PDA

View Full Version : Surly Pacer owners: Fork / Tire clearance question

p nut
11-17-2015, 01:44 PM
For those that own a Pacer, what is the max tire clearance on the fork? (With the brake on, of course). My current bike only fits 28-29. I'd like to be able to run some 700x32-33 or maybe 35 tires on it. The fork on my current bike is around 371mm A/C with 45mm rake. Pacer's numbers seem to match up fairly well.

I had a Steamroller in the past and could fit 700x35 cross tires. Confusing thing is, the A/C measurement is 375mm (according to Surly) and clearance for 700x38, while the Pacer's A/C is longer at 376mm, but Surly says 700x32 is the max. Bit confusing to me.

Thanks for any info.

eBAUMANN
11-17-2015, 02:18 PM
manufacturers will almost always UNDERSTATE the capacities of their given product...because almost nobody will complain about having MORE than they need, but everyone will complain if they have less.

i wouldnt be surprised at all if the pacer could easily handle "35's" - taking into consideration that not all 35c tires are the same size and will vary in size again depending on the rims youre using.

guido
11-17-2015, 02:27 PM
My SO runs compass 28c tires on her Pacer. Looks like lots of room to spare. I can try a front wheel with a compass 32c on it tonite to see how that works...

majorpat
11-17-2015, 02:28 PM
I have Pasela 32s on mine with more room available

tumbler
11-17-2015, 03:15 PM
Like others said, 32s should fit easily. I believe the older ones, maybe pre-2012, had less clearance and could only fit 28s or maybe a 30. This blog post (http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/new_product_bean_spillage_commences_now) from late 2011 notes the change:

"We've also updated the crown and rear tire spacing to allow for true 700x32 tires or 700x28s with fenders. This also means that the frame will no longer work with any short reach (read: Dura-ace, Campy, 105, SRAM Rival, etc) brakes - only standard (47-57mm) reach calipers baby."

I kind of want one of those. Another plus is that the decals are not clear-coated and can be removed for a clean, comfy, no frills ride. Only problem is that I don't like the current red color.

Lovic
11-17-2015, 03:23 PM
Surly's site says you got room for 32s with a fender: http://surlybikes.com/parts/forks/pacer_fork I think you'll be good to go with 32-35s.

commonguy001
11-17-2015, 04:34 PM
I no longer have mine but as long as it is one of the newer ones you should be good with a 32 or bigger.
My blue pacer (last color before the red) was the first I'm aware of that had the better clearance and required medium reach brakes.

p nut
11-17-2015, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I didn't see the page on the fork specifically. That helps. I'll get one ordered up.

But just for my curiosity's sake:

My current fork has 371mm a/c, 45mm rake. Given that the Pacer's fork is a bit longer with the similar rake, would it be worthwhile to look at another fork with LESS rake? i.e., the Steamroller fork has the same 375mm length, but 38mm rake. Is this more preferable? I'm trying to picture this in my head: with a longer fork, it slackens the head angle a little bit. This also increases the offset (right?). If I use a fork with less offset, does it compensate for the longer length/slacker HTA?