PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tethering to smart phone for home internet?

oliver1850
11-19-2015, 11:17 AM
I seem to have reached the end of my rope with current internet provider (Verizon). I've been forced to upgrade computers by MS dropping support of XP, then the Vista computer was ruined by a power outage. Usage has gone way up with the current hardware. I currently have an 8.1 desktop with Verizon's Jetpack wireless hotspot device. In the first week with this combination, I've already used over half of my monthly service. Overage will put me way over budget, so I'm shutting my service off today. I don't have any other internet access currently.

Last time I was in the At&T store, I was told they have a smart phone plan that allows tethering, and provides more data/$ than my Verizon plan (5G for around $60/month). Anyone doing this? Does the phone get security updates? Can I go back to using an XP computer? Any other OS options that will reduce data usage?

vqdriver
11-19-2015, 11:24 AM
no other option for at-home internet? there's always cable if you don't want dsl. at $60/mo you're already at typical rates for home service anyway and have no data limits.

i don't get why ms stopping xp support limits your use of an existing xp machine. just means they stopped making updates and patches for it. should work just fine as it stands tho there's the risk of security holes not getting patched.

re the original question, many smartphones already have hotspot functionality built in.

kppolich
11-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Yep, been using my Unlimited Data through Verizon for 3 years with no Internet Provider for all internet/streaming/downloading at home. Jailbroken iPhone running MiWi or some other free tethering app+ Unlimited data has saved me a ton of money. Of course I am the only one using it so the internet source travels with me. Super fast LTE that never lags and I have yet to receive any complaints from Verizon or get throttled. Current data usage: 500GB/month for a macbook air, apple tv, and iPhone.

echappist
11-19-2015, 11:27 AM
only caveat is that the service, known as hotspot, will literally turn your phone hot to the touch if you aren't careful. I think i fried my iphone 5c by using tethering. They may have worked out the cooling issue on other models.

sitzmark
11-19-2015, 11:33 AM
I tether sometimes when traveling and access charges by hotel or other are ridiculous. Works well, but depending on your data use at home it may or may not meet your needs as your only access to the Internet.

I'm still grandfathered on VZW's unlimited plan, so I can add unlimited tethering for $30/mo more than the standard $30 unlimited. Nets out at $60 for the month when I turn it on. So if a hotel is charging $10-$15/day for access I fire up tethering.

thegunner
11-19-2015, 11:37 AM
i tether on my nexus 6 whenever time warner is crappy (which is all the time).

I think i put 110 gb through my phone last month?

ultraman6970
11-19-2015, 11:39 AM
Hmmm I think mark is in a farm in the middle of nowhere... what about the neighbor wireless???

If you have satellite tv you should be able to hook up internet to that, not super fast but could work.

Data usage is data usage, independently of the OS.

The issue with many phones data plans is what they call reasonable usage... in the case of mark doubt will be a problem to use the phone as a hotspot.

Between you and me comm. companies sucks.

oliver1850
11-19-2015, 12:48 PM
My usage went up drastically when I switched to the Vista computer and the 8.1 is even worse. I assume it's due to more automatic updates, possibly for things I don't use. Happy to go back to XP if it's secure. Microsoft has quit Security Essentials updates for XP. As often as it was updated when I used XP, seemed like it was risky to continue to run it sans updates.

No DSL here or land line for that matter according to Frontier, who bought up Verizon's lines. The line still exists in front of my house but they refuse to give me service even though neighbors on each side of me have it. Two neighbors have had satellite and were very disappointed in it. Obviously no cable out here either.

There aren't any unlimited cell phone data plans available that will work in my area as far as I know. I tried a Sprint phone here but function was hit or miss. Had to wait minutes sometimes for a page to load, and sometimes couldn't get anything at all. AT&T and Verizon have good signals but phone plans have limited data. I think AT&T was around $80 for 20G.

oliver1850
11-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Yep, been using my Unlimited Data through Verizon for 3 years with no Internet Provider for all internet/streaming/downloading at home. Jailbroken iPhone running MiWi or some other free tethering app+ Unlimited data has saved me a ton of money. Of course I am the only one using it so the internet source travels with me. Super fast LTE that never lags and I have yet to receive any complaints from Verizon or get throttled. Current data usage: 500GB/month for a macbook air, apple tv, and iPhone.

Can you add a line and be my ISP?

93legendti
11-19-2015, 03:08 PM
only caveat is that the service, known as hotspot, will literally turn your phone hot to the touch if you aren't careful. I think i fried my iphone 5c by using tethering. They may have worked out the cooling issue on other models.

And your battery life will suffer, which means you should leave the phone charging while you tether, which isn't good for the phone...

Maybe a used tablet could be the hotspot...

redir
11-19-2015, 03:28 PM
I imagine a fan would be a good solution to the heating problem.

I lost my unlimited data with Verizon last year when my phone got so bogged down and slow I simply had to upgrade it. Oh well.

ajhapps
11-19-2015, 04:00 PM
Sounds like you might not be in a T-mobile service area, but I do their unlimited plan and get something like 14GB of tethered data per month (in addition to unlimited data/talk/text on my phone). You also get free international roaming, if that's in your future.

rnhood
11-19-2015, 04:09 PM
I use my phone as a hot spot during the winter months when in Florida. It works great (AT&T data plan). Its better to use the phone as a WiFi hot spot and not tethering hot spot. Its faster. Also, its best to leave the phone plugged into its charger since it will drain the battery, although not as fast as one might think.

mtb_frk
11-19-2015, 05:27 PM
I live in the middle no where from a services provided perspective as well. A line of site wifi tower was put in a few miles away that was supposed cover the entire area. Well due to trees and elevation apparently it is a no go. I have been using a Verizon hotspot for the last 4 years. 5GB/month, and it really does suck. Luckily I have unlimited data on my phone but if I was to add tethering it would change my contract which would end the unlimited data. Speed wise using the hotspot is ok, but 5GB is isn't very much. I was just on Verizon's page the other day and it looks like they have more data only plans now. I think I am going to check that out. It would be nice to be able update and download stuff without having to lug my stuff to somewhere there is free wifi.

osu cycling
11-19-2015, 05:42 PM
I did this for a number of years actually... first with a dedicated PCI Express cell card from Cingular, then with an iPhone using tethering (AT&T). This was back when data was unlimited for both options... advantage with the PCI express was that you could actually have a whole home network's internet connection routed through a single PC using the card and Windows built-in internet connection sharing software. The iPhone worked great until AT&T got bent out of shape about tethering and threatened to charge me for the service on top of my unlimited data. Now tethering isn't even an option if you've been grandfathered in with unlimited data.

However, if you're willing to pay using their tiered smartphone data accounts (5GB, 10GB, etc.) then AT&T will be more than willing to let you tether. Speeds are fine, but if you do any streaming video like Netflix or Hulu, you'll run into the data limit fast. Should be able to use this regardless of the OS you're running.

sitzmark
11-19-2015, 06:26 PM
If you have VZW as your cellular phone carrier, adding or removing a feature (using the manage my features option - MyVerizon) does not change the terms of your base contract.

Under manage features, expand Data Hotspot Packages. You'll see 4G Mobile Hotspot, then select "Add This Feature". Your plan will then allow your phone to be used as a "modem" via USB, or as a WiFi hot spot. You must have an unlimited data plan of $29.95/mo or more. (If you don't have an unlimited plan you won't see an unlimited hot spot option.) When you add the feature, it starts the billing process ($30/mo) and may take a few minutes to go live. You then need to go to cellular settings on your phone and set up personal hotspot. When you want to stop $30/mo billing go back to MyVerizon and "remove this feature".

I live in the middle no where from a services provided perspective as well. A line of site wifi tower was put in a few miles away that was supposed cover the entire area. Well due to trees and elevation apparently it is a no go. I have been using a Verizon hotspot for the last 4 years. 5GB/month, and it really does suck. Luckily I have unlimited data on my phone but if I was to add tethering it would change my contract which would end the unlimited data. Speed wise using the hotspot is ok, but 5GB is isn't very much. I was just on Verizon's page the other day and it looks like they have more data only plans now. I think I am going to check that out. It would be nice to be able update and download stuff without having to lug my stuff to somewhere there is free wifi.

gavingould
11-19-2015, 09:36 PM
my in-laws over in Iowa live a little way off the beaten path, satellite is the only "high speed" ISP. it's slow and definitely not unlimited data. when the whole family is there, the daily bandwidth cap gets eaten up pretty quickly. cellular coverage is pretty spotty with all providers, so tethering's out. admittedly i couldn't live there, but it's nice to 'go dark' once in a while.

you can turn off automatic updating in Windows 8.1 - but that would be putting you in a similar security hole as running XP. i believe MS Security Essentials is still updated near-daily with new virus definitions, though updates to the application itself prevent it from running on XP.

XP is 14 years old and unsupported by its maker for 18 months now. it lived a long and full life well past its prime.

aramis
11-20-2015, 12:52 AM
Well I looked it up and I guess google is still supporting chrome on XP until the end of 2015. Go figure. You could always just run XP on a virtual machine if you're that hell bent on using it. I would think if you're concerned about updates eating data that maybe trying out ubuntu might be worth it, but I haven't used that in a few years so I'm not up to date on it.

I do front end development and supporting the old versions of IE is such a pain that a lot of people don't bother (me included). At least use chrome if you're using XP.

oldpotatoe
11-20-2015, 06:42 AM
I seem to have reached the end of my rope with current internet provider (Verizon). I've been forced to upgrade computers by MS dropping support of XP, then the Vista computer was ruined by a power outage. Usage has gone way up with the current hardware. I currently have an 8.1 desktop with Verizon's Jetpack wireless hotspot device. In the first week with this combination, I've already used over half of my monthly service. Overage will put me way over budget, so I'm shutting my service off today. I don't have any other internet access currently.

Last time I was in the At&T store, I was told they have a smart phone plan that allows tethering, and provides more data/$ than my Verizon plan (5G for around $60/month). Anyone doing this? Does the phone get security updates? Can I go back to using an XP computer? Any other OS options that will reduce data usage?

Alright, I am a computer dope and understand precious little about what is being talked about but a cable/internet at your house is not in the cards?

Wouldn't the expense of that offset the HUGE data your are using thru your phone?

oliver1850
11-20-2015, 10:28 AM
Peter, I don't understand the comm companies. There's a line from a DSL provider that goes right into my house but I can't get service. The local cable TV company's line goes right by my mom's house, but they won't connect her. She has a dish and DSL - the cable company could have both accounts if they wanted them. These companies use public right of ways to run their lines, you would think they would have to serve the public. I actually own the dirt that they bury the cable in, but they don't have to offer me service.

I went with the AT&T 15G no contract plan. It's going to cost me about $35 more/month but I have 3X the data. Seems to work fine.

Thanks for all the replies.