PDA

View Full Version : Rochester, MN

scrubadub
11-14-2015, 11:50 PM
Anybody familiar with or from Rochester, MN?

The family and I are moving there for 1 year. The actual move doesn't happen for another 8 months but I figured I'd throw out some questions.

- How much of the year realistically can I bike commute? I'm a Californian but lived a bit in New England so I don't mind riding through the New England winter but I'm told Minnesota is just a wee bit colder. :eek: Also, what's the bike parking like (ie are there bike cages, lockers, etc.) around the Mayo Clinic?

- What's the riding like in the area? I see the Almanzo 100 is nearby so I'll probably bring a gravel bike along with a road bike. Mountain biking? Triathlons?

- Which bike shop and group rides? I'm mostly on Campy so some familiarity would be nice.

- Any other tips?

Thanks!

paulh
11-15-2015, 07:33 AM
You could start here.
http://www.rasc-mn.org

Yes, it would be colder, in general. But a lot of variable weather. 85 on St. Patricks Day. 15 inches of snow on May 2nd. 25 below zero. 110 heat index with the higher dew points.

If you're a hard core commuter with good clothes, maybe 9 months possible. Really nice county road riding.

But, get ready for the WIND!!
4th windiest place in the US on some lists. But it makes you stronger.:cool:

earlfoss
11-15-2015, 08:17 AM
I lived in Austin, MN which was just up the road and rode all over the southeastern part of MN. Was there for 6 years. The wind is brutal. Really brutal. That area in general isn't the most beautiful or exciting to ride in. Once out in the country, lots of straight, long roads.

There is some great riding just south in Lanesboro, MN. That place has a little more interesting topography to it. Lots of paved trails and roads that wind up and down the little valleys.

PM me if you want a little more information.

gomango
11-15-2015, 08:34 AM
Pm me for info. :)

I live in St. Paul. Our group rides weekly in the area between the Twin Cities all the way south to Spring Valley/Lanesboro. That includes the Rochester area.

Rochester is about an hour away from the TC area and we are loaded with quality shops.

Easy drive up here on Highway 52.

paulh
11-15-2015, 08:54 AM
Rochester Cycling and Fitness, Bicycles Sports for local shops. Just to the east and you're in the Whitewater Valley, getting close to the Mississippi. You can find some 1.5 mile hills.

Those Mpls.-St. Paul people have no idea what wind is. Easy drive away yes, but they have no idea.

saab2000
11-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Can't speak about Rochester itself but I went to college in Northfield, MN and found the riding OK.

Those who speak of wind speak correctly. It's windy.

To the east is Wisconsin and western Wisconsin has some of the best riding you'll ever see. No joke. It's fantastic. Minnesota has more gravel roads and that's not a bad thing, but something to be aware of.

The Twin Cities has, in my opinion, the best urban riding in the US though I certainly haven't ridden in all the major areas. It's very good though and the riding to the south and east of the Twin Cities is quite good.

I don't know that you'll like it but if you keep an open mind it can be a pretty decent place to ride. You may end up loving it.

Winters are colder than New England, but not that much colder. If you bundle up you can ride through Thanksgiving and you can often start on the rural roads by March. Basically, with some exceptions, there are about 3 months that are just out for riding and another 2 months on either end that can test your patience.

Of course, if you have a fat bike you can ride year round. I'd be surprised if there are MTB riders and fat bike riders who get out for winter rides in December and January.

paulh
11-15-2015, 09:03 AM
I'd be surprised if there are MTB riders and fat bike riders who get out for winter rides in December and January.

Surprise, there are a lot of them. Fat bikes on the trails, at night, with lights. Mtn bikes and all on the roads when the snow is cleared. There is no bad weather, just poor clothing decisions.

saab2000
11-15-2015, 09:08 AM
Surprise, there are a lot of them. Fat bikes on the trails, at night, with lights. Mtn bikes and all on the roads when the snow is cleared. There is no bad weather, just poor clothing decisions.

I meant to say I'd be surprised if there aren't... Thanks for the correction! When I lived in MI there were lots of winter riders. If (when) I move back to the Midwest I'm joining for the winter night rides.

gomango
11-15-2015, 09:23 AM
Rochester Cycling and Fitness, Bicycles Sports for local shops. Just to the east and you're in the Whitewater Valley, getting close to the Mississippi. You can find some 1.5 mile hills.

Those Mpls.-St. Paul people have no idea what wind is. Easy drive away yes, but they have no idea.

Actually some of us do. :)

Our family has land in the Cannon Falls area and we ride there routinely. All 4 seasons.

FWIW There is a reason there are so many wind farms popping up in the southern part of the state and northern Iowa.

Some of us even invest in them. :)

As for riding year around in Minnesota, it's all about the clothes.

We did a 60+ mile ride last January and it was a blast.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8670/16163726366_a84ace6e20_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qCkjHm)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/qCkjHm) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

commonguy001
11-15-2015, 09:25 AM
East and just a bit north of Rochester has some great gravel riding.
Drew Wilson who organizes the Dickie Scramble is from Rochester and would be one to check in with regarding road riding in the area.

I spend quite a bit of time camping in the White Water River area and find the riding there outstanding as long as you don't mind venturing off the paved roads.

If you're into winter riding we have plenty of that. I'd actually say the number of fat bikes is getting to the point of an annoyance as the size of the groups that ride is nearly unmanageable (my opinion only) on the trails in the city. I guess I just like riding and having groups of 30-50 stopping to group up every 5 miles gets old when you want to get through.

I don't have much experience IN Rochester other than to say I know where a couple of coffee shops are.

Good luck, hopefully your year is enjoyable :beer:

biker72
11-15-2015, 09:36 AM
The Twin Cities has, in my opinion, the best urban riding in the US though I certainly haven't ridden in all the major areas. It's very good though and the riding to the south and east of the Twin Cities is quite good.

I don't know that you'll like it but if you keep an open mind it can be a pretty decent place to ride. You may end up loving it.

+100
I've driven from Dallas to Minneapolis a couple of times just to ride the bike trails. I haven't been to St. Paul yet but looking forward to it. This area is a bicycling mecca.

scrubadub
11-15-2015, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all the advice and painting a picture of the area. I'm excited for next year because while my fellowship will be pretty busy, I get more weekends off than I do now.

I was really impressed with the infrastructure in the Twin Cities and thought long and hard about fellowship there but ultimately decided on Rochester. It'll be cold no matter what! I may have to look into a fat bike (n+1)...

Are you all riding studded tires in the winter? I really enjoy riding in the winter as it's so calm and peaceful out. Or at least it was that way in New England as all the pesky drivers stayed at home.

For all the PM offers, I'll be in touch as we get closer to the move date!

scrubadub
11-15-2015, 02:53 PM
At the risk of having this veer off towards a winter clothing thread, what are some of your favorite pieces of clothing? The heaviest winter jacket I have is a soft shell and some heavy tights from Lou at Foxwear that were fine for New England in the mid-20s. I have a Rapha Pro Team which has worked well in the Bay Area for the 40s.

I will definitely be checking out Bar Mitts as my current gloves (XC ski gloves with over mitts) were ok but not great in the 30s. Also probably Lake winter shoes.

I figure I'll keep my eyes out for stuff on sale in the spring. Maybe one of those Assos jackets?