PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Myths?

Cicli
11-18-2015, 06:34 PM
So, I misread the "cycling gifts" title as "cycling myths". That got me thinking, what are some cycling mythis you have heard? Do you believe in any?
Discuss? I didnt search so hopefully this is a new topic. ;):bike:

mg2ride
11-18-2015, 06:50 PM
Cyclist look sexy in Lycra.

weisan
11-18-2015, 06:57 PM
I didnt search so hopefully this is a new topic. ;):bike:

tihsepa pal, are you gunning for the prize? :D

weisan
11-18-2015, 06:58 PM
That you have to be an einstein in order to enjoy riding a bike...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b4/e2/43/b4e2433c5a980065d1ccf75da815ffff.jpg

beeatnik
11-18-2015, 08:09 PM
One leg drills

dave thompson
11-18-2015, 08:25 PM
Cyclist look sexy in Lycra.

My wife does...not a myth!

MattTuck
11-18-2015, 08:26 PM
You mean, like things that people believe exist but don't actually exist?

I think lactic acid falls into that category.

Or do you mean things that the cycling industry tries to make us believe? like, we need disc brakes, a new bottom bracket standard, more stiff, more compliant, etc...

The biggest myth of them all is probably the 'this saves x number of watts'.

Lewis Moon
11-18-2015, 08:37 PM
You mean, like things that people believe exist but don't actually exist?

I think lactic acid falls into that category.

Or do you mean things that the cycling industry tries to make us believe? like, we need disc brakes, a new bottom bracket standard, more stiff, more compliant, etc...

The biggest myth of them all is probably the 'this saves x number of watts'.

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/65/6553/UNT4100Z/posters/the-x-files-i-want-to-believe-print.jpg

weisan
11-18-2015, 08:44 PM

yo dave, are y'all gonna have another one?

Dead Man
11-18-2015, 09:08 PM

New pic thread time

flydhest
11-18-2015, 09:17 PM
That you have to be an einstein in order to enjoy riding a bike...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b4/e2/43/b4e2433c5a980065d1ccf75da815ffff.jpg

That, like in life, you have to keep moving forward to avoid falling down. Einstein should have learned to track stand.

cachagua
11-18-2015, 09:20 PM
...Things that the cycling industry tries to make us believe? Like, we need disc brakes, a new bottom bracket standard, more stiff, more compliant, etc...

Yes, all of that and more. That x+1 speeds is better than x speeds, that a more complicated system for this or that function performs the function better, that anything more than 6 months old is hopelessly obsolete, that electronically quantifying your riding makes it more enjoyable... that black cycling clothing is a good idea.

No, I'm mistaken, I just realized -- these aren't myths, they're plain old lies.

Edit: thought of one more -- that doping is really worth all that fuss.

lhuerta
11-19-2015, 12:11 AM
My most favorite recent myth is: Press fit cups can be installed with just grease, no need to use Loctite.

My favorite old wives tale/myth is the one we have all heard many times: Your frame size/fit is correct when your handlebars block the view of your front hub/handlebars are in-line with your front hub.

Dr Luxurious
11-19-2015, 12:28 AM
LA was a doper.

:rolleyes:

marciero
11-19-2015, 06:22 AM
crank length determined by femur length
knee-over-spindle for saddle fore-aft
higher pressure is faster
stiffer is faster

helmets are... okay let's not go there.

merckx
11-19-2015, 06:42 AM
No sex
Don't swim
No ice cream
No fun

oldpotatoe
11-19-2015, 06:46 AM
Don't run when you can walk, don't walk when you can ride.

Don't stand when you can sit, don't sit when you can lie down.

Yes, the whole 'bike' thing is amazing and frustrating at the same time. Take a really great design, double triangle, 2 wheels...something that will take a full sized adult hundreds of miles easily...and completely goon it up..a lot of times by punts, posseurs and marketeers..

Seatmasts, oversized headtubes and tapered forks, wet disc brakes, thru axles, sloping top tubes, wide rims, tubeless tires...guess this is a good as a place as any to rant some...IMHO, BLAH...

Not a myth-The object of the ride is the ride, not the bike.

vav
11-19-2015, 06:57 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3cwH6t1CQmO20gWZn91_EbOet2NdTl Fm43mQ1Kwzanl_OMISm

marciero
11-19-2015, 07:09 AM
No water.

I read that in a Tom Simpson biography. Back then the soigneurs were like witch-doctor-gurus dispensing all kinds of crazy advice on diet, nutrition, training.

El Chaba
11-19-2015, 07:20 AM
SRAM makes reliable components....

ghcs
11-19-2015, 07:23 AM
Yes, all of that and more. That x+1 speeds is better than x speeds, that a more complicated system for this or that function performs the function better, that anything more than 6 months old is hopelessly obsolete, that electronically quantifying your riding makes it more enjoyable... that black cycling clothing is a good idea.

No, I'm mistaken, I just realized -- these aren't myths, they're plain old lies.

Edit: thought of one more -- that doping is really worth all that fuss.

:(
But everything I own is black. Not just cycling gear, everything.

Rob1519
11-19-2015, 07:36 AM
:(
But everything I own is black. Not just cycling gear, everything.

I'm ordering white bib shorts today!

sandyrs
11-19-2015, 07:54 AM
No water.

I read that in a Tom Simpson biography. Back then the soigneurs were like witch-doctor-gurus dispensing all kinds of crazy advice on diet, nutrition, training.

"Eating horse will make you fast because horses are fast" is still my favorite.

dave thompson
11-19-2015, 08:13 AM
yo dave, are y'all gonna have another one?

What, are you kidding? It took us 18 years to get rid of our first on!

New pic thread time

This is the best yer gonna get. On our way to watch the Seahawks game at Smokeys Cantina.

flydhest
11-19-2015, 08:19 AM
"Eating horse will make you fast because horses are fast" is still my favorite.

Not a myth if you pharmacist is also a horse breeder ...

CampyorBust
11-19-2015, 09:26 AM
One I have heard and actually I find to be true in my case

It takes 6 years or friding to reach prime cycling form.

MattTuck
11-19-2015, 09:33 AM
One that is similar to that, that I've always wondered about is how quickly you lose fitness when off the bike.

I remember reading that after last season (I think) Cancellara was off the bike for 1 or 2 full months. Certainly, Taylor Phinney was off the bike for a while, as are others who have injuries. But they seem to come back pretty fast once they get back on the bike.

Obviously, these guys are special cases... way at the tail of the distribution, but still. I never quite understood how I'd lose all my fitness after 14 days, but Cancellara takes a month off, and then works back up to being a pro.

ltwtsculler91
11-19-2015, 09:59 AM
One that is similar to that, that I've always wondered about is how quickly you lose fitness when off the bike.

I remember reading that after last season (I think) Cancellara was off the bike for 1 or 2 full months. Certainly, Taylor Phinney was off the bike for a while, as are others who have injuries. But they seem to come back pretty fast once they get back on the bike.

Obviously, these guys are special cases... way at the tail of the distribution, but still. I never quite understood how I'd lose all my fitness after 14 days, but Cancellara takes a month off, and then works back up to being a pro.

It is both faster and slower than we think.. If you've been training nonstop for 10+ years as a pro has, you'll lose your fitness, but your baseline will also remain higher. At the same time, it is much easier to get back to where you have been versus break new ground, so with a bit of training they get back to their previous pro level.

The other thing to keep in mind is a "month off" for a pro/elite/collegiate athlete usually means a week or two of nothing, and then moving back to doing some sort of work that you're physically able to do while injured. Off the bike for a pro may mean they are off swimming or doing some other form of x-training instead

bobswire
11-19-2015, 10:06 AM

I don't think of that as a myth, more of a caution to keep up good habits and part of that is eating well when you are off the bike for any amount of time.
I weigh myself every morning as a matter of course, otherwise "out to sight out of mind".

rzthomas
11-19-2015, 10:07 AM
Myths:

Campagnolo will make your rides sublime
Shimano has no soul
SRAM doesn't work and breaks when it does
People hate cyclists because they're jealous of us
Use the small ring or a fixed gear in the winter
No intervals until March
You can ride off bad dietary choices
A few days off the bike will make you slow

Ken Robb
11-19-2015, 10:15 AM
My most favorite recent myth is: Press fit cups can be installed with just grease, no need to use Loctite.

My favorite old wives tale/myth is the one we have all heard many times: Your frame size/fit is correct when your handlebars block the view of your front hub/handlebars are in-line with your front hub.

Jeez, I hadn't thought of this one for 20+ years. Now I'll have to check my bikes to see how they comply. :-)

coffeecake
11-19-2015, 10:20 AM
I posted this in the last myths thread:

Don't shave your legs the night before a race because re-growing hair immediately after will sap your body's energy .

I'm like, :confused::confused::confused::confused:

bobswire
11-19-2015, 10:21 AM
#1 Myth:

Italian threaded bottom brackets are superior. Yeah, maybe if you ride backwards.....:)

Red Tornado
11-19-2015, 11:05 AM
I posted this in the last myths thread:

Don't shave your legs the night before a race because re-growing hair immediately after will sap your body's energy .

I'm like, :confused::confused::confused::confused:

The way I heard it is that it saps your virility.
Either way, it ain't so. I know from experience. Leave it at that.

Coalfield
11-19-2015, 11:18 AM
Tubulars are hard to change.

campy man
11-19-2015, 11:20 AM
Myths:

Shimano has no soul
SRAM doesn't work and breaks when it does
People hate cyclists because they're jealous of us
Use the small ring or a fixed gear in the winter
No intervals until March
You can ride off bad dietary choices
A few days off the bike will make you slow

Shimano has no soul

Obviously you haven't been drinking the Campy Kool Aid :eek:

campy man
11-19-2015, 11:32 AM
LA was a doper.

:rolleyes:

My favorite ... it's not really doping if everyone else is doing it :confused:

rzthomas
11-19-2015, 11:33 AM
Shimano has no soul

Obviously you haven't been drinking the Campy Kool Aid :eek:
Ha, I sold off all my Campy to go back to Shimano across all my bikes.