If you aren't interested in doing it maybe someone here on the forum would like to take it on. Sell it for the cost of shipping and keep it out of the landfill.

My 2 cents.

Dave

Kirk says keep it... what more do you need?

Too Tall
05-27-2006, 06:10 AM
Well you didn't SAY you had a guy space....RAWK ON :)

TimB
05-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Since Catulle asked...
First pic is of the DT at the shifter bosses, then a full side view (notice the nice kink) and the last is of the TT at the HT lug.

bironi
05-27-2006, 07:23 PM
with a story to boot. Keep her.