PDA

View Full Version : lacing disc wheels?

Dr Luxurious
11-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Trying to figure out the best pulling spoke orientation with discs...

Seems like a front should be laced like a traditional rear with pulling spokes going to the left on the disc side ??

And the disc side of the rear should be laced mirror image of the drive side ??

Ugh, my head hurts.

ergott
11-21-2015, 01:50 PM
It doesn't really matter. Do what feels right to you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ryker
11-21-2015, 03:29 PM
Agree with Ergott. That said I follow mfg. instructions just for the sake of heading off drama in case of an unlikely warranty issue.

oldpotatoe
11-21-2015, 04:56 PM
Trying to figure out the best pulling spoke orientation with discs...

Seems like a front should be laced like a traditional rear with pulling spokes going to the left on the disc side ??

And the disc side of the rear should be laced mirror image of the drive side ??

Ugh, my head hurts.

I'd do both outside pulling or also called 'head in'..but it really makes little difference.
'Some' will say outside pulling makes the base of the 'triangle', hub to rim to hub, wider on these hubs where the flanges are closer together(for the rotor), but makes little difference.

DRZRM
11-21-2015, 05:32 PM
If Ergott and OP both say it does not matter, I'm sure you can take it to the bank. If you accept the argument that the wider spoke (head in) should be pulling, that you don't mirror the rear wheel. On the drive side that spoke is running "backward" from the hub, so the cassette is "pulling" the rim with head in spokes, and the brake side hub in spoke is running "forward" from the hub so the brake is pulling the rim. I'm sure it makes no difference, but that's how I lace my wheels unless the hub is being reused, then I just follow the way they were before.

ryker
11-21-2015, 05:41 PM
unless the hub is being reused, then I just follow the way they were before.

Always. Just helped a guy put new rims on King hubs... found out the hubs had been built three different ways already. Guy is a bike mechanic lol (but he doesn't build his own wheels).

Dr Luxurious
11-21-2015, 09:43 PM
new XT hubs with almost-NOS Mavic Reflex circa 1997.

I think I have it figured out.

FWIW I've always done drive side pushing spokes head-in. That way if there's an overshift the chain will ride up instead of immediately jamming down behind the innermost cog and making the bike a fixie and/or ripping off the rear deregulator.