PDA

View Full Version : Bike shop recommendations central NJ / Princeton?

Mike748
11-15-2015, 02:15 PM
My daughter had a run in with a car yesterday cycling in Princeton. I want her to have the bike (Serotta / Campy) checked out, I'm afraid the fork will have hidden damage - she ran into the side of a car that turned left in front of her. She seems to be ok so far.

Does anyone have a favorite bike shop in that area? Any experience with Kopps in Princeton? They are a Campy Pro shop according to their website and are in walking distance for her.

Mike748
11-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Duh, I meant to put this in the discussion forum.

Vonruden
11-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Halters is a great shop near Princeton.

Hank Scorpio
11-15-2015, 05:28 PM
Wheelfine in Lambertville is the place to go for all things campy.

ldamelio
11-15-2015, 05:53 PM
There are many good shops in the area, but Mike Johnson at Wheelfine in Lambertville is the mensch for this type of thing. Kopps is the oldest shop in the country and has a rich history but it jumped the shark a decade or more ago. The rest (Halters, Knapps, Pure Energy) are all great shops that sell/maintain current mainstream stuff and support the sport, but for anything mechanical and difficult/important/or Campy, Wheelfine is the go to on the Jersey side of the river. If she's in Princeton proper, it's only a 15 minute drive. Avoid Jay's in Princeton - mass market crap seller and flat fixer for the college kids. Probably never seen a Campy bike there.

wheelfineimports.com is the website.

Mike748
11-15-2015, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys that helps a lot. And thanks moderator for moving this to the right forum.

Pastashop
11-15-2015, 08:41 PM
Another vote for Wheelfine! Glad she's ok!

Wolfman
11-15-2015, 10:52 PM
Crazy... I'm in LA, but have been to Wheelfine several times before when the in-laws used to live in Somerville... it's definitely the place if your worried about quality kit with potential hidden damage.

Mike748
11-16-2015, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys. She talked to Wheelfine, they were helpful on the phone, and she will hopefully take it there tomorrow.

At a minimum the left ergolever body is cracked (very cracked, but I have spares) and we found some cracking in the paint on the head tube at the head tube - top tube joint. That is not good.

BTW, its a steel Fierte / S3 fork that I bought for her NOS last year.

I'm sure the carbon steerer tube on the fork is toast. Hopefully the frame will survive as I can't just pop to the store and buy another one and the Fierte 52S geometry fits her very well.

Avincent52
11-16-2015, 08:48 PM
FWIW, Cyclesport in Park Ridge NJ was a major Serotta dealer (and literally the first Serotta dealer ever)
It's probably an hour's drive from Princeton, but if you're not sure about the integrity of the frame, it might be worth it.

Hank Scorpio
11-16-2015, 08:57 PM
I had a very poor experience at Cyclesport with a Cannondale lefty fork and wouldn't recommend them to anyone plus as you said they are about 1.5 hours each way.

Michael will take care of your daughter's problems like professional should. He is extremely personable and has campy knowledge on par with anyone.

Aaron O
11-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Kopps is in Princeton...first rate shop.

Wheelfine is also well worth a visit.

SPOKE
11-16-2015, 11:36 PM
Another vote for CycleSport in Park Ridge. Mike Grotz runs a great shop!