PDA

View Full Version : Alright, help me save my Brooks Swift

scottcw2
05-25-2006, 02:56 PM
As you may have followed, I tried adjusting the tension on my Brooks Swift and ended up removing all tension because I was turning the Allen (not spanner) adjustment clockwise. Now I have to get it back to at least the original tension plus 1/4-1/2 turn further to get where I wanted to be.

I called Wallingford Bikes and Diane told me that estimating saddle tension is a guess. Can anyone help me with some guidelines, tricks, tips, whatever to get a completely untensioned Swift back to the correct tension?

I hope to ride tomorrow, so quick help is much appreciated.

Ray
05-25-2006, 03:41 PM
It's a guess. Diane would know. Just tighten until it feels right. Do a few little shakedown rides around your neighborhood as you adjust it and be prepared to stop once or twice on the ride tomorrow to adjust as it feels too loose (la Trek?) or too tight.

You could try to go by sight, but you'll never get closer than within a couple of turns. And that's not really close enough if you were getting ready to tension it. So you're just gonna have to go by feel. You'll never get it exactly where it was, but you might just get it right, which is more important anyway.

Good luck,

-Ray

christian
05-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Order a Swift from Nashbar. Tension yours until they match, as tested by the tone produced by a knuckle-rapping. Return Swift to Nashbar.

Do NOT do this to Bill and Diane!

Louis
05-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Order a Swift from Nashbar. Tension yours until they match, as tested by the tone produced by a knuckle-rapping. Return Swift to Nashbar.

How un-Christian of you ! I hope that you're joking.

I have never ridden a Brooks over any reasonable distance, but I would think that someone ought to be able to dial in the correct tension after a few short rides. Take the tool with you, ride a mile a two, tweak as required. If you can't tell the difference then it probably doesn't matter.

Louis

Ray
05-25-2006, 04:33 PM

Do NOT do this to Bill and Diane!
But how to tell if they 'match'? You're still going by feel, so why not skip the Nashbar part and just adjust to feel? As Louis said, if you can't tell the difference, it probably doesn't matter.

-Ray

scottcw2
05-25-2006, 04:50 PM
This is why I am thinking of scrapping it and switching to a Fizik Aliante.

What does "feels right" mean? the point where I can't feel any more tension? I got on it last night with it completely loose, then started tightening. Yeah, I can feel as the tension increases, but there was no point where I went "that's it!"

It's all too vague and voodoo-ish. I just want to set and forget, not always be wondering if I got it right.

Ray
05-25-2006, 05:08 PM
This is why I am thinking of scrapping it and switching to a Fizik Aliante.

What does "feels right" mean? the point where I can't feel any more tension? I got on it last night with it completely loose, then started tightening. Yeah, I can feel as the tension increases, but there was no point where I went "that's it!"

It's all too vague and voodoo-ish. I just want to set and forget, not always be wondering if I got it right.
Don't worry about setting it 'right' - just set it where it feels good. That's probably not all that minute a range either. If you don't get it just exactly "right", you'll still enjoy the saddle but maybe you won't get 30 years of service from it. Will you with the Aliante? Just set it to where it feels OK and don't worry about it.

Assuming you like it in the first place. If you don't, try an Aliante. I personally can't stand the Swift and I love the Aliante. I like other Brooks', but not that one.

-Ray

scottcw2
05-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Have you tried the Arione? if so, how does it compare to the Aliante?

Ray
05-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Have you tried the Arione? if so, how does it compare to the Aliante?
I tried the Arione and didn't like it. The Aliante is round side to side and swept up in back - the Arione is flat side to side and front to back. And harder and longer (we're still talking saddles here :D ). But a$$es are like opinions - everyone has one and each is different. Lots of folks love the Arione - only way to know is to try it. If you like the Swift, we're already starting from different places so don't go by anything I say.

If you do like the Swift, tighten to taste and ride it into the ground. If not, well that'd be a different question than how to save it, no?

Good luck,

-Ray

scottcw2
05-25-2006, 05:41 PM
IIf you like the Swift, we're already starting from different places so don't go by anything I say.

If you do like the Swift, tighten to taste and ride it into the ground. If not, well that'd be a different question than how to save it, no?

Good luck,

-Ray

That is the question. I like the Swift, but the only thing I have to compare it to is a B17. Maybe I like it because my butt does not know any better.

Ginger
05-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Well...

That's the problem with any saddle...isn't it?

(Until you try all of them)