PDA

View Full Version : Boulder, Moots Routt, fat tires, and dirt

velotel
11-15-2015, 03:35 PM
Spent a week stateside, in Boulder, (Colorado if you don't know where Boulder is) to celebrate my son's birthday. He came over in April for mine so doing his seemed like a great idea. It was. Had five consecutive days of following him around. Boulder riding is amazing, not the Alps but wonderfully entertaining and diverse. But, if you want the best of Boulder, you've got to do the area's dirt roads and trails with a road bike. Outrageously good fun.

First two days I rode a Moots that Jim Potter of Vecchio's fame sent me out on. He knows I ride an Eriksen so figured a Vamoots would work well for me. Felt pretty much like my Eriksen except the Vamoots is a production bike and the fit wasn't exactly correct. Rode nicely anyway and I was happy on it. Did a combination of paved and dirt roads, maybe more brown than black. Set-up was Campy compact with a 36/50 instead of the 34/50 I use so more work on the steep hills. Boulder's got lots of those. A good riding bike though I didn't find it nearly as sharp in downhills as my Eriksen. Maybe the fit.

Then Mat, my son, said time for me to ride the Routt, Moots gravel bike. I said no need, the Vamoots was fine. I mean I have zero problem riding skinny tires on dirt and have never seen a need for disc brakes. The Routt had disc brakes. Also a Shimano drive train, Ultegra I think, compact, 36/50 but in back I think Jim said the big cog was a 28. Tires were 700x33 Clement MXP clinchers, complete with knobs! Mat said try it, you'll like it. So pulled my pedals off the Vamoots, put them on the Routt.

Next day was my son's big birthday ride. With lots of dirt. The dirt roads around Boulder are super smooth and fast so of course as we're heading out, me following a string of strong riders behind my son, I'm thinking these fat knobbies are going to be overkill and no doubt slow to add insult to injury. Naturally all Mat's buddies, except Jim of course who was there too, are looking at the bike I'm on and going on about how they'd really like to have one of those. Didn't take long to find out why.

The ride's magic, simple as that. Not the bike's, the tires? Don't get me wrong, the bike's terrific, the more I rode it, the more I enjoyed it. The fit was just about perfect unlike that of the Vamoots. The two bikes were both 58's but with some subtle changes in their geometries that made a difference. Like the Routt having half a degree slacker head angle, longer head tube, more rake, nothing dramatic, just subtle changes but just enough that my position on the Routt (that's the name of the county Steamboat is in) was spot-on whereas on the Vamoots I never found that dialed-in, one-with-the-bike feel. The Routt loved to be ridden with the hands in the drops. I probably spent 75% or more of my time there. I like riding in the drops so the Routt found a warm spot in my heart with that alone.

The disc brakes were okay too; they did exactly what I expect brakes to do, slow me down, stop the bike. The brakes on my Eriksen are Record. I like them. They always do everything I ask of them, they do it smoothly and easily, and I only use one finger on the levers. All that was also true of the disc brakes. They were as good as the Campy brakes, no question, but never produced one of those wow! moments. I got used to them quickly enough then pretty much didn't give them another thought. They did what they were supposed to do. That was enough. Actually we did spend some time on snow and ice-covered trails and I suspect the discs worked better than caliper brakes would have worked but I don't spend much time on snow and ice so any points they scored there weren't of great importance. And to be honest I'd really need to ride the brakes back to back to truly know the differences between them.

Can't say that I ever developed a warm feeling for the Ultegra drivetrain. Front derailler shifted quite well but the back always left me disappointed. Actually I think it was the shifter, not the derailler itself, that was the problem. I always felt like there was a disconnect between the lever and derailler's movement, lag time that was constantly annoying. With the Campy drivetrain I feel like my fingers are directly connected to the derailler. Move the lever and I can feel the derailler moving. That touch is so intimate that I can decide exactly how many cogs I want to move across. I like that. I also prefer Campy's one lever, one action concept though I must admit I started liking being able to brake and shift up a cog at the same time. But I hated not being able to shift down several cogs in one movement. That drove me nuts. I suppose that it's just a question of what we're used to because in fact the Ultegra drivetrain did everything I needed it to do. Just didn't do it in the style that I'm used to and like. This was the longest I've ever used Shimano so it was kind of interesting and in the end had no influence on my reaction to the Routt.

What totally made the bike were the tires! They transformed what riding a road bike can be all about. First time on the Routt we headed out of town on pavement, heading to the mountains. The tires knobs made this funny pattering noise but they definitely didn't feel any slower than my Paves for example. They probably are slower but the only way I could definitely say that's the case would be to ride the bike with the knobbies then go back and ride the same roads with skinny tires. Anyway all the way out of town I'm having a ball on these fat, pattering tires. Then Mat turns off and dives onto a single-track. A real single-track, dirt, tight, twisting and diving down the slope then across fields of grasses and brush. I'm in the drops, pressing the front down, the tires are biting and carving turns like they're on rails and I'm laughing like a kid just released from school. We hit a short climb, out of the saddle, put the power down, the back tire digging in, the bike shooting up the grade. Just friggin outrageous. Went like that all day. We rode everything, single-tracks, dirt roads (buffed of course and fast), rough-track with rocks and ledges and delicate line picking with snow and ice to keep things interesting, roads covered with a sort of red, small diameter gravel, and of course blacktop. The pavement was at the end, a fast plunge back to Boulder on a good road with lots of sweeping turns. This was the only place the tires lost their mojo. I dove into a hard sweeper to the right and the tires just kind of said, whoa, little too tight there buddy, we're going to just drift off to the outside instead. So then I went okay, that's how it is, just ride accordingly, let them do their lazy bit then press down and force them through and with that the rest of the plunge was good. Not great, but good.

Oh yea, forgot to mention I was running them soft, not sure how soft, just thumb pressing soft, and they sucked up bumps and cracks and sticks and stones like crazy. I mean I'm talking one smooth ride. So between their performance in the dirt and rocks and snow and their super smoothness everywhere, their lack of major carving power on blacktop in a plunge wasn't so much a fault as a condition. Then Mat wanted me to try out some fat Panaracers, don't know what model, 700x33 or something like that, maybe 32. They looked fatter than the Clements. Not knobby like the Clements, just subtle knobs in the center. Once I got the pressure right, they rode well. Again I don't know what pressure since I think I stopped three times early in the ride to let air out. Third time was the trick and from there on they were excellent. Did everything the Clements did except the pattering on pavement. But, and again this is based purely on a feeling with no follow-up by really comparing the tires, I think the Clements might have been a bit better than the Panaracers in places like a dodging back and forth single track. The Clements loved digging and carving through turns in the dirt.

So that's it for whatever it's worth, my take on a gravel bike, disc brakes, Ultegra, and fat road tires. I can think of all kinds of cool places for a bike like that, but without the disc brakes, those I just don't see. I've ridden some pretty crazy rock roads with my skinnier tires and had a blast but I can see now that I'd have even more fun, and ride way faster, with those fat road tires. I also don't see any need for fatter tires than the ones I rode. Fatter than that and it seems to me a person might as well just ride a full-on mountain bike. These fat road tires expand what we can ride with what remains a pure road bike, just one with more tire clearance and maybe a wee bit softer front end for the rough stuff, which is what that ever so slightly shallower head angle and rake difference do, soften the front end. I suppose there might be a wee bit of quickness lost but if there is, I didn't notice.

I had so much fun on that bike that I'm thinking I need to do what Kent's been telling me for a long time, have him build me a gravel bike (have to say I hate that name but that seems to be its official name so...), but without disc brakes. Which of course raises the problem of what brakes to use and what fork. Then again might not be a problem because that isn't going to happen in the immediate future which leaves time for other options for brakes (like the Campy direct mount brakes or whatever they're called that will apparently arrive in the near future) and a fork to come on-line. I suspect I'll also opt for a triple. Those Clement tires work so well that I can see them or something similar taking me onto some pretty steep, gnarly roads where low gearing will be needed. Definitely a bike for expanding one's riding horizon.

Like I said back at the beginning, the riding around Boulder is amazing, in fact good enough to even plan a trip there if you can get there by car instead of having to fly. It's not the Alps obviously but great fun with all the challenge you could hope for. You want steepness? Holy smokes Boulder has that in spades! But what really rings all the bells for Boulder is the dirt riding. My last ride with Mat covered around 80K, a huge loop out from Boulder then circling way to the east then north and finally back to town. We rode everything in that loop. Started out on the Boulder city bike paths, a phenomenal system of beautiful concrete paths linking all parts of town and never a road to cross. There's always an underpass or overpass. After that a mix of roads to out near Eldorado Springs where Mat led me onto a crazy fun single-track. Then some dirt roads then more trails as I recall. Finally arrived at a bridge over the autoroute between Boulder and Denver and on the far end of that, we took an elevator down to ground level. Perfect! I mean how often does one do a ride that includes one section in an elevator. Still have to laugh over that. And yea, we could have walked down the stairs with our bikes but one look at the elevator and I knew that's what I had to do.

Then we smoked a bunch of crazy fun dirt roads and double-tracks out east of town that included some steep climbs that had me working like a dog to get up. But fun climbs I should add, especially with the fat tires, which in that ride were the Panaracers. After that the sun was getting low so we pretty much high-balled back into town on roads, but only one section with traffic to speak of, until hitting the bike paths again. Just an outrageous ride.

So yea, if you're thinking of going to Boulder, do it, with bike in hand. Even better, with a fat tired road bike in hand. And if you don't have one, go see Jim at Vecchio's. Damned good rider too, he knows of what he talks. Cool shop too.

A few pics from the rides around there, including one that's a map showing all the rides Mat and I did. He's a Strava guy so all the rides are registered and mapped. Enjoy.

cloudguy
11-15-2015, 08:00 PM
Glad you to hear you had a good time. I've always wondered how the riding out here in Boulder compares to that in France - can you further explain the differences, as far as paved roads go, in terms of distance, steepness, etc? Also, I think I recognized some of those dirt sections in the pics, but the last one with the snow looked like something I'd never attempt on a road bike. Did the guy in that pic make it up without putting his foot down or falling over?

Ken Robb
11-15-2015, 08:19 PM
I just put the 700x30 cross tires back on my Hampsten/MOOTS Strada Bianca and had a similar surprise how well they work on pavement too.

jghall
11-15-2015, 08:22 PM
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great time, especially spending time with your son.

sparky33
11-16-2015, 09:13 AM
I just put the 700x30 cross tires back on my Hampsten/MOOTS Strada Bianca and had a similar surprise how well they work on pavement too.

Ditto.
A proper 33 cross tire fits under most long-mid calipers. A Strada Biance type of bike can do most things with the right tires.

Thanks for the write up H. Excellent reading as always.

p nut
11-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Fun read. I have relatives in Loveland, so will have to take my bike with me the next time I go.

700x33's are nice size tires. But don't count out even fatter tires like Rock n Road (43) or Cazaderos (42). Lots of fun with those tires as well.

Repack Rider
11-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Very amusing report!

It brings back many memories. I have spent a lot of time in Boulder, lived there during my first summer as a cyclist (1970) while my girlfriend worked in Nederland, rode up the canyon many times.

Worked a concert in 1969 at the football stadium with The Byrds, Steve Miller Band and Buddy Guy, one of the best shows I ever took part in. Spent the winter of 1977 at Caribou Ranch in Nederland while the band I roadied for recorded an album and I went skiing every day at Eldora.

I worked at the 1982 Coors Classic in Boulder.

The 1984 NORBA Nationals were at Lake Eldora.

We would love to get you out to our part of the world. Too bad you can't join us for the big annual event here, the Thanksgiving Day Appetite Seminar (http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/seminar.htm), which brings about a thousand mountain bikers to Fairfax.

Just sayin'.

velotel
11-16-2015, 04:05 PM
Glad you to hear you had a good time. I've always wondered how the riding out here in Boulder compares to that in France - can you further explain the differences, as far as paved roads go, in terms of distance, steepness, etc? Also, I think I recognized some of those dirt sections in the pics, but the last one with the snow looked like something I'd never attempt on a road bike. Did the guy in that pic make it up without putting his foot down or falling over?
Well, distances are whatever you want to do. What really is different is the scale of things here. Vertically a 1000 meters of climbing is pretty normal for an average ride, in fact climbs like that are pretty much ubiquitous. Bigger climbs are anywhere from 1500 to 2000 meters of up and that's just a single climb. Rides usually involve more than a single climb so it's not at all unusual to do rides with 2000 plus meters of climbing.

Grades are necessarily any steeper than what you can find in the states; the place for steepness is Italy, also Spain. But what is different is how sustained the steepness can be. Like Col du Sabot, 1300 vertical, average grade 9%, Colle della Finestre, 1700 vertical averaging over 9%.

Biggest differences are the concentration of climbs and roads. Bourg d'Oisans, small town with half a dozen major rides right out of town. It's crazy how many paved roads there are. In all of France there's something like 1,400,000 kilometres of paved secondary roads. And the country's relatively small. The other thing is the roads people ride and the roads up most of the cols are small, often a lane and a half wide, sometimes less. Two full lanes like in the states are rare, really only on ski area roads that have to handle buses and trucks and tons of cars, like the road to Alpe d'Huez. Roads cut into cliff faces are run of the mill here. Guard rails are optional.

The Alps are young mountains, still growing apparently. The Rockies are old and worn. Here they're steep and more often than not a world of rock, snow, and ice. Timberline is low. Obviously all of that heavily influences the roads. Plus here lots of the mountain roads are usually just the ancient walking and ox paths that evolved over the centuries to what they are today.

In other words the environment in the Alps is completely different from Colorado's. But for someone who wants to ride the Alps, Boulder is a great training ground.

I've forgotten the name of that road/trail you asked about. Mat told me it's one of Andy Hampsten's favourites; he likes to take road riders there and blow their minds, or rather open their minds to what can be ridden with a road bike, and especially a bike like his strada bianca I think it's called. The guy in the lead didn't clean that but my son who was right behind him did. I didn't even try. Probably would have given it a go if I'd been using SPD pedals but with road pedals and shoes, I didn't want to take a chance on falling over, which probably would have happened. At my age hitting the deck is not advised.

velotel
11-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Very amusing report!

It brings back many memories. I have spent a lot of time in Boulder, lived there during my first summer as a cyclist (1970) while my girlfriend worked in Nederland, rode up the canyon many times.

Worked a concert in 1969 at the football stadium with The Byrds, Steve Miller Band and Buddy Guy, one of the best shows I ever took part in. Spent the winter of 1977 at Caribou Ranch in Nederland while the band I roadied for recorded an album and I went skiing every day at Eldora.

I worked at the 1982 Coors Classic in Boulder.

The 1984 NORBA Nationals were at Lake Eldora.

We would love to get you out to our part of the world. Too bad you can't join us for the big annual event here, the Thanksgiving Day Appetite Seminar (http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/seminar.htm), which brings about a thousand mountain bikers to Fairfax.

Just sayin'.
Maybe I'll get out there next year. I'd like to, riding Tam and Marin with a road bike could be the good time. Actually I know it would be the good time. I suspect I could find a couple people to join me.

thwart
11-16-2015, 05:46 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun!

Wider tires are definitely the way to go.

teleguy57
11-17-2015, 08:50 PM
Wonderful post, and I'm glad your trip with your son was great. I've ridden the pavement in that area, and this sure gets me drooling about the dirt.

And dang, it's making me think again about a "gravel bike" (grimace). I've pretended that I can ride a lot of stuff on 28mm tubs, and I do, but maybe going with fatter tires on a road-style vs CX-based frame makes sense.

Ok, I admit it, I even have a short list of builders on file. But I'm stuck with the disc/med-reach internal debate that I have to resolve -- and this thread doesn't help:)

mateobarlito
11-18-2015, 08:54 AM
Glad you had fun daddio. Like I said, after all the crazy amazing rides you take me on over there I have to really pull out all the stops to try and impress you over here. Not the Alps, but not bad in it's own right. And for those asking about the differences in riding between the two places, my two cents are that the Alps are an unbelievable dream, a total fantasy land. It's almost too amazing.

Boulder, especially if you come in the spring or early summer, is fairly awesome too. What it lacks in crazy alpine scenery, tiny empty roads, and charming euro culture, it makes up for with a bunch of great climbs straight out of town, the smoothest dirt road riding you've ever seen, friendly laid back Colorado culture, and one of the best food scenes in the country. Plus we have Mexican food, which Hank was particularly excited about during his visit. And other legal... things...

But I digress. When it comes right down to it, I'd for sure plan a once-in-a-lifetime riding trip to the Alps over Boulder, but for a place to live and ride all the time, Boulder is hard to beat. And as my dad said, it makes a fantastic place to train for trips to the Alps. If you enjoy climbing, Boulder, like the Alps, is a place where you can easily put together 3000 meter days right out of town. But the altitude is what changes the game. Starting in Boulder you're already at an altitude that would put you near timberline on most climbs in the Alps, and you'll spend the whole day going up from there.

In comparison, most riding in France has me reveling in all that extra oxygen. So, in a strange way, the riding in Boulder seems to make the riding in France even better. The altitudes are lower, the grades, in my opinion, seem to be generally less steep (but again, maybe that's the altitude talking), and there is always some visual feast to keep your mind off the effort. Looking up at some hulking glacier pouring off the top of a jagged peak, or over at some beautifully renovated 14th century chateau, or riding through some tiny quaint little village of hand-built wooden chalets topped with slate roofs.... they all tend to take your mind off the difficulty of the climb.

I mean, every ride I do in France I spend the first hour and a half in some sort of semi-conscious state of bliss where all I can do is shout about how beautiful everything is. Then, ineveitably, I'll look down at the computer and wonder how we've already ridden 90 minutes and climbed 1000 meters when all I remember is effortless pedaling through a fantasy land.

Boulder riding, for all it's merits, rarely feels quite like that. But at least I know that here, when we're done riding, there will be tacos and margs, available at a variety of friendly restaurants, who are happy to serve you at almost any time of the day, 7 days a week. Try finding that in the Alps!