PDA

View Full Version : I'm All In

bikerboy337
11-18-2015, 03:42 PM
So unexpectedly, I've somehow managed to pick up two sets of tubulars in the past 2 weeks... I had originally decided to get a nice lightweight set of aluminum clinchers to give two nice sets of wheels, I currently ride a set of record hubs to archetypes as my daily driver and wanted a nicer set to add to the queue. As I got to thinking about and researching a nicer set of handbuilts, i realized that there wasn't much i'd do to differentiate a set of wheels from the ones I already had... so i started to contemplate taking a jump to tubulars, and lo and behold found myself buying a set of HED Stinger 4 tubulars... figured these would be fun on long fast rides and in good weather and keep my clinchers for winter/rain rides and for daily use...

Then I somehow picked up another set this week, this time some sweet HED Belgium C2 Tubulars laced with Aerolites to DT 350 hubs...so now I'm full bore plowing ahead with giving tubulars a try for 2016! I'm about at the point where my main ride becomes my TI Salsa Warbird for the winter (with a nice set of handbuilt Ailerons with Pave 27s) but come spring, i'll be rocking tubulars pretty much full time on my road bike...

The Stingers have been a blast to ride so far, so smooth, fast and just nice all around... looking forward to trying the Belgium's next week when they get here, curious to see how different they'll feel from my record/archetypes... the Belgiums will be wearing a set of Vittoria Corsa CX...

Anyways, still amazed that i pulled the trigger on these two wheelsets in the past 2 weeks... we'll see how it goes! So far so good though, really enjoying my switch...

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Louis
11-18-2015, 03:47 PM
Something must be wrong - I don't see the phrase "magic carpet" in your post! ;)

Just out of curiosity, what's you plan for flats while out on the road? Spare tubular + pump or CO2 ? Sealant?

Tickdoc
11-18-2015, 03:49 PM
You go!:D

bikerboy337
11-18-2015, 03:50 PM
So they'll all be pre-treated with Orange Seal ala OPs suggestion, then a spare and pump...

Knock on wood, but I get about 1 flat every 2 years around here, i'm light on my bike and we dont have lots of thorns... plus I ride tougher wheels when the road conditions warrant... so having a spare should work in almost all situations... and from what others have said, orange seal should handle most all minor issues that i'll run into...

but we'll see...

William
11-18-2015, 03:52 PM
You'll have to repaint those wheel bags! ;)

William

PS: Nice score!

Cat3roadracer
11-18-2015, 05:30 PM
Does your wife know or do you have UPS ship to your office?

bikerboy337
11-18-2015, 07:19 PM
Intercepted the first set at the UPS store, second set is being sent for "my buddy" who is currently out of town... So no, she doesn't know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cat3roadracer
11-18-2015, 08:41 PM
Love it. Wheel sets are certainly easier to manage on the "QT", than complete bikes.