PDA

View Full Version : Trek Emonda ALR - anyone have one?

fa63
11-15-2015, 06:32 PM
Probably not the best place to ask, as Treks are not the most popular around here, but still thought I would try :)

Any forum members have one? If so, what are your thoughts? The H2 fit works well for me, and the frame/fork is supposed to clear 28 mm tires easily, which is a must for me.

Thanks in advance.

eddief
11-15-2015, 07:21 PM
then if the aluminium was harsh, those tires would probably negate a harsh ride. But maybe they have actually made things size specific and maybe the this aluminum is different than the reputation of old-days aluminum.

fishwhisperer
11-15-2015, 08:42 PM
i don't own one, but a good friend that works at trek lent one to me while i was home in wisconsin this summer and i loved it. i haven't ridden a lot of modern AL frames, but found the bike to be very responsive to power and with the 25mm tubies and carbon hoops it was as about as cushy as i'd expect a race frame to be. my only complaint was that she was a little twitchy sometimes at slower speeds, but i suppose that's not really what it was designed for...

really enjoyed my time with it, and was a little sad to give it back. if the h2 geo fits you well and you're in the market for a go-fast machine, i'd say go for it.

icepick_trotsky
11-15-2015, 09:31 PM
I test rode one, but for modern aluminum no one comes close to Cannondale.

ultraman6970
11-15-2015, 10:09 PM
You cant leave the old derosa aluminum production behind.

fa63
11-16-2015, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the responses so far.

I have been looking at the CAAD12 as well, but the geometry on that is quite a bit more aggressive. Not sure I can make it work without resorting to a large stack of spacers (which I hate). The H2 geometry on the Trek will allow me to run no more than 15 mm of spacers with a -6 degree stem.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2015, 06:30 AM
i don't own one, but a good friend that works at trek lent one to me while i was home in wisconsin this summer and i loved it. i haven't ridden a lot of modern AL frames, but found the bike to be very responsive to power and with the 25mm tubies and carbon hoops it was as about as cushy as i'd expect a race frame to be. my only complaint was that she was a little twitchy sometimes at slower speeds, but i suppose that's not really what it was designed for...

really enjoyed my time with it, and was a little sad to give it back. if the h2 geo fits you well and you're in the market for a go-fast machine, i'd say go for it.

Ok, but how was the bike??

:DSorry, couldn't resist. Ships are 'she', bikes are 'it'...IMHO, of course.

fa63
11-16-2015, 06:35 AM
Haha, I was going to say something about that as well but I passed :)

As far as the twitchy handling goes, the trail on the Emonda frame/fork is 56 mm, which is a bit less than I prefer myself, but like anything I am sure it is something one gets used to pretty quickly.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2015, 06:39 AM
Haha, I was going to say something about that as well but I passed :)

As far as the twitchy handling goes, the trail on the Emonda frame/fork is 56 mm, which is a bit less than I prefer myself, but like anything I am sure it is something one gets used to pretty quickly.

I DO find it interesting that in this age of carbon, carbon everywhere, the 'big 4' are all offering aluminum bikes/frames. When designed and made well, they can be a great ride. The later aluminum Merckx's were great bikes!

TimD
11-16-2015, 08:14 AM
Read a lot of good things about it and thought seriously about buying one. May yet do so.

I'd like a bit more trail also (55 in the 62 & 64 sizes).

fishwhisperer
11-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Ok, but how was the bike??

:DSorry, couldn't resist. Ships are 'she', bikes are 'it'...IMHO, of course.

heh, i guess i left the door wide open on that one. Always tough to tell what's a problem with the bike and what's a problem with the motor ;)

I haven't ridden the latest CAAD, but the Emonda was worlds better than the old CAAD9 I used to own.

ceolwulf
11-16-2015, 02:29 PM
I'd be interested to see how it compares to my Scott Speedster. The Scott is my first modern aluminum bike and I've been very pleasantly surprised by the ride quality.

bbobway
11-17-2015, 10:59 AM
I have an ALR 5, and have been riding it for six months or so. It's a nice light bike, and 28mm tires fit easily. Currently I have Panaracer Gravelking 28mm tires on HED Belgium Plus rims on it. The tires measure 30mm wide and fit the frame and fork with plenty of clearance.

l3mnhead
11-18-2015, 11:11 AM
I've had an ALR 6 since May and think it's a great bike. Compared to my 2012 Supersix (non-Evo), it's super smooth, just as fast, if not faster, and comfortable. It has a solid feel, quiet, and does a great job of soaking up bumps. When I was test riding it, I rode it back to back with an Emonda SL8. I honestly didn't notice much difference. If anything, and maybe it's just me, but the ALR rode smoother.