PDA

View Full Version : NY/NJ folks: Henry Hudson Dr and trails

vav
11-20-2015, 07:53 AM
Hi guys; I am going down to my folks for Thanksgiving and the weather looks awesome for the whole weekend. I have ridden the Henry Hudson Dr up to 9W before but want to get some feedback on the "gravel" paths right next to the river at the end of the Henry Hudson Dr. Good idea to ride them? From the look of Google maps it seems like another 10 miles of great dirt riding. Thoughts?
TIA
Vincent

ps. Thinking of riding around all 3 days (all early AM rides) Thursday, Friday and Saturday so Angry and other forumites, I'd love to get together for a ride if you guys are up for it.

AngryScientist
11-20-2015, 07:54 AM
Where are you staying at V?

I think I can make a ride happen one of those days for sure.

vav
11-20-2015, 07:55 AM
Nick, one/two? towns down from you. My folks live in Harrison really close to HWY 21.

fiamme red
11-20-2015, 08:05 AM
Those are hiking trails, I believe.

http://www.nynjtc.org/park/palisades-interstate-park-nj

Cycling is permitted on Henry Hudson Drive [parts of drive may close in winter-check with park] from River Road in Edgewater up to and including Alpine Approach Road. Bicycles are not permitted on any hiking trails, walking paths, or cross-country ski trails.I may be interested in joining you for a ride one of those days.

AngryScientist
11-20-2015, 08:07 AM
yea, i dont think those trails are generally rideable on a gravel typed bike, though i've never tried.

vav
11-20-2015, 08:11 AM
^^ should we try? :D

fiamme red
11-20-2015, 08:21 AM
Looking at a map, I'd guess that you might be able to do this legally: on 9W at north end of Henry Hudson Dr, right on Forest View Trail (over PIP), first left, State Line Lookout, Ludlow Ln through Columbia University campus, Oak Tree Rd, back on 9W, then through Tallman Mountain State Park to Piermont.

There's also a nice rail trail that runs from Oak Tree Rd (west of 9W) all the way to Nyack. It's paved at first, then becomes dirt.

lhuerta
11-20-2015, 08:42 AM
The gravel trail through Tallman Park is ridable, legal, and a blast. About a 2 mile stretch. The gravel begins just north (about 200 feet) of The Filling Station (3/4 mile after dropping down hill from stateline), make a right at the small parking area and the gravel begins. You can ride this trail all the way to Piermont. The gravel is rideable on my "gravel bike" (Cervelo R5 with Vitt Paves....in my book there is no such thing as a gravel bike). I have not found any gravel trails south of there (between stateliness and GWB) that are ridable on a bike (or legal).

ANAO
11-20-2015, 09:57 AM
I'm organizing a small ride (10 riders or so, tops) on Thanksgiving day, if you'd like to join. 100k from GWB and back, so you can park the car there.

Depart 8:30, back by 1. Roughly 25k pace.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11176888

sandyrs
11-20-2015, 10:19 AM
A dude I know has posted strava rides on his CX bike taking the "Long Path" (just west of Henry Hudson Drive, adjacent to the Palisades Interstate) north to Piermont. He is a pro road and elite CX racer and the 68 mile ride took him almost 8 hours, so it is definitely not easy riding.

fiamme red
11-20-2015, 10:24 AM
A dude I know has posted strava rides on his CX bike taking the "Long Path" (just west of Henry Hudson Drive, adjacent to the Palisades Interstate) north to Piermont. He is a pro road and elite CX racer and the 68 mile ride took him almost 8 hours, so it is definitely not easy riding.Cycling on the Long Path is illegal. It's a hiking path.

verticaldoug
11-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Cycling on the Long Path is illegal. It's a hiking path.

It's like speeding. It's only illegal if they catch you.

TomNY
11-20-2015, 01:36 PM
It's like speeding. It's only illegal if they catch you.

I used to ride that [20 years ago] on MTB early mornings in winter, got caught by PIP cop. Ran that trail for marathon training, too. Not worth getting caught though IMHO.

9W North Sparkill - Piermont - Nyack have "Local laws" that bar riding two abreast and police enforce the law w tickets.

Nyack to Upper Nyack on North Broadway ends at State Park w gravel road that runs along the river to Haverstraw. First half has foot traffic, second half is usually empty. Have a great safe ride.