PDA

View Full Version : Okay... the squirrels are startin' to really freak me out, man..

Kevan
05-25-2006, 08:19 AM
I can't tell you how many of these buggers in the past two days have been hem-hawing a run through my spokes. And as if that's not enough there is other fauna to worry about. Yesterday, on four separate occasions deer became a concern. The morning incident was particularly interesting as I was be-boping down hill, came to a sharp right bend turn and was immediately amidst a half-dozen deer who decided it was best to hang out in the road. There I am breaking up the party as I slow way down, sheepishly muttering, "Uh.. hi, guys.", when most scatter in different directions. I've got'm to the left of me and to the right. One or two were too ballsy to even care and stood their ground. Then on the ride home, near the end of my ride, a small herd was just off the road in some thicket and when I came past them, I apparently spooked the bunch. I've never heard such racket, branches cracking and snapping, sounded like a grizzly charging (I'm guessing, never having had the pleasure.). Least the bunny-wabbits and turkey kept clear.

So the question is... should one of those bushy tail rats decide to make a break for the front wheel spokes, am I a goner?

Bud
05-25-2006, 08:24 AM
This is the time of year out here when the prairie dogs think they need to commit suicide and dash onto the pavement in front of any fast moving object. I don't know why, but there are always a lot of little prairie dog pizzas around in May. The other day on my commute, I was rushed by about five of the little bastards. I survived, but the next day at the same spot I noticed a couple of them had carced it.

Maybe it's some death/mating thing. . . dunno

Jeff Weir
05-25-2006, 08:29 AM
Nothing personal Kevan.

You ARE a goner.

zip
05-25-2006, 08:30 AM
That depends on how you hit it.

The one I ran over resulted in a flat spot on the squirrel's neck, could not have left a better mark if I had tried. My bike never slid. It ended rather badly for the squirrel, but no bike or body damage to me.

catulle
05-25-2006, 08:36 AM

Kevan
05-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Nothing personal Kevan.

You ARE a goner.

Most of this is happening in your 'hood.

roman meal
05-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Just this past week, I've dodged red squirrels, fat gray tree squirrels, deer, swooping birds, slow moving turtles (that one was easy), a beaver carrying a stick, and a mother duck followed by her progeny.

Roman Meal's 2 year old was in the sandbox, and I noted a pair of big turkey vultures circling overhead until I brought the boy inside. Just imagine me explaining that to the police- It would be on Fox news in moments. "Maybe a dingo ate your baby".

As for the front wheel, I guess it depends upon whether the squirrel gets wedged in or not. If so, well, yes, you'll leave a skin skid behind that the grey fur will float down and stick to. There are always good arguments to be found for better tire clearance.

JohnS
05-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Buy a hunting license and thin them out in the Fall. Then you don't have to worry about them the other 3 seasons!

rpm
05-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Yesterday on my lunch hour ride a fox darted out in front of me and then did a squirrel-like U turn. Hitting a squirrel is bad enough but hitting a fox would have been a bad scene for all concerned. And this incident wasn't out in the country--it was on one of my usual urban routes.

Maybe all the creatures of the forest are getting together and planning a revolution.

catulle
05-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Maybe all the creatures of the forest are getting together and planning a revolution.

I think atmo may have something to do with, atmo.

dave thompson
05-25-2006, 10:06 AM

William
05-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Bark like a dog on the decents.

I'm serious.

William

Kevan
05-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Today, Kevan was taken out by a horny St. Bernard. I can just see it.

I do tend to yell at the little critters well in advance, as they try to decide their fate.

Too Tall
05-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Williams predilecton for barking while bombing descents accounts for the recently swamped pysch ward at St. E's. The squirrels just have no sense of humor and finding the correct dose of thorzine is difficult. William you've made a mess of things.

One of my Std. Poodles thinks they are fun to chase, the other one thinks it is undignified to acknowledge rodents...I feel the same...'ave mine on a bun sir.

Bruce K
05-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Kev;

In answer to your original question, I think you are just plain gone. ;)

They really are all just trying to help you sharpen your reflexes and test your eye-hand coordination (see the deer - hit the brakes....reaction time?).

If this happens a few more times, I hear that those Tide laundry pens work great on "skid marks" and they would fit in a jersey pocket quite easily. :rolleyes:

Good luck,

BK

Ginger
05-25-2006, 11:53 AM
The squirrels are trying to enhance their tree climbing performance and think that they'll have better access to the required "products" through cycling.

little.man
05-25-2006, 12:11 PM
One guy that I ride with thinks the best way to avoid squirrels is to ride
right at them. His theory is that the squirrels consider the bike a predator and
are confused by any path other than straight at them. Kinda seems to work.

Was in a training race where a squirrel got flattened. Least it slowed down
the pace for a bit.

Was in a road race where a rat got in a guys wheel. He was able to get it
out, but it was touch and go there for a bit.

zap
05-25-2006, 12:28 PM
snipped

One guy that I ride with thinks the best way to avoid squirrels is to ride
right at them. His theory is that the squirrels consider the bike a predator and
are confused by any path other than straight at them. Kinda seems to work.

It's what I do when riding solo. Aim straight for them.

Some make it. Some don't.

marle
05-25-2006, 12:43 PM
If a deer is in front of you hit the brakes, stay straight and don't try guess which way to go. Deer evolved to move randomly to avoid predators - wolves.

Serpico
05-25-2006, 12:54 PM
http://rolfprima.com/products/images/carbon_tt_wheels.gif

Saxon
05-25-2006, 10:07 PM
EPO has hit 2 already this season and I was behind him both times to observe both events. I've started to call his Legend "The Terminator". Both were hit on fast descents and he never had any bike control problems. No fork jams yet. I'm developing a theory... There are two types of squirrels I encounter, the ones that are in the way, see you and move out of the way and the suicide squirrels that run out of nowhere right under your tires like a guided missile. The second squirrel Joe hit ran right at his bike, stopped about an inch from his front tire, then charged right under his bike. The little guy obviously knew there was an object there, but he charged it anyway. The only other time I see this squirrel behavior is when two or more little guys are fighting for territory or some kind of mating dance. They run at each other at full speed and kind of tackle and roll. The speed and movement of the bikes may be triggering this instinct and they run at the bike thinking it's another squirrel. Talk about a rough first date!

inGobwetrust
05-25-2006, 10:29 PM
That's some nice glass on your rig, Dave!

Fixed
05-25-2006, 10:32 PM
bro it's not the squirrels that bother me out there it's the nuts
cheers

EPOJoe
05-25-2006, 11:35 PM
As bad as the squirrels are now, I'm more concerned with the rattlesnakes. In the past few weeks, I've had at least six of 'em in my path, riding over one of the poor guys who I failed to see in time, and being forced off the road by a big five-footer who I saw in time, and could just imagine getting caught up in my tire, causing me to fall in a wonderful pile of twisted ti and toxic snake. There must be twenty species of snake around here; Why is it all I see in the road are these rattlers?! I suppose the upside is that they eat the squirrels...

Elefantino
05-26-2006, 05:44 AM
I don't mind them running out in front. I hate when they run out, turn back, turn again, turn again, freeze...

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To show the squirrel how it's done.

:bike:

Ray
05-26-2006, 05:55 AM
One guy that I ride with thinks the best way to avoid squirrels is to ride right at them. His theory is that the squirrels consider the bike a predator and are confused by any path other than straight at them. Kinda seems to work.
I try not to react to them at all - I don't change my line or my speed. I don't know if this helps me miss 'em or not, but when I do hit them (I've nailed at least 4-5 over the years), I stay upright. If you react to their quick little movements you risk going down whether you hit 'em or not. My brother-in-law messed himself up real good trying to avoid a squirrel a few years ago. Still has fallout from that injury. I don't think the little fuc&er even appreciated it!

Now deer - that's another story. I don't fancy hitting one of those at any speed.

-Ray