PDA

View Full Version : Custom does matter, ATMO

CNY rider
05-24-2006, 07:15 PM
I think a few recent threads have in one way or another tried to address what the actual value of a custom build is. I"m going to chime in and say that I think the custom build is actually worth quite a lot.

This thread is about my custom, built for me Legend and an Ottrott ST I bought used (obviously not custom for me) last year. The Legend is still in my garage, while the Ottrott is in a box heading to a new home. Let me 'splain why.

I've had the Legend for over 2 years. I had a fitting at Blue Sky in Saratoga. The fitter was thorough both in the actual fitting and in asking what exactly I wanted to do with the bicycle. I'm a slightly built, 145 pounder that likes to ride hills and century rides. I need a bike that climbs well and doesn't beat me senseless on rough pavement. I don't need a bike that can handle a bunch sprint or an incredible amount of torque from my legs because, alas, that's not going to happen ever. What I got back from Serotta fits the bill perfectly. I could not love that bike more. It rides exactly as I had hoped, and consistently exceeds all my expectations.

Last fall, an Ottrott came for sale, at a price I couldn't resist. My Legend had Serotta's "standard" 54 cm geo. The Ottrott had a steeper ST (75 vs. 73.5) with 2 cm longer front center. It had an F3 fork (6.5) versus the O2 on my Legend. Otherwise they were very similar. I outfitted both with hand-built wheels, with a Joe Young DT Swiss set on the Ottrott and a Mike Garcia DT/Aerohead rear/Nimble Spider front wheel on the Legend. Tires were Conti 3000 (Legend)/4000 (Ottrott).

I expected the Ottrott to be a great bike, and it undoubtedly is, but it's not as great for me as the Legend is. It was built to the second highest level of stiffness they offered that year, and it definitely comes across in the ride. The ride is a bit harsh, and the bike feels like it belongs under someone else, probably a stronger, more aggressive rider. I don't think I would enjoy a century at all on the Ottrott. Hence, it's headed to a new home.

What's my point? I think my Legend was built specifically for me, with attention to the qualities I wanted, and it turned out to be exactly what I wanted. The Ottrott is more expensive, has more modern materials, but couldn't match the bike that was made specifically for me. Ben and company know how to make what their customers want. They actually listen and deliver the bike that's right for you; there's something they can contribute to the process that's intangible. I suspect it has to do with the selection of tubing on my Legend, but I also realize that that's probably just scratching the surface. So yes, I think that custom matters for a whole lot, and I won't hesitate to pay for it again in the future.

JohnS
05-24-2006, 08:28 PM
You bring up an important point that many gloss over. They always say that custom bikes aren't needed by most since stock geometry fits so many people. Using the right tubes is just as important in a custom bike and needed by more than custom geometry is.

David Kirk
05-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Amen, ATMO, word up up!

Dave

Fixed
05-24-2006, 09:11 PM
bro you can go custom or like me go through a half dozen bikes until you hit one that's feels right . d.k. r.s. can save you money and time . i.m.h.o.
cheers

Climb01742
05-25-2006, 04:15 AM
there are certainly times where the customization of ride characteristics is very valuable. often paramount, in fact. no argument there. my second ottrott was dialed in so so sweetly, ride-wise. tuned ride is very valuable. the question is at what price? a parlee, for example, can tune your ride for somewhere in the $4k neighborhood. a mei vici is closer, with fork and paint, to $7.5k. both tuned to your personal ride characteristics. whereas a legend is very competitive with other great ti frames on price.

slowgoing
05-25-2006, 04:42 AM
The lesson your example makes is that it's better to buy a frame that is custom made for you rather than one that is custom made for someone else. Can't argue with that. But the geo and tubes on most stock Serottas have never let me down.

Erik.Lazdins
05-25-2006, 07:42 AM
I think a few recent threads have in one way or another tried to address what the actual value of a custom build is. I"m going to chime in and say that I think the custom build is actually worth quite a lot.

This thread is about my custom, built for me Legend and an Ottrott ST I bought used (obviously not custom for me) last year. The Legend is still in my garage, while the Ottrott is in a box heading to a new home. Let me 'splain why.

I've had the Legend for over 2 years. I had a fitting at Blue Sky in Saratoga. The fitter was thorough both in the actual fitting and in asking what exactly I wanted to do with the bicycle. I'm a slightly built, 145 pounder that likes to ride hills and century rides. I need a bike that climbs well and doesn't beat me senseless on rough pavement. I don't need a bike that can handle a bunch sprint or an incredible amount of torque from my legs because, alas, that's not going to happen ever. What I got back from Serotta fits the bill perfectly. I could not love that bike more. It rides exactly as I had hoped, and consistently exceeds all my expectations.

Last fall, an Ottrott came for sale, at a price I couldn't resist. My Legend had Serotta's "standard" 54 cm geo. The Ottrott had a steeper ST (75 vs. 73.5) with 2 cm longer front center. It had an F3 fork (6.5) versus the O2 on my Legend. Otherwise they were very similar. I outfitted both with hand-built wheels, with a Joe Young DT Swiss set on the Ottrott and a Mike Garcia DT/Aerohead rear/Nimble Spider front wheel on the Legend. Tires were Conti 3000 (Legend)/4000 (Ottrott).

I expected the Ottrott to be a great bike, and it undoubtedly is, but it's not as great for me as the Legend is. It was built to the second highest level of stiffness they offered that year, and it definitely comes across in the ride. The ride is a bit harsh, and the bike feels like it belongs under someone else, probably a stronger, more aggressive rider. I don't think I would enjoy a century at all on the Ottrott. Hence, it's headed to a new home.

What's my point? I think my Legend was built specifically for me, with attention to the qualities I wanted, and it turned out to be exactly what I wanted. The Ottrott is more expensive, has more modern materials, but couldn't match the bike that was made specifically for me. Ben and company know how to make what their customers want. They actually listen and deliver the bike that's right for you; there's something they can contribute to the process that's intangible. I suspect it has to do with the selection of tubing on my Legend, but I also realize that that's probably just scratching the surface. So yes, I think that custom matters for a whole lot, and I won't hesitate to pay for it again in the future.

A very well written testamonial. This is exactly the kind of post I come looking for when I log on.

This is my opinion, not atmo just plain mo.