PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Option: Old and Not Sleek

jmeloy
11-20-2015, 08:59 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a couple of upscale short sleeve jerseys for next season and fit can be a struggle. As noted above, I'm experiencing that midlife body shift and won't be "racer/form fit" again in this lifetime (if I ever was). A Rapha XL is a shade too tight. An Assos XL is as well. XXL's can be a crapshoot as the length then gets out of hand (I'm 6', 190). Just bought 2 winter TORM's in XL and they fit great. Bought an XL short sleeve TORM from one of our buds and too snug in the waist. Do not like the Hormel sausage look at this stag of life but no flappin' either.

Got some recommendations for me?
Thanks!

parris
11-20-2015, 09:05 AM
I've been quite happy with the Trek Solstice jersey. They are inexpensive, durable, fit true to size, and just work.

FlashUNC
11-20-2015, 09:25 AM
Woolistic might be an option. And you get that retro street cred to boot.

ltwtsculler91
11-20-2015, 09:33 AM
Try an Assos Cento (or older Mille jersey) with the looser cut (or try sizing up)?
We have a larger gentleman who rides with us and thinks his is fantastic

Avincent52
11-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a couple of upscale short sleeve jerseys for next season and fit can be a struggle. As noted above, I'm experiencing that midlife body shift and won't be "racer/form fit" again in this lifetime (if I ever was). A Rapha XL is a shade too tight. An Assos XL is as well. XXL's can be a crapshoot as the length then gets out of hand (I'm 6', 190). Just bought 2 winter TORM's in XL and they fit great. Bought an XL short sleeve TORM from one of our buds and too snug in the waist. Do not like the Hormel sausage look at this stag of life but no flappin' either.

Thanks!

Interesting, we're about the same size, and if anything you're a few pounds lighter and an inch or so taller. (Although I lost a bunch of weight this year and I gather you put on at least some.)
FWIW, I'll note that Rapha Classic XL fits me great, but the Club jerseys in XL are a little too tight. Road Holland XL fits fine. I've got a DeMarchi Monte Grappa that I really like, but it's definitely a 'race fit.'

One thing I found strange--I'm about 5'10" and the straps on a pair of Search and State bibs are actually tight/short, although they're supposedly made for riders up to 6'1" Same with a pair of Rapha Lightweight bibs (although the Team Sky Training Bibs fit perfectly as do the Assos.)
I also hope/expect I'll be a few pounds lighter next season.

I do find cycling kit sizing more than a little weird. In the real world, I wear a size 34 Lucky Brand Vintage Slim jeans and I'm now a medium in a GAP t-shirt (or most any other brand.) Even when I was heavier, I wore a large comfortably.

I bought a Pearl Izumi BMC jersey from Pro Closet in XL, and I literally couldn't get my arms in the sleeves or come within six inches of zipping it.

I asked my son, who's a collegiate lightweight rower--5'9" and 145 pounds--and the jersey barely fit *him.* Go figure.

jmeloy
11-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Good help for me with those comments!

Avincent52
11-20-2015, 11:35 AM
A lot of it is the style and the cut as well as the actual sizing.
Say what you will about the brand, but the wool-blend Rapha jerseys feel much more 'grown up' than a lot of the skin tight Lycra jerseys with team or brand logos all over the place.
My Rapha jerseys come in colors--black, fig, even pink--that I'd actually wear in a shirt.
Heck, I wouldn't feel totally ridiculous wearing a black Rapha jersey over a pair of jeans or cargo shorts and going to the supermarket or something.

One thing that did surprise me is how much difference there was between the cut of Rapha's club jersey and the classic. Something to be said, I guess, for finding what fits and sticking with it.

commonguy001
11-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Maybe give Road Holland a shot if you like classic style stuff.
Their sizes run a bit larger than Rapha in the same size although I'm not sure if they get really long in the larger sizes.

Davist
11-20-2015, 01:13 PM
I'm 5'11" 185lb and 40" chest or so, agree with comments about sizing being weird, I found some Castelli "entrata" jerseys (pretty sure that's Italian for the cheap ones) in L that my LBS had on sale and have been very pleased with them. Solid colors, minimal superhero graphics and fit great.

jmeloy
11-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Man, I've wanted to like Castelli and Capo but just find them too small.

jmeloy
11-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Maybe give Road Holland a shot if you like classic style stuff.

Their sizes run a bit larger than Rapha in the same size although I'm not sure if they get really long in the larger sizes.

Like the looks of the RH stuff. Bought a LS a couple years back in large and I do think an XL would fit well.

rwsaunders
11-20-2015, 07:52 PM
I think that the Rapha Brevet jerseys run a bit looser than the Classic jerseys. A full zip also seems to have more room that the 1/4 zip version. Ymmv of course.

Avincent52
11-20-2015, 07:57 PM
Like the looks of the RH stuff. Bought a LS a couple years back in large and I do think an XL would fit well.

FWIW, I've got one Road Holland Jersey, the Hilversum, in XL and it fits just like a Rapha Classic. From what I gather the Hilversum is on the small side of Road Holland and the Classic is amonth the roomier Raphas.

Seems weird that sizes vary this much within a line.

Coalfield
11-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Portland Cycle Wear = 100% wool. Soft fit, will not shrink if cared for per instructions. Replace every couple of years. Makes great winter sleepwear in its' retirement. On my 3rd. Have no affiliation with the company.

http://www.oregoncyclewear.com/catalog/item/8667564/9614679.htm

OOOpps = now Oregon Cycle Wear - bigger market.

edit: Kelly Green, large or small size, clearance @$59.

oldpotatoe
11-21-2015, 07:24 AM

Thanks!

http://www.prendas.co.uk/

http://www.foska.com/cycling-jerseys/road

I have XXL from both and they fit my 6', .1 offa ton, doughboy/muffin top bod.

jmeloy
11-29-2015, 08:50 AM
Interesting, we're about the same size, and if anything you're a few pounds lighter and an inch or so taller. (Although I lost a bunch of weight this year and I gather you put on at least some.)
FWIW, I'll note that Rapha Classic XL fits me great, but the Club jerseys in XL are a little too tight. Road Holland XL fits fine. I've got a DeMarchi Monte Grappa that I really like, but it's definitely a 'race fit.'

One thing I found strange--I'm about 5'10" and the straps on a pair of Search and State bibs are actually tight/short, although they're supposedly made for riders up to 6'1" Same with a pair of Rapha Lightweight bibs (although the Team Sky Training Bibs fit perfectly as do the Assos.)
I also hope/expect I'll be a few pounds lighter next season.

I do find cycling kit sizing more than a little weird. In the real world, I wear a size 34 Lucky Brand Vintage Slim jeans and I'm now a medium in a GAP t-shirt (or most any other brand.) Even when I was heavier, I wore a large comfortably.

I bought a Pearl Izumi BMC jersey from Pro Closet in XL, and I literally couldn't get my arms in the sleeves or come within six inches of zipping it.

I asked my son, who's a collegiate lightweight rower--5'9" and 145 pounds--and the jersey barely fit *him.* Go figure.

Bought a gray Classic using the 15% off coupon and in route. Then they did the 30% off Black Friday sale so I. Wrote them and they sent me a coupon for $25 off. Used that for a second Classic which netted at $87. Also grabbed a Road Holland for summer on sale. Needed to retire some of my older ones.
Thanks all!

choke
11-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Eleven Velo. Custom sizing is an option and the prices are amazing given the current exchange rate.

elevenvelo
11-29-2015, 05:41 PM
Eleven Velo. Custom sizing is an option and the prices are amazing given the current exchange rate.

We can definitely help there. We successfully fit riders with some pretty odd dimensions at times but the height thing is the easiest to sort out.

Cheers!

Avincent52
11-29-2015, 09:26 PM
Bought a gray Classic using the 15% off coupon and in route. Then they did the 30% off Black Friday sale so I. Wrote them and they sent me a coupon for $25 off. Used that for a second Classic which netted at $87. Also grabbed a Road Holland for summer on sale. Needed to retire some of my older ones.
Thanks all!

Rapha's good that way. I bought a variety of stuff during the summer sale that was discounted further and they sent me a voucher for the balance which I applied to an already discounted Pink Classic which ended up costing me $55 or thereabouts.

jmoore
11-30-2015, 11:55 AM
We can definitely help there. We successfully fit riders with some pretty odd dimensions at times but the height thing is the easiest to sort out.

Cheers!

I'll vouch for elevenvelo and their service and quality. A+ across the board.

Order with confidence.

J. Anquetil
11-30-2015, 12:07 PM
The only Rapha product I like is their Lightweight jersey, and being about your same weight and height, the XXL fits just fine. The Road Holland in XXL is about the same as the Rapha, and for me a better product.