PDA

View Full Version : panniers - front or rear?

d_douglas
11-23-2015, 04:57 PM
So, inspired by the post about whether to use a backpack or panniers, I have (re)started thinking about getting some panniers and a rack.

Without stirring up a treatise on bike geometry, can anyone advise as to whether a commuter bike is best off with a front or a rear rack? There is something appealing aesthetically about front racks and panniers, but my guess is that handling is less affected by the use of rear panniers?

Simply put, should I be looking for a rear or a front setup?

Thanks alot!

Bradford
11-23-2015, 05:00 PM
If I tour with just two, I'll use the front because they are heavy and the weight distribution is better.

When I commute, I don't have much in them, usually just a laptop and some undergarments, so I use one small pannier on the non drive side of the rear rack.

d_douglas
11-23-2015, 05:26 PM
I only commute on this bike right now - no touring.

lunch, spare clothes, sometimes my laptop. OK, stopping for groceries on the way home as well.

JAllen
11-23-2015, 11:34 PM
I know what you mean about the aesthetics of running front panniers. That being said, I run a rear set up for commuting. I just wish I knew how to pack lighter...

pdmtong
11-23-2015, 11:51 PM
So, inspired by the post about whether to use a backpack or panniers, I have (re)started thinking about getting some panniers and a rack.

Without stirring up a treatise on bike geometry, can anyone advise as to whether a commuter bike is best off with a front or a rear rack? There is something appealing aesthetically about front racks and panniers, but my guess is that handling is less affected by the use of rear panniers?

Simply put, should I be looking for a rear or a front setup?

Thanks alot!

you nailed it. unless the geo was designed for front load, put the weight in the rear.

marciero
11-24-2015, 06:00 AM
you nailed it. unless the geo was designed for front load, put the weight in the rear.

agree.

Peter P.
11-24-2015, 06:06 AM
I had a friend you ran front panniers on a generic Trek sport touring frame. Never complained. I tried the bike once and saw nothing wrong about the handling. So I'm not so sure front panniers require specific frame geometry.

I ride rear panniers and have no complaints, either.

My only bug with front panniers is the difficulty of mounting the bike on a roof mounted remove-the-front-wheel style bike rack.

jr59
11-24-2015, 06:29 AM
I use to think that a bike needed a type og geo to run front panniers.

Over the last couple of years, I have somewhat proved to myself that is simply not the case. I have been a rear bag guy for many, many years. But after loading my rear bags up, in getting ready for a cross-country ride, I can tell you it doesn't matter at all. I fact, If I ever do get to ride Xcountry, the big bags will go on the front.
Of course I use low rider racks, to get the weight as low as possible.

As long as you have braze ons for front racks, I think it is whatever you like most.

El Chaba
11-24-2015, 06:58 AM
For commuting and the light loads usually associated with it, a rear rack should be fine. It is a lot easier to find and mount a rack on the rear unless the bike is specifically built otherwise. Buy the stiffest rack that you can find and get panniers with a secure mounting system. The real secret to making a bike handle with a load is stiffness. When the loads get heavier, nothing beats front lowriders.

eddief
11-24-2015, 07:27 AM
when I built it I thought it'd look cool with a front basket. I went to the store once, stuck a full shopping bag in the basket, rode home, removed the basket. This is on my New Albion Privateer. The steering was super wanky with the weight high on the front.

Then I bought a Rack Time rear rack and Ortlieb shopping panniers. Never look/looked back.

Geeheeb
11-24-2015, 07:58 AM
The steering was super wanky with the weight high on the front.
yeah you gotta get that weight low, front or back.

charliedid
11-24-2015, 08:37 AM
What bike? How far?

Either way I would do the rear for normal to light commuting. When touring and running only front, I find the bike feeling "lighter" and more stable from a dead stop getting up to speed (standing) or when in hills.

For commuting I find one rear on the drive side much easier to navigate and the balance seems better since I dismount on the non-drive side. Quick access to the bag for my lock etc is a breeze. Not so much the front...

Just my 2