PDA

View Full Version : Powertap Problem, No Power *SOLVED*

YesNdeed
11-19-2015, 11:15 AM
I've been running a Powertap G3 hub and a Garmin 510 with very few problems, and none that a battery change or firmware update hasn't handled. The problem is, no power. Something isn't working, and Garmin doesn't detect a power meter.

A while back, the 510 underwent an update, powered off, then wouldn't go back on with a full charge. I reset the device, it then came back on, but since then would not detect the power meter.

I have since:

Updated the firmware in the Powertap. First without a battery, to no avail, then with a battery.
Replaced the 2032 battery
Did a master reset on the 510
Searched for all devices on the Garmin. No dice.

Ideas?

AngryScientist
11-19-2015, 11:38 AM
i'm certainly no expert on this, and my theory might be totally out to lunch, but why did you enable bluetooth? the powertap is an ant+ device right? maybe the garmin is looking for bluetooth device when it needs to be looking for ant+?

like i said, that's a totally uneducated guess.

sitzmark
11-19-2015, 11:43 AM
Bluetooth on Garmin is a link to phone/Connect app, not input devices. Should not affect finding sensors.

When you set up bike profile did you run "search all". Easiest way to determine if problem is hub vs head unit related would be to find a second Garmin (friend's or family member's) and see if it finds your power meter. Rotate wheel prior to or during search.

sparky33
11-19-2015, 12:30 PM
I've been running a Powertap G3 hub ... The problem is, no power.

Pedal harder. :bike:

YesNdeed
11-19-2015, 12:36 PM
You are correct, AngryScientist! I almost added to the Bluetooth entry (Matters only for pairing smartphone, but in the interest of checking off the obvious boxes). I'll take it off.

I did search for all devices through the Garmin. Nada. And I'll add that to my conundrum list of attempts.

Always duly noted, Steve :crap:

sitzmark
11-19-2015, 01:01 PM
From power-on, select setup menu, then bike profiles, and then the profile you are trying to establish pairing. Touch the grayed-out power icon. Is the Enable/Disabled soft switch turned on? If off, the Garmin won't report finding a power meter.
If you touch "Sensor Details", is there a sensor ID number registered? If so, the Garmin has recognized the G3 at some point. The full reset should have reset this too, but worth checking out.

R3awak3n
11-19-2015, 01:43 PM
I just got a powertap g3 yesterday and followed what sitz mark said and it detected it immediately.

You should also maybe check it with a different garmin because it can certainly also be the garmin.

another thing to look for is what bike profile its set to, I have 3 bikes set up on it and 2 don't have power meters or cadence so when profile is set for those bikes its not searching for devices (press power and should say what bike profile its set to, change the profile to the right bike)

YesNdeed
11-19-2015, 02:11 PM
Power sensor wasn't enabled. Doh! Thanks, that solved it.

From power-on, select setup menu, then bike profiles, and then the profile you are trying to establish pairing. Touch the grayed-out power icon. Is the Enable/Disabled soft switch turned on? If off, the Garmin won't report finding a power meter.
If you touch "Sensor Details", is there a sensor ID number registered? If so, the Garmin has recognized the G3 at some point. The full reset should have reset this too, but worth checking out.