PDA

View Full Version : Modolo Venus Handlebars, Thanks Serotta Andrew

mwos
05-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Yesterday, I had the Modolo Venus handlebars recommended by Serotta Andrew in my thread "Handlebars for small hands" installed on my bike. Many good recommendations were made and I checked them all out, I think. However, my choices were limited because I need 34 cm. The closest was the Salsa bar but I didn't like the "bump" in the drop.

Today, I did a 35 mile ride and I am very impressed with these bars. Technically, I can't say whats good about them like the reviews on roadbikereview but I can say I like them because they fit me, my arms are no longer curved in a c position and my hands don't have to bend inward to reach the brifters. The bars look proportionally better on my small bike and I can reach the brake levers from the drops more effectively. Actually, my braking is stronger from the hoods too. Handling of the bike is more precise and I'm more centered as the bars bring the brifters in closer to me. I did have to learn new hand positions as I immediately started to put pressure on the nerves in my hands.

Anyway, thanks for all the recommedations on bars and especially to Serotta Andrew for pointing out the Venus bars.

Kathi

Rapid Tourist
05-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Kathi,

I have these bars in a box waiting to be mounted to a new bike I am awaiting. So, thanks for the review, I can't wait to try mine.

What bars are you switching from?? I will be switching from Salsa poco bars so I'm wondering if I will notice as much difference as you. Thanks. :)

Tailwinds
05-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Kathi, did you put the new bars on your Ottrott? I am sure if you got your new bike early, you'd be telling us all about it, right?! Aren't you supposed to get it around the first of June? You must be in total suspense at this point.

mwos
05-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Tailwinds, the Ottrott is not here yet but I thought I'd try Venus bars on the Aegis so I knew what I wanted for the Ottrott. Today I climbed Montezuma road outside of Keystone, and on the way down I realized how the bars really do help with reach. I was able to grasp the levers with 3 fingers, let go when I wanted, grasp them when I needed. No death grip on the levers afraid if I let go of them I wouldn't be able to reach them again. That is a big accomplishment for me!

RapidTourist, I switched from a 38 cm Deda 4 Girls, which I thought was small when I bought it 4 years ago but it's big compared to this bar. I lived in Cincinnati and didn't need to brake from the drops, so I didn't give bars much thought until I moved here.

Anyway, they accomplished what I wanted, reaching the levers from the drops. They are very comfortable, but I don't know if that is due to better fit or the design of the bar.

Kathi

mwos
05-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Tailwinds, I feel a little conflicted about the Ottrott. My Ortho won't let me use clipless pedals, at least until I see him on June 5. If the Ottrott came now I'd have to have it fit for the platform pedals, then refit when I go back to clipless.
So in some ways its better to wait but on the other hand, I can't wait to see it!

Also, I'm still trying to get my strength back from the knee surgery. It's a slow process.

Kathi

manet
05-25-2006, 07:41 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodesy/trans/images/lockergirls.jpg

Smiley
05-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Manet , your the marcel marso of posters , man your pictures are worth 1000 words , We love U dude , glad people finally saw your face at Nottrott 2006

manet
05-25-2006, 08:23 PM
... glad people finally saw your face at Nottrott 2006

http://www.khmerkromrecipes.com/photo_recipes/mayonnaise.jpg

Rapid Tourist
05-26-2006, 08:15 AM
I miss csb imho. What happened to that cooky dude?

Smiley
05-26-2006, 08:38 AM
csb got deleted off the hard drive , never to be recovered again :)