PDA

View Full Version : Rival CL 40 carbon clinchers

gasman
11-14-2015, 03:44 PM
Anybody have experience with these wheels ? Roval that is , not Rival.
I have a chance to get some pull-offs for a song. One of the wrenches at my LBS has a set and loves them. Stiff, roll well and brake well but of course not in the rain. I'll only be riding these on non-rain days. For Orygun that's like 3 weeks a year.

Hubs-DT Swiss 350

Spokes - DT Swiss straight pull

Rims-Specialized 40mm. Not sure who makes them for Specialized but they seem well made.

Thoughts from the gallery ?

Tickdoc
11-14-2015, 05:17 PM
my buddy has em. They are loud. Not sure what hubs, but they are loud enough that when he creeps up on me, I think a car is behind me. Granted, my ears are no good. Other than that, I'd say they are great!

gasman
11-14-2015, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. Loud could get very annoying but man the price is right.

rnhood
11-14-2015, 06:20 PM
Go for them. I believe the only difference between the CL and CLX is that the CLX has ceramic bearings (not a big deal), and maybe a different spoke but I'm not sure about this. It may only be the bearings that different. They are excellent wheels and have a good reputation. Just keep in mind though, that Specialized is funny with some things, and they may not provide a warranty to the second owner. But if you're getting them at bargain basement prices, I think you're far better off with these than the typical Chinese carbon wheels.

gasman
11-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Thanks RNhood
The big difference I do think is the hubs, not ceramic but not big deal. I'm getting them from my LBS who is a Specialized dealer so warranty shouldn't be an issue.

Hank Scorpio
11-15-2015, 05:32 AM
I have the CLX 60 and they aren't that loud to me. Certainly no louder than the SRAM hollow cassette on a friends bike. I did recently have a problem with mine though the high heat epoxy that they put on the brake track looks like it overheated in places and had a few cracks in it. I had my local dealer show it to the rep and he said it was fine. I don't really trust his opinion so I have hung them up. When I called specialized before showing the rep they seemed to think it was an issue but needed a rep to inspect them first before they would take action. I used mine with the SS black prince pads and was weighing about 200lb this summer.

gasman
11-15-2015, 09:48 AM
I have the CLX 60 and they aren't that loud to me. Certainly no louder than the SRAM hollow cassette on a friends bike. I did recently have a problem with mine though the high heat epoxy that they put on the brake track looks like it overheated in places and had a few cracks in it. I had my local dealer show it to the rep and he said it was fine. I don't really trust his opinion so I have hung them up. When I called specialized before showing the rep they seemed to think it was an issue but needed a rep to inspect them first before they would take action. I used mine with the SS black prince pads and was weighing about 200lb this summer.

The braking surface is what I worry about with any full carbon rim. My LBS says they haven't seen a problem but they don't sell many Roval wheels. They have more experience with Rolf Prima wheels since they are made in town. Rolf makes great wheels but they also occasionally have issues.
I appreciate your feedback. It may be different for me as I'm skinny.

rnhood
11-15-2015, 11:34 AM

Rather than "hang up" wheels of that caliber, why not ask your dealer to ship them to Specialized for evaluation? You deserve to be comfortable with a response on these wheels. I am not familiar with black prince pads as I've only used cork type pads on carbon wheels - which have always been great - except a bit off the mark when raining (very wet).

shovelhd
11-15-2015, 02:22 PM
The Black Prince are the best carbon rim pad that I have used, hands down, in both wet and dry. They do shed, though.

gasman
11-15-2015, 02:42 PM
The Black Prince are the best carbon rim pad that I have used, hands down, in both wet and dry. They do shed, though.

Thanks for your expert advice !!

CiclistiCliff
11-16-2015, 01:31 AM
Thanks for your expert advice !!

If the the Rovals are coming with the 18t ratchet, switching out to the 36t ratchet will quiet them down. Servicing them, which is very simple and requires no tools, will help if the ratchet hasn't been cleaned and greased in a while.

gasman
11-16-2015, 08:10 AM
If the the Rovals are coming with the 18t ratchet, switching out to the 36t ratchet will quiet them down. Servicing them, which is very simple and requires no tools, will help if the ratchet hasn't been cleaned and greased in a while.

Cool.
Don't know what ratchet they come equipped with but they are brand new with zero miles so I won't have to think about service for a while.

AngryScientist
11-16-2015, 08:29 AM
DT swiss hubs only get loud when they get dry, for information.

when they start to get loud, i clean all of the grease off the ratchets and get them nice and clean. i then use hypoid gear oil, which quiets them right down, reduces wear and lasts a long time if the seals are intact.

i've used these pics before, but here's what's inside DT hubs:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-T5Q1SrP_QwY/VPsWVy4bfMI/AAAAAAAAB9k/Uzxvs2dJCBw/s800/IMG_0580.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iY8Nfsdbs90/VPsWVsUDb0I/AAAAAAAAB9g/FoalnAMVCQc/s700/IMG_0581.JPG

tlittlefield
11-16-2015, 08:36 AM
I have the CLX version that I road all this past season, very light and stiff. Put about 3500 miles on them here in NH and never needed to touch them once with a spoke wrench!