PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Discs

p nut
11-13-2015, 01:03 PM
Looking for a set of mechanical discs for my bike. Bike will be used primarily for gravel/dirt rides, with occasional singletrack mixed in.

Choices are:

BB7: Tried, and kind of true. Hate the constant fidgeting with pads. Squealing is painful to hear, but maybe keeps the bears away. Cheap.

Spyke: Never tried, but heard good reviews. But 2x more expensive than BB7's.

Shimano CX77: Never tried. Expensive as well, as they don't come with rotors.

Question is, is there any significant advantage of going with the other two brakes vs. BB7's?

guido
11-13-2015, 01:14 PM
How about the Paul Klampers? http://paulcomp.com/shop/components/klamper/

Although these don't come with rotors either...

gdw
11-13-2015, 01:16 PM
"Question is, is there any significant advantage of going with the other two brakes vs. BB7's? "

No. It's fashionable for folks on road forums to bash BB7's but they are the best of the bunch. The other options are fine if you want something different but not worth the additional cost imo.

austex
11-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Also

Rever MCX1 http://riderever.com/
(looks a lot like TRP Spyre)

and

Juin Tech R1 (cable-pull hydraulic) http://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/index.php/juin-tech-r1-hydraulic-cable-pull-disc-brake-set-cyclocross.html

to compete with TRP HyRd (also cable-pull hydraulic).

But gdw may be right about marginal benefit for major cost.

keevon
11-13-2015, 01:55 PM
Shimano CX77's are much cheaper than you think:

$84 / pair: http://www.randombikeparts.com/products/2-qty-shimano-br-cx77-short-pull-cyclocross-mechanical-disc-brake-calipers-new

Even cheaper on eBay - a pair of calipers regularly goes for $40-$50. I got mine for sub-$40 earlier this summer.

bikerboy337
11-13-2015, 02:01 PM
I think you mean the SPYRE from TRP... I believe the SPYKE is a MTB disc (i could be wrong though)...

I love my TRP Spyre, they work great for me with my campy 11 setup... i had some issues getting the BB& to play nice with Campy, couldnt seem to get the pads setup right and had lots of lever pull until i got good contact... the spyre allows you to dial the pads in/out on each side and within 5 minutes of install, they were much better for me than the BB7s ever were...

that being said, i think they're all pretty good at this point... hydraulic is the way to go if you can, if not, i dont think you can go wrong...

miguel
11-13-2015, 02:07 PM
hi

i've used these brakes:
bb7
spyre
cx77
rever cx1

i've got over 15,000km on (edit: MECHANICAL) road disc brakes over the last 3 years

I would recommend the spyres

but really you should stop fooling yourself and get hydro

d_douglas
11-14-2015, 10:47 PM
"Question is, is there any significant advantage of going with the other two brakes vs. BB7's? "

No. It's fashionable for folks on road forums to bash BB7's but they are the best of the bunch. The other options are fine if you want something different but not worth the additional cost imo.

Agreed. I long for Campy Hydro brakes and they will eventually come, but in the meantime, I think my BB7s work just fine. Theyre cheap, easy to find and reliable- what else do you need?!

I commute on BB7s in a rainy climate, and I just set them and leave them alone. Every few months, I turn the dials to move the pads inwards a bit and they're good to go for a few months. Pretty low maintenance, in my opinion...

d_douglas
11-14-2015, 10:48 PM
PS I have some for sale ;)

kramnnim
11-14-2015, 10:59 PM
Happy with my Spyres and they didn't seem very expensive...

CiclistiCliff
11-14-2015, 11:54 PM
Do yourself a favor and set them up with Odyssey K Linear Slic housing. Best compressionless housing on the market and least expensive.

kramnnim
11-15-2015, 07:43 AM
Do yourself a favor and set them up with Odyssey K Linear Slic housing. Best compressionless housing on the market and least expensive.

If you don't use compressionless housing the levers will feel like mush, horrible.

saab2000
11-15-2015, 07:46 AM
If you don't use compressionless housing the levers will feel like mush, horrible.

This is correct.

My Spyres seem less strong than they were when they were new. I don't know if this is reality or perception. I will try new pads at some point but the fact is I just just upgrade the whole thing to the Shimano RS685 mechanical/hydraulic levers and calipers and be done with it.

notoriousdjw
11-15-2015, 11:03 AM
I've used bb5/bb7/cx77 and hy/rd (never tried spyres). The hy/rds are the best of them followed by CX77 and bb5/7 in last place. The great part about the hy/rds is that they work with a variety of old levers but self center and self adjust for pad wear.

I did modify the hy/rds to work better with SRAM by adding a cable groove on the other side of the cable fixing bolt. This change reduces leverage but increases pad travel which gets rid of the squishy levers.

d_douglas
11-15-2015, 11:15 AM
My one concession is that I am curious about how good HY/RD brakes are. The hydro part appeals, but I am thinking that saving $$ to be a Campy hydro Guinea pig is worthwhile.

Are these actually good brakes (with Campy levers)?

saab2000
11-15-2015, 11:44 AM
Juin Tech R1 is another cable pull hydraulic brake option. I'm curious about them myself.

http://edgesportsuk.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/d/edge_airy_r1_black_3.jpg

notoriousdjw
11-15-2015, 12:48 PM
This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aBa3sGUUhs)is the mod I did (I used a dremel) and it sounds like Campy might need something similar. I can understand that many people wouldn't want to modify a brand new and fairly expensive set of brakes.

d_douglas
11-15-2015, 03:20 PM
Heya, those Juin Tech ones sure get good reviews. Maybe this is my new want in the face of not getting Campy Hydro brakes next year (or whenever this actually happens)

Has anyone here actually used these brakes? With Ergopower ?

yashcha
11-15-2015, 04:29 PM
Juin Tech R1 is another cable pull hydraulic brake option. I'm curious about them myself.

http://edgesportsuk.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/d/edge_airy_r1_black_3.jpg

I was seriously thinking about buying these too, but they do not recommend rotors below 160mm, which means more spacers...

I just openened up and overhauled my shimano mech brakes. All the grease inside had solidified, which was why my brakes felt like crap. After a good cleaning, and covering the bearings in freehub grease, the brakes work like buttah.

bmeryman
11-15-2015, 04:33 PM
I like the Hayes CX Pro mechanical discs. Having set up quite a lot of bikes with mechanical disc brakes (usually BB7s), the Hayes have been welcome. They set up more easily for me and they seem to perform well.

Worth a look in my opinion.

saab2000
11-15-2015, 05:35 PM
I was seriously thinking about buying these too, but they do not recommend rotors below 160mm, which means more spacers...

The required spacers are included if you need them. They're pictured in the photo I attached. Not the most attractive thing though I like the minimalist design of the Juin Tech R1 calipers.

Anyway, my wheels have 160mm 6-bolt rotors with my Spyres. Honestly, if I had centerlock wheels it would be a much easier decision to go with the Shimano RS685 setup with the 140mm Shimano Ice Tech rotors.

How is the stopping power of your Shimano mechanicals? I've never used them but it seems they get good reviews.

yashcha
11-15-2015, 06:02 PM
The required spacers are included if you need them. They're pictured in the photo I attached. Not the most attractive thing though I like the minimalist design of the Juin Tech R1 calipers.

Anyway, my wheels have 160mm 6-bolt rotors with my Spyres. Honestly, if I had centerlock wheels it would be a much easier decision to go with the Shimano RS685 setup with the 140mm Shimano Ice Tech rotors.

How is the stopping power of your Shimano mechanicals? I've never used them but it seems they get good reviews.

I have it set up with 140mm Freeza rotors, nice set of compression-less housing, and rock and roll cable magic lube. I have only checked out some Sram Hydros at the Giant store, but my set up felt just as good. On the road, they take a minimal amount of finger pressure to slow down, no squealing, and predictable braking power. I like them a lot. I considered going 11 speed RS685, but a little too much $ for me right now as I am still 10 speed. I think the Freeza rotors feel MUCH better than the normal ice-tech rotors.

Pastashop
11-15-2015, 06:52 PM
I like the Hayes CX Pro mechanical discs. Having set up quite a lot of bikes with mechanical disc brakes (usually BB7s), the Hayes have been welcome. They set up more easily for me and they seem to perform well.

Worth a look in my opinion.

+1 on Hayes mechanical brakes. Easy set up imo.

xeladragon
11-15-2015, 08:36 PM
I recently switched from Spyres (with SRAM, Ice Tech rotors, KoolStop pads) to Shimano hydro... there's no comparison. Whether it's worth the upgrade cost... I can't speak for others, but I'm glad I did. IMO, in terms of braking performance, mech disc isn't really an improvement over rim brakes.

p nut
11-15-2015, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the inputs. Going hydro isn't an option here since I'm using barcon shifters. Unless there is a "singlespeed" hydro option I don't know about?

d_douglas
11-15-2015, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the inputs. Going hydro isn't an option here since I'm using barcon shifters. Unless there is a "singlespeed" hydro option I don't know about?

There is!! TRP Hylex. They look pretty cool.

p nut
11-15-2015, 11:18 PM
There is!! TRP Hylex. They look pretty cool.

Ah, thanks. Good to know! I'll check them out.

saab2000
11-16-2015, 05:30 AM

Any of these cable actuated hydraulic brakes should work for you.

gmcampy
11-17-2015, 10:03 AM
IMO, in terms of braking performance, mech disc isn't really an improvement over rim brakes.

Unless you are riding a fully loaded 65# Fargo down a big gravel decent.....:D

osu cycling
11-17-2015, 05:42 PM
Quick note on the Shimano CX-77 someone mentioned as cheap to find earlier... if you decide to go that route, just avoid the similar looking CX-75 that sometimes crop up on eBay. There was a recall for those, and the CX-77 is the replacement model that's good to go.

p nut
11-17-2015, 05:48 PM
Thanks everyone. Well, after looking at the options, I really couldn't justify the cost of going hydro or with the more expensive units. I almost bought the Hayes just to try something different, but in the end decided to go with the familiar hardware. Pair of BB7's for $68 shipped on the way.

Thanks again.

d_douglas
11-17-2015, 06:12 PM
Thanks everyone. Well, after looking at the options, I really couldn't justify the cost of going hydro or with the more expensive units. I almost bought the Hayes just to try something different, but in the end decided to go with the familiar hardware. Pair of BB7's for $68 shipped on the way.

Thanks again.

Boom! Good brakes, dirt cheap.

yashcha
11-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Do any of you industry guys know exactly what the issue with the CX75 is? I have been out of the country and can't get these replaced, so have been using them without issue, but would hate to have them fail.

I recall there was an issue with people using the pads until they were completely worn out, and they would fall out of the calipers, but that is all I know.

Quick note on the Shimano CX-77 someone mentioned as cheap to find earlier... if you decide to go that route, just avoid the similar looking CX-75 that sometimes crop up on eBay. There was a recall for those, and the CX-77 is the replacement model that's good to go.

NHAero
11-18-2015, 08:16 PM
With the cable operated hydro brakes, is the compressionless housing just as important?
And do any of these alternatives to the BB& include the conical washer approach that the BB7 uses for alignment?

CiclistiCliff
11-18-2015, 09:21 PM
With the cable operated hydro brakes, is the compressionless housing just as important?
And do any of these alternatives to the BB& include the conical washer approach that the BB7 uses for alignment?

Compressionless is a good thing.

Avid is the only brake manufacturer that stupidly requires CPS washers for some of its brakes between the frame/fork and the caliper.

Shimano uses CPS washers between the bolt head and the caliper on some brakes, when using adapters for larger rotors......

NHAero
11-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Not sure why that is stupid...I had a hard time getting another product working on my bike whereas the BB7s are easy to align/

Compressionless is a good thing.

Avid is the only brake manufacturer that stupidly requires CPS washers for some of its brakes between the frame/fork and the caliper.

Shimano uses CPS washers between the bolt head and the caliper on some brakes, when using adapters for larger rotors......

CiclistiCliff
11-19-2015, 03:48 AM
Wait until they get dirty and index rather than having the ability to smoothly adjust.

Maybe it's just the fact I have to deal with these on a daily basis.

Also, BB7 road calipers feel absolutely terrible in comparison to the mtb counterpart. SRAM did not get it right with pull ratio/lever arm geo.

The Hayes CX (don't worry, I shudder when I type this too) are fantastic brakes. Some of the best mechanical discs out there. Weird, as I despise most, if not all, things Hayes.

osu cycling
11-20-2015, 05:42 PM
Do any of you industry guys know exactly what the issue with the CX75 is? I have been out of the country and can't get these replaced, so have been using them without issue, but would hate to have them fail.

I recall there was an issue with people using the pads until they were completely worn out, and they would fall out of the calipers, but that is all I know.

Not an industry guy, but from what I've read it was an issue with the actuator arm. Newer models had that part beefed up.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Shimano-American-Recalls-Disc-Brake-Calipers/

yashcha
11-20-2015, 09:27 PM
I think it is time for me to go 11 spd hydro. Rs685 with brakes are now $450 at CC. Not a bad deal.