PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with your sweaty back on your commute?

velofinds
11-23-2015, 09:21 AM
So, today was the coldest day of the season so far, and every part of me was fine this morning except my back, which was drenched in sweat thanks to the backpack that I wear on my commute (note: messenger bags aren't much better in my experience). Is there any way around this - that is to say, is there a product (be it a jacket, jersey, or even a bag) that contemplates and attempts to address this issue - or is there no getting around the inescapable heat between your bag and back on which it rests? I really want to avoid using a saddle bag except during the dog days of summer.

ergott
11-23-2015, 09:23 AM
Made the switch to rack and rear bag. There's just no way around it.

Much happier this way.

Lewis Moon
11-23-2015, 09:24 AM
Are you wearing a jacket/vest with back ventilation?

mecse
11-23-2015, 09:27 AM
So, today was the coldest day of the season so far, and every part of me was fine this morning except my back, which was drenched in sweat thanks to the backpack that I wear on my commute (note: messenger bags aren't much better in my experience). Is there any way around this - that is to say, is there a product (be it a jacket, jersey, or even a bag) that contemplates and attempts to address this issue - or is there no getting around the inescapable heat between your bag and back on which it rests? I really want to avoid using a saddle bag except during the dog days of summer.

Rack+bag is much nicer than any solution. I have one of those backpacks which has structure + netting to keep fresh air on my back, but it's still annoying.

Bradford
11-23-2015, 09:31 AM
I gave up on back packs 25 years ago. If I didn't have a touring bike with a rack that I could use for commuting, I wouldn't commute by bike.

I also only wear winter jackets with a venting material on the back. All I need in the winter is something to block the wind up front and a high enough collar to cover my neck; I'll layer to the right temperature underneath.

Wet is uncomfortable anytime of year, but it is brutal in the winter.

sandyrs
11-23-2015, 09:31 AM
No way around it. I shower at work. If we didn't have showers, I would bring a towel and a fresh shirt and change as soon as I got to work.

stronzo
11-23-2015, 09:34 AM
Agree with the others. Don't see any way around this other than getting the weight off your back. There are so many new rack/bag solutions these days, I'd look for something that suits your style.

johngmartin
11-23-2015, 09:34 AM
+100 with the rack and bag combo. I put a front soma porteur rack on my commuter to strap my bag to, and while it makes the steering a bit touchier, it is a huge improvement in the sweat-department. The porteur rack also does double duty when my eyes are bigger than my backpack at the grocery store.

On the worst summer days, I ride extra slow and bring an extra shirt.

velofinds
11-23-2015, 09:37 AM
I also only wear winter jackets with a venting material on the back.

Are you wearing a jacket/vest with back ventilation?

Admittedly, I am not. What are some examples of this? (and would/do they work in this type of use case?)

fiamme red
11-23-2015, 09:44 AM
As long as you change at work, a sweaty back isn't much of a problem. That said, I don't like cycling with weight on my back and much prefer rack and pannier(s) to a backpack or messenger bag.

Lewis Moon
11-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Admittedly, I am not. What are some examples of this? (and would/do they work in this type of use case?)

Caveat: I dress in full kit, commute on my race bike and take a cat bath (baby wipes) and change at work. I use my commute as a workout and ride anywhere from 25 - 45 miles. I wear a pack specifically designed for commuting; it has a waffle and mesh back that breathes pretty well. Also, if you keep it light, it works very well.
During the winter I wear a wind vest with back ventilation, pretty much as I would wear on a regular training ride.
If you're commuting in work clothes, I'd go with a rack.

azrider
11-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Full kit to work with my work attire being dress slacks and button down or vendor/partner polo shirt.

I have moved away from racks to carrying everything in my backpack. To me, riding with 8lbs of laptop/shoes/clothes on my back each morning makes my group rides THAT much easier on Saturday and Sunday.

That said, the sweat thing sucks. I have devised a system where I wrap my rolled pants, work shirt in a bag (target bag or plastic grocery bag) and then my shoes in a second bag so that by the time I get to work everything is completely dry. Then I just take my backpack to my desk and let it air out throughout the day and then do it all over again for the ride home.

Works perfectly for me.

velofinds
11-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Caveat: I dress in full kit, commute on my race bike and take a cat bath (baby wipes) and change at work. I use my commute as a workout and ride anywhere from 25 - 45 miles. I wear a pack specifically designed for commuting; it has a waffle and mesh back that breathes pretty well. Also, if you keep it light, it works very well.
During the winter I wear a wind vest with back ventilation, pretty much as I would wear on a regular training ride.

Thanks. I don't commute in my work clothes, so my situation is pretty similar to yours, although it sounds like you are riding much harder and farther during your commute than I am. The pack (and wind vest, for that matter) sounds pretty interesting. Which one is it?

palincss
11-23-2015, 09:56 AM

Sure. Don't use a backpack. This was my commuter until I retired (and then with a crankset and cassette change, it became my touring bike):

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/135/326011537_ad5074cdb0_b.jpg

Joachim
11-23-2015, 09:58 AM

Which backpack do you use? I am looking for one with a good wet compartment to store my cycling kit.

Lewis Moon
11-23-2015, 10:02 AM
Full kit to work with my work attire being dress slacks and button down or vendor/partner polo shirt.

I have moved away from racks to carrying everything in my backpack. To me, riding with 8lbs of laptop/shoes/clothes on my back each morning makes my group rides THAT much easier on Saturday and Sunday.

That said, the sweat thing sucks. I have devised a system where I wrap my rolled pants, work shirt in a bag (target bag or plastic grocery bag) and then my shoes in a second bag so that by the time I get to work everything is completely dry. Then I just take my backpack to my desk and let it air out throughout the day and then do it all over again for the ride home.

Works perfectly for me.

I have a set of "work shoes" that I leave under the desk, which seriously cuts down on the backpack volume. I wear one of these (http://www.rei.com/product/881248/novara-eta-bike-backpack) and have never had a problem with wet clothes.

Lewis Moon
11-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Thanks. I don't commute in my work clothes, so my situation is pretty similar to yours, although it sounds like you are riding much harder and farther during your commute than I am. The pack (and wind vest, for that matter) sounds pretty interesting. Which one is it?

It's an older Sugoi, which I can't find, but it's a lot like this (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/capo-padrone-hv-w-vest?skidn=CAP000D-BK-S&ti=UExQIENhdDpNZW4ncyBDeWNsaW5nIFZlc3RzOjE6NzpjY0N hdDEwMDIyOQ==)
A lot of companies make them. Google "cycling wind vest".

velofinds
11-23-2015, 10:14 AM
[Question already answered elsewhere]

Lewis Moon
11-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Which backpack do you use? I am looking for one with a good wet compartment to store my cycling kit.

I use an REI Novara ETA (http://www.rei.com/product/863028/novara-eta-backpack) It has been absolutely perfect.
A couple of suggestions for packing:
a) leave a pair of shoes at work
b) try not to pack hard/bulky items, like soup cans. Think where they will end up if you crash; displacing a vertebrae.
c) always carry an extra tube in your pack (beyond what you would regularly carry). Flats on the way to work are a PITA.

azrider
11-23-2015, 10:32 AM
I have a set of "work shoes" that I leave under the desk, which seriously cuts down on the backpack volume. I wear one of these (http://www.rei.com/product/881248/novara-eta-bike-backpack) and have never had a problem with wet clothes.

Ha......funny you mention the shoes solution. I tried exactly what you mentioned last week and it worked out great so that'll be my SOP moving forward.

Walking from the bathroom to my desk in my socks makes me feel like Andy Dufresne walking through the prison with the wardens shoes, hoping no one will notice............

That backpack looks sweet! But I'm extremely frugal and will continue to use the free backpack I got from one of our Software vendors......once it dies i'll give your suggestion a look

gdw
11-23-2015, 10:42 AM
What do you currently carry in your pack and what type of bike are you riding?

azrider
11-23-2015, 10:43 AM
I use an REI Novara ETA (http://www.rei.com/product/863028/novara-eta-backpack) It has been absolutely perfect.

Here is a waterproof PACK I was checking out but the eighteen wheeler TARP material seems like it would make the sweating WORSE, even though contents are kept dry doesn't seem like a good commuting pack.....

Veloo
11-23-2015, 10:45 AM
I also switched to racks on the commuter to avoid the sweaty back.
I've also toned down the commuting speed so avoid sweating as much as possible. In cooler weather I can even get away with not bringing a change of clothes. Easier to do since my commute is only 7 km to work.
Years ago I put one of those collapsible wire racks on the one side of the road bike and would drop my backpack into it.
I started having pain when I would ride my nice bike on the weekends. Discovered that it was the imbalance of having the heavy backpack on just one side. So now I use those double pannier bags that drape over on top of the rack and try my best to balance both sides.

Years later my friend mentioned leg pain on the one leg when he went for a first ride after many years. I asked if he had any imbalance and he said he did have a soda can in the one pocket of his trousers during the ride.

txcid05
11-23-2015, 11:09 AM

Works perfectly for me.

Same thing here! Hate hauling a backpack, but certainly adds some difficulty to the intervals I often do to and from the office. Currently using this pack: really a great purchase. I love it: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/timbuk2-especial-medio-backpack-1830cu-in?skidn=TBK000R-BK-ONESIZ&ti=UExQIENhdDpUcmF2ZWw6MTozOmNhdDEwMDIwMzAzMQ==

jr59
11-23-2015, 11:18 AM
You can use this rack with your road bike

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/racks/streamliner/streamliner-road-dlx/

Elefantino
11-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Even though we don't stock it, we've ordered the Axiom bag for a couple of customers who want racks for their road bikes. They're good.

I started with the shoes at work thing and it's a keeper. We're thinking of re-setting up a shower at the shop so that will solve the sweat problem. Until then, it's the sink, shop towels and plenty of soap.

Lewis Moon
11-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Here is a waterproof PACK I was checking out but the eighteen wheeler TARP material seems like it would make the sweating WORSE, even though contents are kept dry doesn't seem like a good commuting pack.....

I would hope that most commuter packs would have some provision for keeping the sweat away from the pack's contents. Even though the Novara has a mesh and perforated waffle foam back panel (which breathes well) there's a layer of neoprene and coated pack material between that and interior.
I would stay away from any pack that doesn't provide some sort of breathing channels, etc. on the back panel.

gdw
11-23-2015, 11:37 AM
A simple and cheap solution to your problem if you're only carrying work attire is to roll your clothes around your shoes and stuff them in a drybag of the appropriate diameter and strap the bag to your handlebars. You don't need a rack, rack bag, backpack etc. A drybag and two straps with side release buckles of the correct length can be purchased form REI for around $25.

cdn_bacon
11-23-2015, 12:07 PM
I use this. not the largest backpack, but on the days that I have to drive into work, I bring in clothing for those days so I have only my lunch to commute with. Good ventiliation as the pads are fairly firm and raise the pack off my pack. Check out the backview for details. Paid $65 Canadian for mine. love it.

http://www.deuter.com/DE/en/bike/race-x-32123-76.html

d_douglas
11-23-2015, 12:10 PM
I am in the same position. After years upon years of commuting with a backpack (and ruining my back with a courier bag for a bit) I am starting to think panniers and a rack are a good idea.

Ortlieb all the way.

ergott
11-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Second Ortlieb. I went with the one that holds a computer. Fits 15.4" MacBook Pro perfectly. They tilt the bag on the mount to give you extra heel clearance.

As far as one sided extra weight, I've never heard of that being an issue before. When I'm riding, the bike doesn't feel lopsided to me at all.

https://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Cycling/The-bikes/i-7kJnXHK/0/X2/20151029_070716-X2.jpg

Bradford
11-23-2015, 12:34 PM

I use this jacket from REI: http://www.rei.com/product/883046/novara-headwind-bike-jacket-mens

My current jacket is the second one I've had and I have no need for anything else.

Iansir
11-23-2015, 03:34 PM
Vest with mesh back and backpack with good ventilation have been key to fixing this for me

etu
11-23-2015, 04:15 PM
used a large saddle bag, but now I wear a backpack with a frame and mesh that allows for ventilation.
using a saddle bag or rear rack really has a negative impact on the ride quality of the bike IMO. a rear load really dampens the liveliness of a frame that is noticeable even when pedaling seated. had a front loading porteur style bike with low trail for a few months that felt good and may eventually be my long term commuting set up.

mg2ride
11-23-2015, 04:26 PM
I really want to avoid using a saddle bag except during the dog days of summer.

I'm not interested in trying to talk you out of it but I'm curious as to why you want to avoid a bag?

Kirk007
11-23-2015, 05:42 PM
I hate using backpack and messenger bag, not the sweat so much - just the weight doesn't agree with my back. I use a midsize Swift seat bag, and now I have a front rack and bag if I need it. I've also managed to minimize my needs for what I carry - most days I leave my laptop at the office, I have a shower at the office, and I work for a nonprofit so dress is casual. That leaves me with lunch, on occasion some different clothes, and then the luxury of loading up the seat bag with some extra weather gear. I don't find that the seat bag interferes with the ride. I know the weight it there when I lift the bike but not when riding.

Peter P.
11-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Maybe the OP is overdressing. I suppose he could just be a heavy sweater.

The OP doesn't mention the weather conditions he's riding in but perhaps he could dress more lightly to reduce heat buildup as long as it doesn't induce a chill or frostbite on exposed skin. He could be overdressed for the conditions.

A jacket with armpit zippers or a chest/back vent would be an option, as would switching from a jacket to a vest. An outer layer with more porousness/ more breathability might work. Switch from a balaclava to a skull cap.

I do tend to agree with the others; a rack and panniers solves the issue once and for all.

Shadwhand
11-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Its not the most flattering picture, but this is how I avoid sweaty back - front rack with a large Chrome porteur bag in the front to carry all of the crap I need for work:

http://i.imgur.com/0KnY3bKm.jpg (http://imgur.com/0KnY3bK)

velofinds
11-23-2015, 08:44 PM
I'm not interested in trying to talk you out of it but I'm curious as to why you want to avoid a bag?

My commute is my main chance/opportunity to ride, and I don't love the feeling of having a bag on the bike, especially when riding out of the saddle or climbing. All things being equal, I'd rather have stuff hang off of me than off the bike, even if neither is especially desirable.

With that said, I do run a saddle bag in the summer (as I alluded to earlier) just because it's so friggin' hot.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/514/20185005949_f28dd56070_c.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3804/20098929208_ba1fffd987_c.jpg

onsight512
11-23-2015, 09:13 PM
Sure. Don't use a backpack. This was my commuter until I retired (and then with a crankset and cassette change, it became my touring bike):

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/135/326011537_ad5074cdb0_b.jpg

Nice Kogswell!

And as many have said, get a rack and panniers. I made that switch a couple months ago. The only thing that I wish was that I had done it a couple years ago.

Bradford
11-24-2015, 08:10 AM
leegf, if that is your set up, I understand your dilemma. I think that saddle bag is to big and too high. Weight that high is never good on a bike, which is why good front and rear racks get the weight as low as possible.

A good touring bike*, or even a good sport touring bike/club racer type will give you the right horse for the course. Get the weight off your back, on rack, and down low. With the kind of weight I commute with, I don't even feel it on the rack. I have to reach back with my heel every now and then to make sure the pannier is still on.

As a bonus, you will be able to run fatter tires, which is always a nice place commuting through a city.

*and I did say a good touring bike. A crappy touring bike will ride like a tractor, a good touring bike will ride like a bike.

Grant McLean
11-24-2015, 08:28 AM
Wire basket on top of the rack, or in front basket and just drop in the backpack.
I'll wear the backpack sometimes, if I get warm, it goes in the basket.
For shorter commutes the pannier is more work to handle than a backpack.
If you're making a few stops after work, or locking the bike just grab the bag
and go.

-g

AJosiahK
11-24-2015, 08:52 AM
has been an issue in the warm weather for me.

No matter how much I try, my commuters have slowly been de racked / un-bagged etc

Im a backpack type I guess.

But I do work in a place were riding into work is OK, being a little sweaty is OK, and I wear a kit, ie bring a change of cloths.

audi666
11-24-2015, 09:28 AM
As someone who does both I think there are advantages to each.

My commute is 32mi RT of mostly flat urban riding and I either do it on my Carbon roadie or one of my CX rigs fully kitted. I keep dress shoes/clothes at work and change there using the sink, some essential oils, and a little deodorant.

Ive used rear racks with panniers and never loved it. I commute year round and agree that you can get yourself into trouble with a book bag if you need to stop for a prolonged time due to a mechanical and have a super sweaty back in sub-freezing temps.

As for bags I quit using messenger bags years ago and swapped to a smaller fully waterproof chrome bag along with a huge one (mostly for grocery trips and travel) and also use my cammelbak which is much smaller to keep the sweat back area down.

Over the winter I will usually use my Carradice bag along with a Bagman support that uses the saddle rails only (I hate the feeling of bags swaying). I have also been looking into some large bike packing saddle bags that also only use the rails of your saddle for the frame. I saw Arkey at the philly bike expo and took a look that their rear bag + support as well as their handle bar bags. http://www.arkel-od.com/en/bikepacking.html

eippo1
11-24-2015, 11:30 AM
What about a Relevate Tangle bag? Been tossing around the idea of using one for commuting to my seasonal shop job. No rack and keeps the weight in the middle. Only problem would be having to roll everything up.

Don't commute for my regular job because suits don't travel well period and I don't have an office to stash anything.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/frame-bags/TangleFrameBag

NateM
11-24-2015, 02:55 PM
I use a backpack with a mesh that keeps the bulk of it off my back,it helps some. Vaude is the company, a few to choose from here http://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Backpacks/Bike-Backpacks/Bike-Alpin-30-5-indian-red.html
I tried a seatpost rack, then hanging a small pannier, hated the handling effect on the bikes. Calfee,Serotta Ti,wrong bikes for this. I put up with a little sweat.

SlackMan
11-24-2015, 04:11 PM
I use the Ortleib Velocity which has padding that causes the pack to stand off the back and promote air flow. It's much better than other packs I have used, and pretty much totally waterproof.

http://lumberjac.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Ortlieb-Waterproof-Velocity-Messenger-Backpack-4-LumberJac.jpg

velofinds
11-24-2015, 10:09 PM
I use the Ortleib Velocity which has padding that causes the pack to stand off the back and promote air flow.

Ooh, I like this. Do the pads actually work?

Nice tip.

SlackMan
11-25-2015, 06:26 AM
Ooh, I like this. Do the pads actually work?

Nice tip.

I think they do. There is significant airflow around the pads. It helps to periodically twist and shrug my torso a bit just to reposition the pads for a few seconds and let air flow underneath them.

Jgrooms
11-25-2015, 10:13 AM
While I don't use it for commuting, a Ergon pack puts the load on your hips via external frame pack theory. This creates a channel & controls sweaty back quite well.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/25/2d6c7078c00eb553f2f676825cd3a4f4.jpg

many_styles
11-25-2015, 01:00 PM
Don't think anyone has suggested this, but what about cycling/commuter train/driving in with a week's worth of work clothes? Then the other days you're cycling without bag!