PDA

View Full Version : White Lightening...

Dude
03-28-2004, 05:10 PM
I'm not just talking about myself either... but about lubes in general. I know there have been a hundred threads about the stuff but I had specific questions about white lightening.

Question number 1. I tried using it last season (road bike), I would reapply pretty frequently, but I would get this terrible creaking sound from my drivetrain (which, subsequently was my "dry" drivetrain). I would reapply the stuff and after an hour or so I would get the creaking again. Am I using it right?

Question number 2. Do i have to do the 100-200 mile degrease/regrease the chain if i am using white lightening or do i just slather more of it on?

I have heard good things about it but still hesitant to use it from last years dabblings. Thanks for your responses!!

Kevin
03-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Dude,

It sounds like you are applying it according to the directions and yes you have to clean the chain every two hundred miles.

I tried White Lightening a couple of years ago and did not like it. I found that it attracted dirt and developed a film. This all caused in an increase in the need for me to clean my chain. I switched to Pro Link. Pro Link lasts longer, it does not attract dirt and it does not develop a film. While I have no scientific proof, my chains also seem to have a longer life whe I use Pro Link as compared to when I used White Lightening. I suggest that you try Pro Link.

Kevin

larryp2
03-28-2004, 05:23 PM
I had the same problems with Pedro's Ice Wax and also am much happier with ProLink.....ljp

Dude
03-28-2004, 05:37 PM
I usually use pro link, dumonde tech or Finish Line "Wet" but wanted to try the white lightning (again). If the three of us had problems with the WL, how come more people don't. I feel like I am missing something. Maybe everyone else is wrong and we are right (?)

keno
03-28-2004, 05:39 PM
has been very highly recommended by Tom Kellogg, Mr. Spectrum. He's not the owner of Psycho Lube but a member, only.

keno

Too Tall
03-29-2004, 07:44 AM
Psycholube is the real deal BUT the cloud of poisionous fumes will kill the cat. Tried it, love it but you can have my leftovers....spray paint and a paper bag is cheaper ;) This winter I tried darn near every lube recommended by this forum in search of the "holy grail" eg. 200 miles'ish with no re-apply. None of the products worked better than ProLink. To test I used new chains and a whipperman chain checker. Darn near ANY lube "out there" will appear to work fine if you don't ride much, over maintain or ride in perfect conditions. Finishline with teflon and Prolink for moi.

Doc Hollywood
03-29-2004, 09:22 AM
I don't know of anyone that really likes this stuff. Interesting idea/concept, but it doesn't work well. They sold a LOT of it when it first came out, but now, most shops don't recommend it.
Has to be reapplied often
Doesn't last long in the wet or even dry (50 to 80 miles max)
If put on wrong can cause a black tarry mess
Bottle tip often clogs
Always needs to be applied to a clean/grease free chain

The Pedro's conterpart, Ice Wax, washes off in water. It's great for beach cruiser bikes rental because sand/dirt doesn't stick to it well and at the end of the week it can be hosed off with water and then reapplied without much chain claining. The down side of this stuff is that it also doesn't last more than 50 miles and doesn't last at all in the wet. Not a problem for a beach cruiser as they are not ridden typically in the wet or more than 50 miles in any day/week.

There are lots of better lubes out ther, IMO, than WL. I like Slick Willy products because they are very clean, last a long time, and their wet condition lube, Slush Armor, out lasts anything I've tried for wet riding. Others have mentioned other good lube systems for you to try. Each has their pluses and minus, but they should all out perform WL.

Doc

Chief
03-29-2004, 11:34 AM
I used WL and gave up on it--too much buildup of gonk and dirt. I'm a firm believer in Dumonde Tech--easy to apply, need only clean chain with detergent, long lasting. I have used it on chains that have 6-7k miles on them.

Chief
03-29-2004, 11:35 AM
I used WL and gave up on it--too much buildup of gunk and dirt. I'm a firm believer in Dumonde Tech--easy to apply, need only clean chain with detergent, long lasting. I have used it on chains that have 6-7k miles on them.

Ozz
03-29-2004, 11:36 AM
same experience as CHIEF.

Used to use WL, went to ProLink, now use Dumonde Tech.

ProLink is good, but Dumonde Tech makes drivetrain quieter and the lube lasts much longer.

Kevan
03-29-2004, 11:49 AM
White lightening is a byproduct of cottage cheese and buttermilk. Damnest stuff I ever enjoyed tossing.

Dude
03-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the help Forumites. I figured that I have what I like, why change it. I'm happy with my wet stuff so i'll just stick with it.

awd
06-26-2004, 12:23 AM
I also use Dumonde Tech and very pleased. Lasts way longer than WL and pretty much all other lubes especially in the wet / extreme conditions.

froze
06-26-2004, 01:12 AM
All wax based lubes are crap!! end of story. What the heck do you all pro wax folk think that noise is after you only rode for about 60 miles? Of course you know it's the chain, but did you also know that noise means wear? And your chain was actually wearing out before you actually heard the racket! Would you drive your car if the engine was making noise?

Any other kind of lube is better, which is best is up for argument. I happen to like Finish Line Teflon Dry, it last at least 400 miles but I clean and reapply about every other ride. The same can be said for TriFlow. I also experimented with a product called Speed Skate Lube and it worked very well but didn't care much for the spray. But I do like to experiment, so just 2 days ago I cleaned the chain and then sprayed the Speed Skate Lube on and let it dry for 24 hours, then I put on the Finish Line Teflon Dry; I rode the bike today and it seemed ok, so now I'm going to see how long it will last before I start hearing noises.

By the way, about 2 years ago I had to replace my freewheel and got a Sach. After about 7 months it started to make that typical freewheel clicking sound the pawls make. But I was use to the silence of my old freewheel so this bugged me. I took the Speed Skate Lube and hosed the Freewheel with it...I haven't heard a peep out of it since!!!

Buddha
06-28-2004, 08:46 PM
For 3 seasons of the year, I use Pro Link. Goes on easy and washes off easy.

For the winter I use a product by the Winzer corporation called Poly lube 250. This stuff sprays on and almost turns into a grease. It's grteat for keeping the salty water off.

ericmurphy
06-29-2004, 01:25 AM
I don't particularly like White Lightning, and I don't plan to use it on my Legend's chain. It tends to get black nodules of crud all over your drivetrain and rear wheel.

On the other hand, I got 11,000 miles out of a chain using nothing but White Lightning on it, about every 200 miles or so. I'm not even sure if the chain wore out; I had to replace it when I switched to a wider cassette gear ratio.