PDA

View Full Version : Initial impression of Schwalbe One Tubeless

Keith A
11-16-2015, 10:32 PM
I installed my first Schwalbe One tubeless tonight and this was the easiest tubeless tire I have installed to date. It also sealed right up when it was inflated without any issues. Two thumbs up so far and I'm anxious to give these a spin.

BTW, this went on a Dura-Ace 7850 SL wheel. I managed to kill my front tire on some road debris this past Saturday.

oldpotatoe
11-17-2015, 05:57 AM
I installed my first Schwalbe One tubeless tonight and this was the easiest tubeless tire I have installed to date. It also sealed right up when it was inflated without any issues. Two thumbs up so far and I'm anxious to give these a spin.

BTW, this went on a Dura-Ace 7850 SL wheel. I managed to kill my front tire on some road debris this past Saturday.

Tubeless? Did you have to call for a rescue?

Yes, this is a tubular tire user troll...;):p

marciero
11-17-2015, 06:33 AM
Apologies for comments on clincher, but the first two Schwalbe One clinchers I bought both had defects in the casing, or perhaps tread, or both. One had a sideways wave/ripple and the other had ripple and and a crease in the center. This was after several sets of Ultremos that I was happy with.

Keith A
11-17-2015, 06:33 AM
Tubeless? Did you have to call for a rescue?

Yes, this is a tubular tire user troll...;):pYes tubeless. Fortunately, the cut in the tire wasn't that big and I was able to put in a tube and ride on. No rescue required :) However, this tire isn't safe to use anymore...tube or not.

ergott
11-17-2015, 07:21 AM
I have 23mm One TL (tubeless) on two sets of wheels. They are indeed nice to ride on. Oddly, I had the worst time getting one of them aired up. I chalk it up as a one-off issue, but I wasted almost a whole bottle of sealant until the tire finally snapped in place. This was with a 45gal compressor. The other 2 mounted up with just my floor pump.

Schwalbe has really upped their game in the last couple of years.

Keith A
11-17-2015, 07:32 AM
Eric -- BTW, I put this tire on sans sealant.

Since I brought up these tires, it looks like these have been revised and here's a review of the latest version...
http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/schwalbe-pro-one-tubeless-tyres-review/

93legendti
11-17-2015, 08:05 AM
Thanks for posting. Will have to try these-

"weight, suppleness and ease of installation makes for the best road tubeless we have tested"

xeladragon
11-17-2015, 08:27 AM
For me personally, while I enjoyed the ride of tubeless Schwalbe One 700x28s mounted on Pacenti SL23 v1 rims, I decided that the difficulty of mounting/removing the tires was a deal breaker for me. I couldn't do it with just tire levers... needed a tire bead jack. I might try tubeless again in the future, but definitely not with SL23 v1 rims. In the meantime, looking forward to getting my hands on some Vittoria Graphene clinchers.

Keith A
11-17-2015, 08:32 AM
xeladragon -- This tire went on my Dura-Ace rims without too much trouble, just one tire lever was needed. I've had much worse before, but these were relatively easy to install.

ptourkin
11-17-2015, 09:07 AM
Apologies for comments on clincher, but the first two Schwalbe One clinchers I bought both had defects in the casing, or perhaps tread, or both. One had a sideways wave/ripple and the other had ripple and and a crease in the center. This was after several sets of Ultremos that I was happy with.

Thanks Keith - awaiting your report.

Marciero. I've been riding the clinchers exclusively for a while now. I initially installed them as race tires but left them on and have been surprised to get around 3,000 miles on them each time. I've had occasional visible cuts but they filled fine with Shoe Goo and kept going.

My understanding is that the Ones are made in a dedicated factory. Maybe there was a problem with your batch but I've been impressed.

Keith A
11-17-2015, 09:10 AM
Humorous update...

After I finished this tire installation last night, I told my wife..."I really shouldn't say this out loud, because the tire gremlins are listening, but that was the easiest tubeless tire installation and inflation I have ever had."

On the way walking out the door this morning, I decided to check to see how well this tire held air...and I bet you can guess what I found...it was flat :eek: Looks like I won't be riding on this wheel tonight :(

jds108
11-17-2015, 09:33 AM
Humorous update...

After I finished this tire installation last night, I told my wife..."I really shouldn't say this out loud, because the tire gremlins are listening, but that was the easiest tubeless tire installation and inflation I have ever had."

On the way walking out the door this morning, I decided to check to see how well this tire held air...and I bet you can guess what I found...it was flat :eek: Looks like I won't be riding on this wheel tonight :(

Was that because it was installed with no sealant? I thought tubeless tires 'required' sealant. When I first got a set, I did a test fit at home overnight without sealant and IIRC, one was completely flat and the other was significantly down on pressure. Then after putting in the sealant, there were no leaks like that.

DrSpoke
11-17-2015, 10:13 AM
I'm waiting for the new Pro Ones to come out. They look like a great tire. I also plan to use both the S-One and the G-One on my gravel bike. Hurry up Schwalbe.

doomridesout
11-17-2015, 10:19 AM
I got a pair of Pro Ones a week ago from Germany. 700x25 tubeless version. So far so good-- Easy mounting (easier than the Ones), and totally unfussy inflation with a floor pump. They ride great, but that might also be the Fulcrum Zeros I got with them...

Keith A
11-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Was that because it was installed with no sealant? I thought tubeless tires 'required' sealant. When I first got a set, I did a test fit at home overnight without sealant and IIRC, one was completely flat and the other was significantly down on pressure. Then after putting in the sealant, there were no leaks like that.I don't use sealant in my tires and haven't had a problem. As I've stated, this is on a Dura-Ace 7850 SL wheelset and up till now, I have used Hutchinson Fusion 2's, 3's and Intensives. I have avoided the sealant as I've seen what it can do to the aluminum rims. I do understand that there some out there now that won't eat aluminum ;)

ergott
11-17-2015, 10:35 AM
I have avoided the sealant as I've seen what it can do to the aluminum rims.

Just put one wrap of tape on the rims to protect them.

For me, the biggest advantage of tubeless is the combination of tire and sealant reducing roadside repairs.

Keith A
11-17-2015, 12:05 PM
Just put one wrap of tape on the rims to protect them.

For me, the biggest advantage of tubeless is the combination of tire and sealant reducing roadside repairs.Thanks for the input. Do you have any particular brand of tape that you prefer?

doomridesout
11-17-2015, 12:19 PM
I think he means any old tubeless tape but the appropriate high tensile strapping tape is the same thing, just not sold for bicycle purposes. Much cheaper. Tesa 4289 for one or 3M high tensile strapping tape. Anything really thin should work to protect the rim, though. Orange Seal gets my vote as a less corrosive option for sealant too.

ergott
11-17-2015, 12:19 PM
Shouldn't matter, but I regularly use Stan's and more recently, Pacenti. The Pacenti tape is a little easier to work with for me.

bking
11-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the input. Do you have any particular brand of tape that you prefer?

here you go: Scotch Film Strapping Tape 8898 Ivory, 24 mm x 55 m (Pack of 1)
6 bucks at amazon and you can get 55m of it. or get enough for a set of tires with someones name plastered on Scotch's tape (they make most of it) and pay $13.

Keith A
11-17-2015, 12:23 PM
Thanks for all of the input!

93legendti
11-17-2015, 01:14 PM
I turned the mechanic at Performance on to Guerilla Tape for tubeless rim tape - at least for tubeless conversions. Reasonable, very easy to use and holds up better than Stan's.

oddsaabs
11-17-2015, 01:36 PM
I got a pair of Pro Ones a week ago from Germany. 700x25 tubeless version. So far so good-- Easy mounting (easier than the Ones), and totally unfussy inflation with a floor pump. They ride great, but that might also be the Fulcrum Zeros I got with them...

May I ask from whom in Germany you found them? So far in the US only the Pro One 23mm size are available.

Also, how do they measure up when inflated? Are they true to size or a little wider?

Keith A
11-17-2015, 01:39 PM
May I ask from whom in Germany you found them? So far in the US only the Pro One 23mm size are available.

Also, how do they measure up when inflated? Are they true to size or a little wider?I don't have the Pro One's, but I measured the regular Schwalbe One that I installed last night and it was about 24mm.

oddsaabs
11-17-2015, 01:48 PM
I don't have the Pro One's, but I measured the regular Schwalbe One that I installed last night and it was about 24mm.

Thanks!

Was that the 25 or 23 size?

scharny
11-17-2015, 02:28 PM
For what it's worth I have been running 700x28 Schwalbe One tubeless on tubeless ultegra wheels since July 3rd. I wore through one in the rear in approx 1,400 miles, swapped front to back and put a new one on the front. They seem to have about the same life as a Conti Gatorskin. However the ride quality and not having to worry about flats (I ride a lot of gravel) really makes them worthwhile to me, but I wish they would last a bit longer, considering how much they cost.

Keith A
11-17-2015, 02:30 PM
Thanks!

Was that the 25 or 23 size?I guess that would help :rolleyes:, they are 23's.

jds108
11-17-2015, 02:42 PM
I don't use sealant in my tires and haven't had a problem. As I've stated, this is on a Dura-Ace 7850 SL wheelset and up till now, I have used Hutchinson Fusion 2's, 3's and Intensives. I have avoided the sealant as I've seen what it can do to the aluminum rims. I do understand that there some out there now that won't eat aluminum ;)

Good to know. For some reason I thought that sealant was "required".

veloduffer
11-17-2015, 02:46 PM
I've run the Schwalbe tubeless for two seasons and they have performed well. Mine are on Stans' Alpha 340 wheels and mounted without levers or compressor - very easy. I mounted them dry and let them sit overnight before taking out the valve and adding Stan's sealant.

I recently took them off to clean and refresh the sealant, which was surprisingly still liquid.

scharny
11-18-2015, 08:53 AM
For me personally, while I enjoyed the ride of tubeless Schwalbe One 700x28s mounted on Pacenti SL23 v1 rims, I decided that the difficulty of mounting/removing the tires was a deal breaker for me. I couldn't do it with just tire levers... needed a tire bead jack. I might try tubeless again in the future, but definitely not with SL23 v1 rims. In the meantime, looking forward to getting my hands on some Vittoria Graphene clinchers.

I had trouble as well on my most recent mounting. Used a hair dryer to heat up the sidewalls of the tire so as to make it more stretchy. Worked great.

ptourkin
11-18-2015, 09:02 AM
I recently used this to mount a pair of tight keirin grips on some thick carbon Alpina track bars. Slid right on and then evaporated. Better than hair spray - maybe it would work on a tight rim

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Vf3XnJimL.jpg

http://smile.amazon.com/Boy-Butter-Original-Personal-Lubricant/dp/B00GIXPQ9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447858780&sr=8-1&keywords=boy+butter

xeladragon
11-18-2015, 09:21 AM
I had trouble as well on my most recent mounting. Used a hair dryer to heat up the sidewalls of the tire so as to make it more stretchy. Worked great.

That works when you're at home, but not when you get a flat on the road. :)

I still like tubeless, but until I get some more tubeless-friendly rims, I'm gonna stick with clinchers.

I'd love for Campy to update their aluminum wheelsets with a wider rim... I'd be all over that!

Keith A
11-18-2015, 09:27 AM
xeladragon -- I've read that the Pacenti SL23 v1 rims were more challenging than other tubeless ready rims, so you might consider trying a different rim/wheel if you want to go with a tubeless setup. I know that there is a version 2 of the SL23, but don't know if these a better for mounting tubeless tires or not.

xeladragon
11-18-2015, 10:06 AM
xeladragon -- I've read that the Pacenti SL23 v1 rims were more challenging than other tubeless ready rims, so you might consider trying a different rim/wheel if you want to go with a tubeless setup. I know that there is a version 2 of the SL23, but don't know if these a better for mounting tubeless tires or not.

Yep, I'm aware of the SL23 v2. Overall, sounds nice, but apparently, the brake track is pretty narrow, so I'm gonna hold off on replacing my v1 rims until something better comes along.

ariw
11-18-2015, 01:29 PM
I have been running these in 25's on my Corima's for several months now, best tubeless that I have found.

-Ari

old fat man
11-18-2015, 03:21 PM
Very pleased with both the 23mm One's and the 28mm One's, run tubeless on:

- Fulcrum 1 two-way
- Pacenti SL25
- Shimano R61

I use sealant in all instances. I have had difficulty getting them to seal without sealant. I also find that storing the wheel flat (on the axle end) and periodically spinning it, or taking them out for a brief ride immediately after getting a successful seal helps prevent that overnight flat scenario.

I'm looking for a good price on some 25's for next season. I'm going on 4 years with tubeless without issue (15000+ miles). If only I could keep it up on the mtb...

doomridesout
11-18-2015, 03:42 PM
Found mine on Starbike.

oddsaabs
11-18-2015, 04:15 PM
Found mine on Starbike.

Thanks!

Just checked Starbike and they look like their out of stock at the moment. They have the 23's and 28's, but no 25's. A US based supplier said they should have them next week, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

http://glorycycles.com/schwalbe-pro-one-tubeless-clincher/

ptourkin
11-18-2015, 04:33 PM
Check with tiremaniacs.com I've been getting my Schwalbes from him for a few years. Euro prices with quicker shipping. I know he has the 2015 versions in 25.

Catdr
11-18-2015, 07:00 PM
I recently took them off to clean and refresh the sealant, .....

The reason I am not interested in tubeless.

Muffin Man
11-19-2015, 01:25 AM
Schwalbe One Tubeless on Pacenti SL23 v2 rims with stans tape, stans valves, and orange seal was super easy install.

Soapy water on the bead, and it sealed first try both rims. Only have about 1.2k miles on them so far, but no punctures, and I've heard the sealant work at least once.

corky
11-19-2015, 01:30 AM
The reason I am not interested in tubeless.

Run them without sealant......if you puncture you just pop a tube in ......no mess

Keith A
11-19-2015, 07:02 AM
Run them without sealant......if you puncture you just pop a tube in ......no messThat's exactly what I do :)

osu cycling
11-19-2015, 05:47 PM

I had problems with nearly every Ultremo ZX I owned, ruining several tires due to sidewall cuts and bulges. I was afraid I'd run into the same thing with the Schwalbe One tubeless (as it's more or less the next get of that tire but tubeless). Much to my surprise though, not a single problem... even running the 28 version fairly regularly on a light gravel CX track.

audi666
11-20-2015, 08:33 AM
im pretty intrigued to try them out.

does anyone use them for urban riding/commuting where glass/debris is a big factor in tire choice?

Keith A
11-20-2015, 09:10 AM
im pretty intrigued to try them out.

does anyone use them for urban riding/commuting where glass/debris is a big factor in tire choice?
From Schwalbe's website...

The name alone indicates how significant this new tire is for Schwalbe. It is the fastest and at the same time most reliable competition tire we have ever made. It is manufactured in a separate facility built exclusively for the production of this new top-class tire.

Just my two cents, but I'm not sure my first choice for urban riding/commuting would be a "competition" tire.