PDA

View Full Version : Are people still having trouble with Time XC pedals?

Dr Luxurious
11-15-2015, 04:58 PM
There was an problem with the pins backing out...

Anybody know if it has been solved?

old fat man
11-15-2015, 05:32 PM
There was an problem with the pins backing out...

Anybody know if it has been solved?

Nope, because after 15 years with time pedals, I switched to shimano. Haven't looked back

Dr Luxurious
11-15-2015, 06:58 PM
hey, thanks

bcroslin
11-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Same issue here. Total bummer. I have $400 worth of Time pedals that are useless because the pins keep backing out.

My solution is also to replace them with Shimano. Add another $200 to the pile of burning cash.

Ronsonic
11-15-2015, 08:22 PM
My Aliums, many years old and finally coming due for an overhaul, were on a bike that got stolen. The bike was recovered with Bigass BMX pedals on it. So I go shopping for pedals for the first time this decade and those are discontinued and not even available from the usual outlets. So I look at newer Time models and see nothing but much higher prices and complaints of premature failure like these.

I may revert to Shimano. :crap:

Gat64
11-16-2015, 05:41 AM
I put a dab of epoxy on all the pin exit holes to stop the inevitable problem. Seems to be holding up great, drag though that I have to modify an expensive pedal right out of the box.

old fat man
11-16-2015, 06:53 AM
Honestly, the bigger deal breaker for me was the new (as of 6 or 8 years ago) shape of the bars on the Time pedals. When they stopped using round bars, the feel when clipped in changed, not for the better ATMA.

I wouldn't say I love the Shimano, but they have been durable and inexpensive

chiasticon
11-16-2015, 07:12 AM
I've had two sets of xc 8's that I got last winter, used through the spring, and then ever since early august. didn't know of this issue, but I'm certainly gonna check out my pedals when I get home tonight. a search over to mtbr says that applying loctite to the pins should fix the issue though. we'll see...

the only issues I have had were once the bearing cover came unscrewed a bit and the pedal started wiggling back/forth. I screwed it in and it's been fine since then. and there's squeaking sometimes, but it's totally random as to when it occurs and may just be when I have crud on my shoe or something.

Pastashop
11-16-2015, 08:28 AM
My Aliums, many years old and finally coming due for an overhaul, were on a bike that got stolen. The bike was recovered with Bigass BMX pedals on it. So I go shopping for pedals for the first time this decade and those are discontinued and not even available from the usual outlets. So I look at newer Time models and see nothing but much higher prices and complaints of premature failure like these.

I may revert to Shimano. :crap:

Aliums pop up not infrequently in the classifieds here and on the 'bay, in decent shape and for not a lot of scratch. I've got 2 sets like that. But the PD858 from Shimano are pretty good too, as are the Ritchey analogues.

I'm still using Time Impacts for the road, and they're very nice and versatile. I pick up a pair in decent used condition from time to time on the cheap. :-)

(The real problem in all this is having multiple bikes and the headache that comes along with "needing" to maintain them in working order -- multiple sets of pedals, etc.)