PDA

View Full Version : New build in the planning stages- here come the questions

sjbraun
11-14-2015, 08:42 AM
I just placed a deposit on a BMC cross frame. It's not due to arrive until February, so I have plenty of time to contemplate the build. Here's the first of what I suspect will be many questions for the group.

I have a nice wheelset- DT Swiss 240s, Pacenti SL23 rims and Sapim Laser spokes, 28x28, currently set up for Campy. I'm planning a Shimano build for the BMC. I believe I can convert the hub from Campy to Shimano. Will the Pacenti rims handle the 45mm tires the frame will accommodate? How much hassle/expense will I incur converting the hub from Campy to Shimano. Basically I'm trying to decide if I should get a new wheelset or convert the one I have.

Thanks

Steve
Tucson

oldpotatoe
11-14-2015, 09:41 AM
I just placed a deposit on a BMC cross frame. It's not due to arrive until February, so I have plenty of time to contemplate the build. Here's the first of what I suspect will be many questions for the group.

I have a nice wheelset- DT Swiss 240s, Pacenti SL23 rims and Sapim Laser spokes, 28x28, currently set up for Campy. I'm planning a Shimano build for the BMC. I believe I can convert the hub from Campy to Shimano. Will the Pacenti rims handle the 45mm tires the frame will accommodate? How much hassle/expense will I incur converting the hub from Campy to Shimano. Basically I'm trying to decide if I should get a new wheelset or convert the one I have.

Thanks

Steve
Tucson

Easy to convert, just get a 11s shimano FH body and end cap(comes with FH body). Pull old off, new one on. Check wheel dish(minimal or none). $55-$85 or so.

Yes, those rims wil handle 45c tires w/o problem.

FlashUNC
11-14-2015, 09:44 AM
Yes and not much.

I can't remember if the DT240s require a redish, but even that won't be particularly onerous.

Johnny Alien
11-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Congrats on the new purchase. I put down some cash for a new BMC Road frame. I am going through the same pre-built preperations.

thirdgenbird
11-14-2015, 02:14 PM
As stated, it's way easy to convert. the most time consuming part might be removing the skewer ;)

jtakeda
11-14-2015, 02:19 PM
If you're going 11 you can just use a campy 11 cassette.