PDA

View Full Version : More deaths by car ...

TMB
11-20-2015, 06:20 PM
Sadly I knew one of the fellows in the golf cart. Local resident to me here. Retired fellow at his vacation home.

Now dead.

Story is the woman came around a corner at speed and ran into them

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/traffic/2015/11/18/thousand-palms-car-golf-cart-crash-may-have-been-fatal/76022534/

Very sad.

ultraman6970
11-20-2015, 08:48 PM
Mercedes.. SUB... no name released... sucks! Guy was poor as I am probably would have been all over the news already.

mg2ride
11-20-2015, 09:01 PM
Close to 100 people a day die from car accidents in the USA.

Should we start a thread for each of them?

zmudshark
11-20-2015, 09:07 PM

Only if you know one of them. :butt:

Good news is, since they weren't on a bike, the driver may be charged with vehicular manslaughter.

Dead Man
11-20-2015, 09:22 PM
I was cruising along a narrow, winding road up in the tualatins this morning... Running late, very stressed out.. Not exactly speeding- probably doing up to 5mph over whatever posted was, which would have been like 25 or 30.. And being a cyclist and always subconsciously watching for cyclists.. But i came around a long curve and almost plowed straight into a lady pushing a baby stroller.

Walking right smack in the middle of the lane, though... Wtc, lady?

But whTever... Would have been my fault. Glad i came to and hit the brakes when i did

Just sayin'... Could happen to anyone, any of us.. All it takes is 1-3 seconds of inattention, even just being distracted with your own thoughts

mg2ride
11-20-2015, 09:27 PM
Only if you know one of them. :butt:

Good news is, since they weren't on a bike, the driver may be charged with vehicular manslaughter.

Got it.

I got an email today at work about a guy I met once that died in a car accident.

I will see if I can find a link to the article.

bigbill
11-20-2015, 09:39 PM
Got it.

I got an email today at work about a guy I met once that died in a car accident.

Please don't do that. I'm sure you have better things to do.

soulspinner
11-21-2015, 04:58 AM
Please don't do that. I'm sure you have better things to do.

+1 Don't open threads just to trash the OP please. Pick another forum to do that.

AJM100
11-21-2015, 07:58 AM
can we talk about the dogs . . . :mad

Black Dog
11-21-2015, 08:07 AM
Got it.

Why make this your contribution? Just resist the temptation to behave like a troll, you must be better than this. Take the time to put out a reasoned response if you feel strongly about what is being said here. Flinging turds at people when you don't like something is beneath you. Be the better person.

kevinvc
11-21-2015, 10:34 AM
I was cruising along a narrow, winding road up in the tualatins this morning... Running late, very stressed out.. Not exactly speeding- probably doing up to 5mph over whatever posted was, which would have been like 25 or 30.. And being a cyclist and always subconsciously watching for cyclists.. But i came around a long curve and almost plowed straight into a lady pushing a baby stroller.

Walking right smack in the middle of the lane, though... Wtc, lady?

But whTever... Would have been my fault. Glad i came to and hit the brakes when i did

Just sayin'... Could happen to anyone, any of us.. All it takes is 1-3 seconds of inattention, even just being distracted with your own thoughts

I think this is exactly why drivers are so rarely punished in any meaningful way when they kill a cyclist. The judge and jury, heck, probably even the DA and prosecutor, have the internal bias of being able to relate to the driver more than to the cyclist. Please don't take this as an attack, because I completely agree with your point and have been there myself.

In a country where almost everyone drives, every person involved in the investigation and the trial can probably put themselves in the shoes of the person behind the wheel. This isn't necessarily the case for cases where the defendant kills someone by other means.

malcolm
11-21-2015, 10:49 AM

No need to be callous. The thread is clearly labeled don't open it.

professerr
11-21-2015, 11:26 AM
I think this is exactly why drivers are so rarely punished in any meaningful way when they kill a cyclist. The judge and jury, heck, probably even the DA and prosecutor, have the internal bias of being able to relate to the driver more than to the cyclist. Please don't take this as an attack, because I completely agree with your point and have been there myself.

In a country where almost everyone drives, every person involved in the investigation and the trial can probably put themselves in the shoes of the person behind the wheel. This isn't necessarily the case for cases where the defendant kills someone by other means.

Yup, I think this is quite true. I can't wait for automated cars, or at least cars that automatically keep drivers from hitting eachother, cyclists and pedestrians. We'll look back at pre-automated times with astonishment.

p nut
11-21-2015, 11:26 AM

I've got one of those "Share the Road" special license plate, which I contemplated not getting because just of that. Don't want to be the idiot that gets involved in an accident with a cyclist.

TMB - Sorry about the loss. Hope the driver gets what she deserves.

rugbysecondrow
11-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Yup, I think this is quite true. I can't wait for automated cars, or at least cars that automatically keep drivers from hitting eachother, cyclists and pedestrians. We'll look back at pre-automated times with astonishment.

The smarter, more capable we make the car, the dumber we make the driver.

A whole new line of defense" it wasn't me, it was Google who killed the cyclist".

The issue is that people drive so much now. They commute hours to and from work, all windshield time they never had before. It is impossible to be an attentive driver for that entire duration. People who operate on the road do so with the knowledge that it is risky and we assume that risk (everybody).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coalfield
11-22-2015, 11:21 AM
32 year old driver, under the influence of alcohol, with a suspended license driving over 50 in a 25 mph zone.

djg21
11-22-2015, 11:52 AM

This opens another can of worms. What happens when an automated vehicle has to make a choice of say, (1) running head-on into an oncoming vehicle and having the inhabitants of both vehicles killed or seriously injured, or (2) avoiding the oncoming vehicle by running into a single pedestrian or cyclist? What about the ethical implications: who makes these decisions, or more appropriately, who writes the software that ultimately makes these decisions?

Black Dog
11-22-2015, 04:28 PM
32 year old driver, under the influence of alcohol, with a suspended license driving over 50 in a 25 mph zone.

I think folks like this should be considered dangerous offenders and not let out until their alcoholism (assuming that they are alcoholic) is under control or some other means of keeping them out of a car is devised. It always stuns me when you hear about a person with multiple DUI convictions getting behind the wheel and doing this kind of harm.

soulspinner
11-22-2015, 06:10 PM
I think folks like this should be considered dangerous offenders and not let out until their alcoholism (assuming that they are alcoholic) is under control or some other means of keeping them out of a car is devised. It always stuns me when you hear about a person with multiple DUI convictions getting behind the wheel and doing this kind of harm.

+1...seen too many 4rth 5th and 6th time offenders that hurt someone drunk driving....

Dead Man
11-22-2015, 11:46 PM
I've got one of those "Share the Road" special license plate, which I contemplated not getting because just of that. Don't want to be the idiot that gets involved in an accident with a cyclist.

One of my first ever really close calls with a car was a lady that jumped out into an intersection right smack in front of me - all I could do was emergency brake, and pure luck stopped me about 2-3" from her bumper......... and the "I SHARE THE ROAD!" sticker on it.