PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Laces

jmal
11-16-2015, 02:57 PM
Am I the only one confused by the current trend of lace up cycling shoes? Laces are the absolute worst way to hold cycling shoes on one's feet in my opinion. The last thing I want to worry about is having a lace come untied and wrapped in my chainrings. That's all.

AngryScientist
11-16-2015, 02:59 PM
seems silly to me also. i have no interest in owning a cycling shoe with laces. i dont get it?

David Kirk
11-16-2015, 03:02 PM
I really like laces on some shoes. I have a pair of D2 customs with velcro straps and since they are made to fit my feet the straps work perfectly.

But for me, on non-custom shoes, I really like laces as they allow me to very accurately wrap the upper around my oddly shaped and problematic feet. Yes laces can be a PITA but for some they are worth it - they are for me anyway.

dave

milkbaby
11-16-2015, 03:02 PM
This website blew my mind because I had been tying shoelaces in a way that they were more likely to come untied until I read this info online: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm

I got a pair of the Giro lace ups from a fellow forumite here and they have a little band where you can slide the laces in so they don't flop around at all. That and a proper double knot utilizing the proper tying technique I learned from the website above means they don't come untied.

Llewellyn
11-16-2015, 03:04 PM
Count me in. There are many things about cycling that I think were better years ago.......but lace up shoes aren't one of them.

Gummee
11-16-2015, 03:07 PM
My first road shoes were lace-up. Haven't looked back in a long time.

...but...

The Empire ACC reflective jobbies have caught my eye. Ditto with the flame orange VR-90s.

So, I may end up having not one, but TWO pair of lace-up shoes here before too long.

M

jmal
11-16-2015, 03:08 PM
I really like laces on some shoes. I have a pair of D2 customs with velcro straps and since they are made to fit my feet the straps work perfectly.

But for me, on non-custom shoes, I really like laces as they allow me to very accurately wrap the upper around my oddly shaped and problematic feet. Yes laces can be a PITA but for some they are worth it - they are for me anyway.

dave

I suppose I am lucky to have pretty average feet, so Velcro, Boa, or ratchet buckles all work fine for me. While I can understand that some people like laces for a specific foot/fit issue, it seems to be a fashion trend at the moment. I don't like high waisted women's jeans either for that matter. I lived through that once already.

jmal
11-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Oh, I realize this is a pointless thread, but I'm bored at work and one too many Instagram hipsters pushed my button.

maximus
11-16-2015, 03:30 PM
Ha, not completely pointless.

I bought some shoes just last week and couldn't get over the idea of lacing up my shoes before every ride (multiple times a day for me due to the commute). Not really a question of "can I get 'em tight enough" more a feeling of "I don't want to mess with that." Straps/Buckles get plenty tight plenty quick for me.

The Empires look great, no argument there. To each their own. :beer:

ultraman6970
11-16-2015, 06:26 PM
Laces sucks, we had nothing else tho so what I was doing was just using electrical tape over them in the really important races.

Then I went to sidi (the one that Fignon had), never fit right... then wen to time shoes and that was a revelation.

Non sense in laces, but I do think that boa system works eventhought I havent used ever. Cant pay for shoes with boa.

Veloo
11-16-2015, 06:27 PM
The Carnac Legend was a pretty popular shoe. It was one of the better fitting shoes for me.

bironi
11-16-2015, 06:33 PM
To each his own. I've had both, currently riding with laces. I bought stretchy laces for the first time. That removes the need to loosen up the laces as the feet swell. They both work. I am careful tying the laces and these stretchy ones never come untied.

Cicli
11-16-2015, 06:41 PM
I had a pair of Empires. The best thing I did was sell them. Didnt like laces at all. What a pain.

93legendti
11-16-2015, 07:13 PM
This website blew my mind because I had been tying shoelaces in a way that they were more likely to come untied until I read this info online: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm

I got a pair of the Giro lace ups from a fellow forumite here and they have a little band where you can slide the laces in so they don't flop around at all. That and a proper double knot utilizing the proper tying technique I learned from the website above means they don't come untied.

A site dedicated to shoe laces - I love the Internet!

parco
11-16-2015, 10:10 PM
My AXO shoes lace up and they have never come undone on me. They also have a flap that closes with velcro that covers the laces. Great shoes, very comfortable, made of kangaroo hide and they last forever.

marciero
11-17-2015, 06:27 AM
I had a pair of Empires. The best thing I did was sell them. Didnt like laces at all. What a pain.

I sent a pm or posted, I think on those, but they were sold.

An issue I am dealing with right now that laces would ameliorate/solve/fix is the velcro losing its grip. My Sidis would be good for another 5 years if I could deal with that. I tried attaching self-adhesive velcro. Did not work. Maybe if I had it sewn onto the strap...
The buckle also seems to mysteriously back off a click mid ride also. Pretty sure it's not my feet settling.

oldpotatoe
11-17-2015, 06:28 AM
I sent a pm or posted, I think on those, but they were sold.

An issue I am dealing with right now that laces would ameliorate/solve/fix is the velcro losing its grip. My Sidis would be good for another 5 years if I could deal with that. I tried attaching self-adhesive velcro. Did not work. Maybe if I had it sewn onto the strap...
The buckle also seems to mysteriously back off a click mid ride also. Pretty sure it's not my feet settling.

Go see a good shoe repair guy. As for 'backing off', I thought mine did too(Sidi 5), but it is indeed my foot 'settling'..I do have OTC orthotics tho..

chiasticon
11-17-2015, 06:33 AM
when I first got into cycling, I couldn't get over the fact that all the shoes were velcro. I kept thinking "these look like shoes you'd see on an old lady, one who struggles with arthritis and can't bend over long enough to tie her shoes." (see below) so I was stoked to see laces. of course, I have some velcro-closure shoes I love as well. but I dig the look of the laces. that's it, mainly. they're not an inconvenience really and so far I've have no issues with them.

http://www.raymaxscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Raymax-White-Velcro4.jpg

weisan
11-17-2015, 07:16 AM
shoe laces are fine, humans have been using em' since we were living in a cave.

oldpotatoe
11-17-2015, 07:21 AM
shoe laces are fine, humans have been using em' since we were living in a cave.

Doh...

guido
11-17-2015, 07:31 AM
I vowed never to use laced shoes on a bike since the day I caught the lace of one of my sneakers on the pedal spindle while speeding along on my old coaster brake 3 speed. The lace wound it self around the spindle as I pedaled until it jammed tight causing me to lock the rear wheel, skid and crash quite spectacularly.

That is one retro trend I will not be joining.

redir
11-17-2015, 08:30 AM
For me laces are way better but it's probably due to my freakish feet. I wear a size 14 US and have very thin feet so almost every shoe that has a ratchet mechanism I can buy I run out of clicks and it's too loose. So I always have to glue velcro strips in to beef up the strapping.

Plain Velcro wears out in time and sucks.

With laces just like the laces on my running shoes I can add the perfect amount of pressure to the feet as I lace them up and tie them off. Laces are the best.

denapista
11-17-2015, 10:31 AM
Don't knock it until you tried it.... Have you ridden in a pair of cycling shoes with laces and compared them to velcro or those knob retention systems?

I've always used the Giro Prolight SLX shoes, or whatever top level shoes before them. I finally got a pair of Giro Empire SLX and hands down the best pair of shoes I've owned to date, comfort wise. If you think the laces are going to come undone, then you haven't tried a pair of these shoes. I can attest to over 1000's of miles in my Empire SLX shoes and the laces haven't come undone once. The laces that come on these road shoes aren't the same cheap style on a pair of Chuck Taylors. They're pretty thick and long and you loop them down thru a holder towards the toe. Most of my buddies ride empire shoes, and in the years empires have been around I haven't heard one story of laces coming undone and getting stuck in a chain ring. You have a higher chance of a tire blowing off and getting stuck in your wheel tossing you over the bars. The laces on the empire shoes lock pretty snug.

A good friend once said "The bike industry is driven by misguided tradition".

Basing what trend you see on instagram has nothing to do with the quality of the current available cycling shoes with laces. Instagram can be a debbie downer if you let it, especially in a time of "Look at me" self centered society we live in. People are on there to look cool in the newest weekly kit drop, for likes. I toss on my Empire SLX shoes and tie them to the amount of tightness I want and never think about them once on a ride. Where as I felt I was always loosening velcro or the BOA on other shoes. I get the same amount of stiffness from my Empire SLX with the ease of shoe strings. Why complicate something so simple?

jmal
11-17-2015, 12:01 PM
I, on the other hand, have never had a problem with Velcro or other methods. I think three velcro straps are as simple as it gets. I can also adjust on the bike, which is not possible with laces. The other thought I have is that laces on a mtb are just another item to snag on trail hazards. Sticks in the woods are enough of a problem without them getting caught on laces. Many of the shoes I have seen do not have a cover over the laces.

gospastic
11-17-2015, 12:49 PM
I tried not to judge them without trying them...now that I have lace-ups I enjoy them very much. I switch back and forth between the Empire SLXs and the Prolight SLX IIs, I like both.

denapista
11-17-2015, 12:54 PM
Your fears are nothing more than fears... I ride with guys who race MTB and ride daily in the LA trails, etc in Giro Empire VR90 shoes. I've yet to hear a story of laces getting caught on debris or trees. Again all fears that I've yet to hear about. The Giro shoes have a loop that's pretty snug and you put the laces in there. That's pretty much it. Tie your shoes, put the laces in the loop or tuck them and you're golden. No tree snags or anything. Pretty much my entire circle of friends ride Empire shoes with a few riding Shimano R321 and Sworks. We talk about everything under the moon and not one single time has anyone mentioned a shoe coming untied or snagged on a branch.

To each is own, but at least try something before you dislike it. I'll never go back to velcro straps, well I do want the blue R321 shoes. My only gripe with the current trend of road shoes are the lack of front support for toe rub. Th R321 has a rubber stop there for that specific reason. Nothing like paying $400 for shoes that get rubbed to death while slow turning in a parking lot.

jmal
11-17-2015, 02:13 PM
The trails in LA are very different than the tight, wooded trails in the east. There are effectively no trees there. My experience in the eastern mountains is that there are plenty of things on the trails just waiting to grab you.

gaucho753
11-17-2015, 02:30 PM
Just tuck the shoelaces under your toe-clips. We're all still riding with toe clips, right? ;)

All my clip-in shoes have velcro and/or ratcheting buckles. However, my commuter shoes are an old pair of lace-up Avocet 30s which I love (and do still ride with toe-clips). I'll be sad when I wear them out. There is something to be said for being able to finely adjust the tightness of a shoe up & down the length of the tongue with laces.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab69/gaucho510/IMG_9833_zpsd79bb166.jpg

Serious question: Aren't laces almost always going to be lighter than a typical buckle/strap system?

jmal
11-17-2015, 02:38 PM
Of course we still ride toe clips. And tubulars too. And wool shorts with a leather chamois.

Lovic
11-17-2015, 02:53 PM
I couldn't be happier with my Giro RD Empires that use laces...!!! They broke in extremely fast and I'm able to get the perfect fit every time I re lace.

I've yet to have any issues with them what so ever; getting stuck in pedals, coming undone, etc.

My right foot is also a very different shape than my left and the laces really allow me to place the tongue of the shoe in the perfect spot and lace up around that fitting.

I'd say don't knock it til you tried it!!!

denapista
11-17-2015, 07:03 PM
The trails in LA are very different than the tight, wooded trails in the east. There are effectively no trees there. My experience in the eastern mountains is that there are plenty of things on the trails just waiting to grab you.

Ride Big Bear or Mammoth for a weekend and tell me about the trees or trails carnage.. I raced NORBA DH for a few years and the trees were the hardest obstacles of the courses... Laces are fine. Trust me.. Get a pair and you'll have a smile.. I had the same optimism and I've turned the corner on shoes with laces. So comfy!

redir
11-18-2015, 09:07 AM
I, on the other hand, have never had a problem with Velcro or other methods. I think three velcro straps are as simple as it gets. I can also adjust on the bike, which is not possible with laces. The other thought I have is that laces on a mtb are just another item to snag on trail hazards. Sticks in the woods are enough of a problem without them getting caught on laces. Many of the shoes I have seen do not have a cover over the laces.

Been riding the trails in the mountains of Virginia for 15 years and not once ever got my laces stuck in anything ;)

jmal
11-18-2015, 10:37 AM
Been riding the trails in the mountains of Virginia for 15 years and not once ever got my laces stuck in anything ;)

That's great. I was at Douthat two weeks ago and had my jersey snagged by mountain laurel that had grown over the trail. I've had thorns snag my shoes plenty of times, and if I had laces they would have either come untied or at the very least I would be picking thorns out of the laces. Each person has his own experience. Either way, the thread was just a lighthearted rant about current fashions. And I truly believe that is all it is. It's no coincidence that the shoes with laces also seem to come in a plethora of flashy colors, including limited editions, with contrasting shoe laces colors.

gospastic
11-18-2015, 10:57 AM
I'm pretty sure velcro/ratchet/BOA cycling shoes come in lots of colors too...

redir
11-18-2015, 11:09 AM
That's great. I was at Douthat two weeks ago and had my jersey snagged by mountain laurel that had grown over the trail. I've had thorns snag my shoes plenty of times, and if I had laces they would have either come untied or at the very least I would be picking thorns out of the laces. Each person has his own experience. Either way, the thread was just a lighthearted rant about current fashions. And I truly believe that is all it is. It's no coincidence that the shoes with laces also seem to come in a plethora of flashy colors, including limited editions, with contrasting shoe laces colors.

Yes it's lighthearted... So what are you doing riding through the woods? :)

Douthat is one of the treasures around here.

jmal
11-18-2015, 11:35 AM
Yes it's lighthearted... So what are you doing riding through the woods? :)

Douthat is one of the treasures around here.

I'm taking things very seriously in the woods. No laces and no colors. And, yes, Douthat is amazing. As is the GW. Some of the best riding in the country.

FastforaSlowGuy
11-18-2015, 09:50 PM
My empires are comfortable. Never got wrapped around anything. Never got close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaq
11-21-2015, 04:09 AM
I'm all for velcro & fishing line, but I still enjoy my lace-ups on occasion.

Ronsonic
11-21-2015, 09:15 PM
I have an Ooooold pair of Duegi MTB shoes with laces and a cover. They're real leather and really, really comfy. Perfect for days without mud or rain. And the right one still has a scar from the worst cyclocross remount in all of history.

Laces are fine. Why hurry when you're suiting up.

pff
11-22-2015, 07:43 AM
the laces that come with the empire lace up pretty snugly and I have no fear they'll come undone. Tucking them under the strap and the final cross-lace means there's no flopping or getting stuck in the drive train. I think the laces do a good job of evenly distributing tension on the top of my foot. That said, velcro is pretty good too.

Biggest con of laces - can't adjust on the fly
Biggest pro of laces - supposedly more aero (seems logical)

djg21
11-22-2015, 07:52 AM
For me laces are way better but it's probably due to my freakish feet. I wear a size 14 US and have very thin feet so almost every shoe that has a ratchet mechanism I can buy I run out of clicks and it's too loose. So I always have to glue velcro strips in to beef up the strapping.

Plain Velcro wears out in time and sucks.

With laces just like the laces on my running shoes I can add the perfect amount of pressure to the feet as I lace them up and tie them off. Laces are the best.

Velcro works great if you keep it clean. Close the velcro when you're not wearing the shoes, especially if you have pets, and clean the hook and loop with a pin every now and then. I have a set of D2 shoes that are almost 10 seasons old and the Velcro still works fine.