PDA

View Full Version : Rapha bar tape question

Cicli
11-22-2015, 01:00 PM
So, I just installed some Cinelli Rapha tape. Can anyone tell me which Cinelli tape it is? Awesome stuff. That Lizard skins stuff was garbage.

Jaq
11-22-2015, 01:05 PM
Ya know, I came here prepared to mock the tape with some sorta line about being made of Peruvian llama bladders, but 30 bucks for some nice wrap seems a good deal. Wish they had more colors, but maybe that's coming.

Cicli
11-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Ya know, I came here prepared to mock the tape with some sorta line about being made of Peruvian llama bladders, but 30 bucks for some nice wrap seems a good deal. Wish they had more colors, but maybe that's coming.

I think its the same stuff as the Caliedo or whatever its called. Its nice leather like tape that looks like it will last a long time.

dalava
11-22-2015, 01:57 PM
I like my Fizik Superlight 2mm with softtouch (suede like feel). Relatively inexpensive and very functional.

Cicli
11-22-2015, 02:02 PM
I like my Fizik Superlight 2mm with softtouch (suede like feel). Relatively inexpensive and very functional.

Yeah, Fizik was my favorite.
I am looking for the plane jane equivilant of the Rapha stuff.

R3awak3n
11-22-2015, 02:24 PM
See i dont like the cineli caleido stuff at all, much prefer the fizik tape. Lizard skin is now on my road bike. Its nice and all but not worth the money, gonna stick with fizik microtex from now on.

apple
02-18-2016, 08:51 AM
need new tape and thinking about replacing my fizik black tape with some of the rapha cinelli stuff, the black ones with the pink base. would this look weird in general with the pink and nothing else pink on my bike?

chiasticon
02-18-2016, 08:57 AM
That Lizard skins stuff was garbage.wow, really? I've been really happy with mine. have it on three bikes. I ride without gloves the majority of the time and having it be super grippy really helps.

Cinelli tape: my experience has been that it's all quite good. that doesn't help you. but I'm just saying even if you order the wrong one, it likely won't suck.

was also a really big fan of the fizik tape I had of the "tacky" variety. their standard tape is pretty meh though.

apple
02-18-2016, 09:01 AM
I also don't understand the Lizard Skin hate I see. I used it for a couple years and had no issues, even with reinstalling it a couple times over that period, other than it got really slippery with sweat. It was comfortable though.

rwerkudara
02-18-2016, 09:12 AM
need new tape and thinking about replacing my fizik black tape with some of the rapha cinelli stuff, the black ones with the pink base. would this look weird in general with the pink and nothing else pink on my bike?

Imo it doesn't look weird as it's very subtle. I have it on my bike now and my frame is a light baby blue color. Overall very good tape.

buckfifty
02-18-2016, 03:18 PM
After a while, Lizard skin loses its grip. My sweaty hands makes it really slick. Padding on the 2.5 is good though

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Spdntrxi
02-18-2016, 03:36 PM
I have Rapha on my wife's bike and fizik on mine... Fizik is much perferred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eBAUMANN
02-18-2016, 03:42 PM
the non-soft touch fizik microtex tape is pretty amazing stuff. ive had the same roll on 4-5 different bikes (my commuters) over the past FOUR YEARS. its amazing, still looks great, cant find a reason to change it out!

that said, i also use the cinelli caleido tape and its pretty nice as well, though doesnt wrap quite as flat due to its dual-layer construction.

benb
02-18-2016, 04:01 PM
We've been through the Lizard Skins stuff before.. most of the hate is it falling apart if you stretch it a lot during installation.

Never been a problem for me though, I've rewrapped bars 4-5x with Lizard Skins without it delaminating.

I just (last month?) put the Fizik 2.5mm stuff on my bike it's really nice.

Jad
02-18-2016, 04:21 PM
I'd try the RaphaxCinelli stuff, but don't like the pastel accents. +1 as a big fan of Fizik Superlight soft touch tape. I've also tried Zipp Service Course as an alternative (sort of?) to Lizardskins--it's been ok.

chiasticon
02-19-2016, 07:15 AM
We've been through the Lizard Skins stuff before.. most of the hate is it falling apart if you stretch it a lot during installation.missed the discussion, I guess.

fwiw, says on the packaging, in bold print: "DO NOT STRETCH" :no:

crossjunkee
04-06-2016, 10:15 AM
So, I just installed some Cinelli Rapha tape. Can anyone tell me which Cinelli tape it is? Awesome stuff. That Lizard skins stuff was garbage.

Still liking the tape? How did it hold up over the winter? The black with pink is very subtle and almost looks more red.

ANAO
04-06-2016, 11:58 AM
Still liking the tape? How did it hold up over the winter? The black with pink is very subtle and almost looks more red.

I actually just retaped mine for the third time and is still comfortable. Duke-Approved™.

Cicli
04-06-2016, 12:34 PM

Yep, it is awesome and holds up very well. I hope the Cinelli Caliedo works as well. I have another bike that needs tape.

bloody sunday
04-06-2016, 01:39 PM
tried lizardskins - too expensive, and the thin 1.8 ones wore holes in it after only a couple rides

livingminimal
04-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Hate lizard skins. Hate. It.

Really love the Rapha stuff. Kinda wraps like ···· though.

Dead Man
04-06-2016, 02:57 PM
We've been through the Lizard Skins stuff before.. most of the hate is it falling apart if you stretch it a lot during installation.

Never been a problem for me though, I've rewrapped bars 4-5x with Lizard Skins without it delaminating.

First time, I figured I just wrapped it too tight

Second time, I figured well... even though it's slipped off the bars, maybe I STILL wrapped it too tight (slipped and also still delaminated)

THIRD time, that itshay went in the trash.

How many one-more-chances you gonna give 'em?

It is weird how so many different people have different experiences with them... but I personally just attribute that to the fact that their product is incredibly inconsistent, and those who haven't had problems yet are just lucky.

Compared to a dozen other bar tapes that never delaminate or melt off your bars, their stuff is junk in my book.

R3awak3n
04-06-2016, 04:36 PM
lizard skin sucks, I am sorry. Also its super over priced, I think thats the bigger problem.

chriscap
04-06-2016, 04:47 PM

Same here. I really like the new perforation pattern they're using for the 2.5. I also find that tape itself doesn't feel anymore bulky than the 2mm version (which was a concern since I have small hands).

Only downside I see currently is lack of color choices for the 2.5 compared to fizik's other tapes. But I'm sure they'll expand the offerings if it becomes popular.

Spdntrxi
04-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Fizik tape is my favorite .. 2mm lightweight stuff.. Lizard skins was a pita.. No more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
04-06-2016, 04:49 PM
zipp service course cx tape. good stuff!

commonguy001
04-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Tried the Fizik 3mm tacky touch on my last tape job and really like it. Just enough extra cushion but not fat like cinelli gel tape

franswa
04-06-2016, 09:18 PM
The Zipp service course CX tape is, by far, my favorite. I've had the Caleido on two different bikes and it was not very comfortable at all. Looked great, though! I'm recently prioritizing comfort over vanity.