PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of bad skewers...

benb
11-19-2015, 10:39 AM
There was a recent thread about external vs internal cam QRs.

The locking skewers for my Yakima rack are a larger version of external cam.

Looks like I need to replace them, they are losing the ability to clamp the fork tight enough to keep me feeling good about driving around with my bike on the rack.

Hard to say how many days I've used it. I bought my rack in 2013. Spring/Fall when I can't easily bike commute I probably use the rack 3 days a week, but much less in the summer.

https://d2amiavn18tu8z.cloudfront.net/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1372x1020/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/a/3a_forklift.jpg

unterhausen
11-19-2015, 10:49 AM
I love it when a product is designed with the assumption that you will never use it. Is the cam made out of plastic?

ceolwulf
11-19-2015, 10:59 AM
What really bugs me about these is you have to buy the lock cylinders separate.

AngryScientist
11-19-2015, 11:03 AM
i'm a fan of the rocky mounts unit. works well and is durably designed.

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/fat-bikes/615845d1306206723-fat-rockymounts-tray-fork-mount.jpg

R3awak3n
11-19-2015, 11:07 AM
I choose to remove the rack of the car when not in use (NYC you know), removing that damn yakima skewer is a huge pain, I have that thing. Now you are telling me that it also does not last. I regret getting that rack, wish I got a trunk rack instead.

benb
11-19-2015, 11:15 AM
Yes the cam seems to be made out of some type of "engineering plastic" but I'm not sure if the plastic part is what is actually wearing out.

Whatever it is the wear is very subtle, not much is required at all for it to start losing clamping force, and I don't think it ever had the clamping force of even a regular external cam QR like we were complaining about in the other thread.

I had external cam QRs on wheelsets that I used for years without anywhere near this level of problem.

dzxc
11-19-2015, 01:56 PM
What really bugs me about these is you have to buy the lock cylinders separate.

Annoying in some respects, but convenient to buy a 6 pack of locks and then have the same key for everything.

ceolwulf
11-19-2015, 02:16 PM
Annoying in some respects, but convenient to buy a 6 pack of locks and then have the same key for everything.

That is true. Also you can reuse them.

jeduardo
11-19-2015, 10:24 PM
Much like the Scientist, I am a Rocky Mnt fan, and have kept my pitch forks in service for over 3 season now.
Call Out to the Scientist: Just a quick question for fellow RM fan (Mr. A.S.)
I have a newer locking locking qr which keeps sticking (closing point/clutch securing position) no matter how much I lube. have you run into this issue with yours?
FWIW-A QR Note: I've temporarily replaced the RM locking QR with an older all metal Yakima Viper locking QR (heavy/dial adjust/bombproof) which works perfectly.

i'm a fan of the rocky mounts unit. works well and is durably designed.

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/fat-bikes/615845d1306206723-fat-rockymounts-tray-fork-mount.jpg

eddief
11-19-2015, 10:39 PM
gnarly. luv how those suckers snap closed and the big handles.

audi666
11-20-2015, 08:30 AM
agreed, the snap makes them feel secure. i always liked those more than the Yakima for that reason.

benb
11-20-2015, 08:49 AM
I gotta figure out what alternatives there are..

Yakima doesn't seem to sell new skewers, I'm pretty sure if I call them they'll send me one but what's the point.

I can't see on the rocky mounts site if they sell their locking skewers separately, but I also wouldn't know if they're going to fit. (Realistically these can't be that different in diameter though right?)

The lock feature is pretty important as I frequently leave my bike locked on the roof at my office throughout the day.