PDA

View Full Version : generic carbon rims

d_douglas
11-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Hi folks:

I am sure this has been covered before, so I apologize in advance. If you can point me to succinct discussions on this, I would appreciate it.

I am thinking of selling a set of 28h King R45 disc hubs laced to Iron Cross rims. They are mint, but I feel like I might ruin them due to the fact that I am 200lbs.

Feedback from one pro wheel builder (he is local to me but on here) and Eric/Ergott is that 28h carbon rims would be plenty for me. I wish that I could grab two ENVE rims and rebuild the hubs, but it isn't in the cards.

Ergott has suggested NOX, which sound good but are still too pricy, while my other contact even said that he has built with generic carbon rims (Lightbicycle or whatever the brand is) and has been satisfied with the results and his clients have reported that three years later, they are still going strong.

As this option is more affordable, I am wondering what others think about 28h LightBicycle disc rims - will they be nice and stiff and strong for a big dude? Are there any 28h alloy disc rims that would be as stiff? My friend here says HED Belgium 25's are the top of the heap in terms of alloy rims for this purpose.

My initial inclination is to sell these wheels as is and start fresh, but perhaps a rebuild does make sense, if the rims aren't insanely expensive.

Thoughts>?

saab2000
11-17-2015, 04:23 PM
I had Eric/Ergott rebuild my disc brake wheels with Pacenti SL25s. Totally pleased. They're pretty light and since aero is not important (to me at least) on my gravel bike they were a no-brainer.

I had Stan's rims before and we had de-tensioning issues with them. So far, so good with the Pacenti rims but I also haven't done a hard ride on them yet either.

Another bonus is that they look really good. No branding decals except the Ergott decals and I love the matte finish.

PS - We're pretty close in weight and my 28/28 have been fine. No issues at all. I use White Industries 6-bolt hubs. I wish I had waited for centerlock hubs to come out but this was relatively early in the gravel bike phenomenon and there weren't as many centerlock hubs in 135 spacing available then as there are now. If yours are CL hubs I'd probably stick with them. If they're 6-bolt I might consider a whole new build.

eBAUMANN
11-17-2015, 04:48 PM
light bicycle and farsports make nice rims...the NOX mtb offerings actually look a LOT like farsports new mtb rims, FWIW.

d_douglas
11-17-2015, 05:09 PM
I had Eric/Ergott rebuild my disc brake wheels with Pacenti SL25s. Totally pleased. They're pretty light and since aero is not important (to me at least) on my gravel bike they were a no-brainer.

I had Stan's rims before and we had de-tensioning issues with them. So far, so good with the Pacenti rims but I also haven't done a hard ride on them yet either.

Another bonus is that they look really good. No branding decals except the Ergott decals and I love the matte finish.

PS - We're pretty close in weight and my 28/28 have been fine. No issues at all. I use White Industries 6-bolt hubs. I wish I had waited for centerlock hubs to come out but this was relatively early in the gravel bike phenomenon and there weren't as many centerlock hubs in 135 spacing available then as there are now. If yours are CL hubs I'd probably stick with them. If they're 6-bolt I might consider a whole new build.

I think I am *A BIT* heavier than you ?!?!? No? Yes, the SL25s have been recommended as well, though I am not sure they would be that much better than the Iron Cross rims. The hubs are King R45, so they are 6bolt. I would rather have CL rotors, but in the end, I can live with either. I have some nice IceTech rotors sitting unused, so that is the main driver. Its a function of me being cheap.

I have had one offer on the wheels that seems reasonable, so pending confirmation of shipping costs, I may just go that route.

Eric: thanks for your feedback on these rims. I am skeptical, but it appears that I am in the minority. I hear good things about these things.

old fat man
11-17-2015, 07:52 PM
I'm extremely pleased with the White Industry - Pacenti SL25 wheels that Ergott built for me. Center lock, snazzy green hubs, and super durable. I've been pounding them on the cx bike this fall and they haven't moved a hair.

thegunner
11-17-2015, 07:55 PM
i got farsports rims... and they've been good for me for the last season.5 (one minor cosmetic complaint, but i might get another set when they neeed replacing)

gavingould
11-17-2015, 08:03 PM
i've raced cross a couple seasons on light-bicycle 38mm tubular rims, disc, 28h.
they haven't needed a touch from a spoke wrench, i'm 225lbs on an extremely light day and like to jump over stuff.

as long as the builder is good, you're no worse off than any other rim. and if you botch one in a wreck, pretty cheap to replace compared to big-name carbon.

needmobikes
11-19-2015, 12:02 AM
I bought two wheel build sets from BHS (dint want to intentionally advertise, so look up the acronym) and I am very pleased with the build. Set 1: Pacenti 23s, CX Ray spokes, T11 WI hubs; set 2: BHS brand rims (23mm wide x 31mm depth), CX Ray spokes, T11 WI hubs. Check on their site bc I'm sure they offer a wheel package with disc specific rims.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk