PDA

View Full Version : lost and found

Bittersweet
05-25-2006, 05:10 PM
I've been lamenting the loss of the Kronan North American importer. It was difficult to spread the city bike gospel. I know all about Broadway Bicycle and ANT bikes etc etc etc but the ability to choose colors, low cost, bullet proof and priced very right is a big selling point with non-cyclist. Made in the USA. Check it out. Bakfiets but made in the US and available here with a little bit of mods.

http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/indbikes.html

sell it to the pizza delivery guy if it doesn't work out.

Too Tall
05-26-2006, 07:27 AM
I'm not sure I'm understanding. Is workman going out of business? I sure hope not, they contribute so much.

FWIIW - I have a new, never used Workman adult tricycle we bought for my dear departed dad. Any forum member interested, give me a shout. When we got this bike I was pretty darn amazed with the quality. SA gears and nicely painted. They make good stuff.

Dang, now I want an ice creme bike for retirement. Hmmmm. OK, I just want the bells ;)

rsl
05-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Bittersweet - thank you!

My wife has been wanting just such a bike for quite awhile. I even recently posted to see if people had ideas for where to buy vintage 3 speeds around Boston.

I think one of the workman's would be perfect for her.

Bittersweet
05-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Worksman is running fine. The Kronan NA distributor is gone as far as I can tell and you can't get a Kronan in the US anymore. A friend hooked me up with Worksman and it looks like a great company. I'm a hair's breadth away from ordering an ice cream trike with umbrella for myself just for the fun of it. I love sites like Worksman.

davids
05-26-2006, 09:55 AM
I see they make a Boneshaker. $850...

andy mac
05-26-2006, 10:46 AM
when we moved to amsterdam i was really hot to get a kronan as i loved the look of them and worked in the same street as the store. i rode a friend's and i thought it looked a lot better than it rode. it was really hard work to pedal. it also rusted up pretty quickly but then it was a working bike and lived out in the streets.

i ended up buying a used junkie clunker and i love it. cruised much better - maybe a gearing, wheel combo, geo combo.

couldn't bear to part with my old junker, it's followed me from europe and is now on it's way to australia.

a 40 euro bike = priceless.

Bittersweet
05-26-2006, 11:56 AM
I have a Kronan 3 spd. Not too much trouble with rust and I rode it for a couple of years in the rain, sleet, snow, salt of Boston to the T station everyday. Every surface is painted dark green including the rims. It's no high-quality build but that's not the point on these city bikes.

I put the max sized cog on the back to gear it down a little for the Arlington water tower hill. It's still one of my all time favorite bikes that I pedal everywhere with the kids. Stand on the top tube and do low budget circus tricks to make em' giggle, etc.

Worksman looks great to me and its not too beach cruiser but true newsboy in style.