PDA

View Full Version : KMC Chain - Direction?

Tony T
11-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Trying a KMC 11s for the first time.
Does direction matter?

Cicli
11-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Nope. Either way works fine.
The directional thing was on some Shimano chains. Not anymore.

Tony T
11-22-2015, 08:26 PM
Thanks.
(I think Campy wants their chain in a certain direction, at least it looks that way in their installation video)

oldpotatoe
11-23-2015, 06:02 AM
Thanks.
(I think Campy wants their chain in a certain direction, at least it looks that way in their installation video)

I love Campagnolo but their instruction videos are devoid of simple things like grease. I install all 'pinned' chains, all shimano and Campagnolo 11s, with the inside of the link 'pulling' and the label on the chain out. BUT Campag chains aren't directional but shimano 10s and 11s chains are.

KMC and sram are not.

shovelhd
11-23-2015, 06:16 AM
KMC 11 speed chains are not directional but I've found that installing the fat end of the Missing Link in the forward direction helps shifting. Shimano 11 speed chains, some are marked directional and others are not. Connecting pin placement matters, but I don't use them. The 11 speed Campy/Shimano Missing Links work fine on Shimano chains.

jtolive
11-23-2015, 06:16 AM
Shimano 11 speed chains were directional. The newer ones are not(like CN9000). Basically if there is a slot cut in the one side of side plate then the chain is directional and the slot goes on the outside. If there is no slot (the newer chains) than it is omni directional. You do still want the pin pulling not pushing.

Tony T
11-23-2015, 08:17 AM
I love Campagnolo but their instruction videos are devoid of simple things like grease. I install all 'pinned' chains, all shimano and Campagnolo 11s, with the inside of the link 'pulling' and the label on the chain out. BUT Campag chains aren't directional but shimano 10s and 11s chains are.

Yeah, that's what I meant by Campy's video makes it look like they want the chain is a certain "direction". They put a zip-tie on the end with the (2) plates and instruct to cut the other end of the chain and then they show the zip-tied plates wrapped over the top of the chainring, thereby having the installed pin pulling.

oldpotatoe
11-23-2015, 09:05 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant by Campy's video makes it look like they want the chain is a certain "direction". They put a zip-tie on the end with the (2) plates and instruct to cut the other end of the chain and then they show the zip-tied plates wrapped over the top of the chainring, thereby having the installed pin pulling.

I think their videos are fine but never any grease anywhere.