PDA

View Full Version : Ot:Ken Lay,Jeff Skilling

gasman
05-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Am I the only one that is glad the government won their case against these guys ? They were convicted and will now serve time, not hard time but it won't be freedom.

So many people lost their pensions and savings because of their greed that I feel like whatever Lay and Skilling get won't make up for the pain they caused.

JohnS
05-25-2006, 01:26 PM
They'll get less time than some poor schmuck who robbed a 7-11 of $50 to feed his family. There is no justice... :crap:

spiderlake
05-25-2006, 01:29 PM
If you get a chance, check out the documentary, "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room". It really did a great job, imho, of laying out the rise and fall of Enron. I think Skilling and Lay were up to their necks, along with the energy traders, in this whole mess.

Am I the only one that is glad the government won their case against these guys ? They were convicted and will now serve time, not hard time but it won't be freedom.

So many people lost their pensions and savings because of their greed that I feel like whatever Lay and Skilling get won't make up for the pain they caused.

Kevan
05-25-2006, 01:34 PM
They'll get less time than some poor schmuck who robbed a 7-11 of $50 to feed his family. There is no justice... :crap:

These guys are going to be cozy for some time to come. Corporate good behavior is being taught here. Nothing worse than being used as an example.

Ozz
05-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know how long they can drag this out with appeals?

I hope their time served is long and hard....pun not intended, but it is there if you want it.

Bill Bove
05-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Is there anyway that there can be restitution? I'm sure that Skilling and Lay are are better at hiding their ill gotten gains than they were about covering their tracks but it would be nice if those that they farked could get something back.

67-59
05-25-2006, 02:22 PM
but, at least according to an attorney quoted in the Wall Street Journal story, it seems quite unlikely that they'll get their convictions overturned:

"Your typical white-collar defendant has a better chance of winning a Golden Globe award than getting his conviction reversed in the Fifth Circuit," says one lawyer.

Kevan
05-25-2006, 02:31 PM
and those guys will be doing the same to the bars that hold them, during the same time.

Serotta PETE
05-25-2006, 02:37 PM
accountablility is great.

No matter what the sentance it is too little for the lives they ruined thru their own greed.

It is the lawyers turn to get even richer now. I am no lawyer but I would think this sets a basis for civil suits also.

Rest assured they will never give up the mansion and "good life". I just hope it sets notice that there might :no: be a chance of accountablility for the greedy bastards who manipulate the accounting rules for more $$s than they can ever spend in a life time.

Bill Bove
05-25-2006, 03:02 PM
I just Kenny Boy invoking God. God will look out for his Christian family. Yeah, what about while you were plundering those poor bastards retirements? Where was your respect for God then?

Needs Help
05-25-2006, 03:19 PM
nmnmnm

cydewaze
05-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Does anyone know how long they can drag this out with appeals?
I don't know, but Bush could always pardon them :p

coylifut
05-25-2006, 03:47 PM
the former CEO of Tyco is walking around right now while his case is being appealed. It could go another 2 years.

Serotta PETE
05-25-2006, 04:04 PM
The accountants were dismayed at all the financial shennanigans taking place, but the accounting firms have consultants that work in other divisions, and the consultants earn the big fees for the accounting firms. Fastow twisted that to his advantage, and he would threaten to fire the consultants and terminate the fat fees Enron was paying them, unless they could twist the arms of their accountants and get them to OK the books. Arthur Anderson went along with Fastow and OK'ed whatever he wanted, which eventually led to that accounting firm's demise.

Fastow was essentially an incompetent financial analyst who knew that Skilling and Lay and other employees were making millions of dollars, and he also wanted to make millions, so he turned to fraud. Skilling and Lay didn't care as long as it was improving Enron's balance sheet.

There is no doubt that Fastow was in the thick of things BUT to blame the entire affair on him alone is a stretch for me. I do not beleive that SKILLING and LAY were not part of it....They were the "captain" of the company. In my view they are guilty legally and morally. (That is only my personal opinion BUT they had no problem taking those huge salaries, options, bounuses, etc)

Ignorance is not an excuse for having zero integrity!!!!

Just an opinion that seems to be in the minority as it relates to the business world of today.

Needs Help
05-25-2006, 04:14 PM
BUT to blame the entire affair on him alone is a stretch for me.
I never said that nor did I think I implied that. In fact, I think Skilling and Lay should be elgible for capital punishment, along with members of the current President's administration who were in Enron's pocket, for all the lives they ruined. I just feel that Fastow and his wife got off easy. Fastow created most of the fraud that Skilling and Lay OK'ed.

BumpyintheBurgh
05-25-2006, 04:19 PM
To paraphrase Gordon Gekko, "Greed is Good, Only If You Don't Get Caught"

Serotta PETE
05-25-2006, 06:35 PM
I never said that nor did I think I implied that. In fact, I think Skilling and Lay should be elgible for capital punishment, along with members of the current President's administration who were in Enron's pocket, for all the lives they ruined. I just feel that Fastow and his wife got off easy. Fastow created most of the fraud that Skilling and Lay OK'ed.

We agree....lets have a glass of wine together. Sorry for my mis-reading.

PETE