PDA

View Full Version : How close does chain catcher need to be?

ontarget
11-12-2015, 09:02 AM
Hi everyone:

Yesterday afternoon I installed a K Edge chain catcher (the standard model) on my bike. I know I should be getting it as close to the chain as possible without the chain rubbing. I've got it about 2mm away, and can't get it any closer without the chainring bolts (actually, the nuts) contacting it. Is this close enough?

I can't see the chain being able to slip between the small ring and the catcher, but K Edge recommends about 0.5mm clearance.

If the chain catcher had a different curvature or was shorter this wouldn't be a problem, but I really don't want to modify it.

FlashUNC
11-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Close as you can get it. I've had chains slip under the K Edge on a couple different bikes at their recommended distance. Real pain to get back on on the side of the road.

Probably the biggest reason I'm not using their chain keepers anymore. The dog tooth ones are ugly, but work far better imo.

djg21
11-12-2015, 09:54 AM
Hi everyone:

Yesterday afternoon I installed a K Edge chain catcher (the standard model) on my bike. I know I should be getting it as close to the chain as possible without the chain rubbing. I've got it about 2mm away, and can't get it any closer without the chainring bolts (actually, the nuts) contacting it. Is this close enough?

I can't see the chain being able to slip between the small ring and the catcher, but K Edge recommends about 0.5mm clearance.

If the chain catcher had a different curvature or was shorter this wouldn't be a problem, but I really don't want to modify it.

It should be fine if it is a close as possible without contacting the chainring bolts.

As a PSA, I recently installed a K-edge ACS anti-chain suck device on my MTB. It was an unmitigated disaster. It mounts in the place of a 2mm washer on the drive side of the bottom bracket. It looked pretty slick! 2 rides in, the thing rotated on the BB into my chainrings and got lodged there. A trailside repair was out of the question, so I ended up shouldering my bike and hiking out of the woids. When I took the crank off, I the ACS device had worn through a couple of the inner tooth chainring bolts). If I had a carbon MTB, I'm guessing I would also have destroyed the chainstay. K-edge offered to replace the ACS device, but I declined. It really is too bad, because the concept of the ACS would be a good one of there were some way to securely mount the thing on the BB without it being able to slip and rotate.

dave thompson
11-12-2015, 12:41 PM
Hi everyone:

Might you have the catcher designed for a triple? If not, the K-edge mounting hole is slotted so you can move it up/down to get the appropriate distance and angle. The catcher should be near vertical next to the chain and not interfering with the chain ring bolts. I've not had any issues mounting them on numerous bikes.

corky
11-12-2015, 01:29 PM
No cigar

ontarget
11-12-2015, 01:54 PM
I appreciate the responses.

I ordered the model for a double, but will check the package when I get home from work today to confirm that is what I received.

The mounting hole is indeed slotted, but I still cannot make the catcher vertical when it's up against the chain. At that location it's canted outward very slightly. If I could make it vertical I suspect my chainring bolt interference problem would go away.

Pierre
11-12-2015, 02:00 PM
Mine somehow occasionally manages to come off unless I've got the thing as close as physically possible without brushing against the inside ring.

dave thompson
11-12-2015, 02:00 PM
You can see the double and triple catchers here and compare them: http://www.acecosportgroup.com/k-edge-chain-catchers.html

kevinvc
11-12-2015, 02:09 PM
I have a 1 X 9 setup on my cross bike and have not had success with any devices designed to keep the chain from dropping. I've used the K Edge, a Paul and a dogtooth style. All work fine for riding on the road, even when hitting potholes. All are pretty good at popping over curbs. All have failed when racing cross.

Depending on how you're going to use it, you might be fine once you get it dialed in. I'm at the point that I'm probably just going to add a front derailleur and second ring. I don't really need the extra gears but if I have to add a bunch of stuff to keep the chain in place I might as well get some benefit from it.

crashnburn
11-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Hi everyone:

As others have said, try to get it as close as possible.
I suggest you also test ride it as sometimes it moves in/out when you shift (if you use an FD) and you'll feel the chain rubbing after pedaling it hard.

nooneline
11-12-2015, 04:23 PM
OP, what kind of chainrings and bolts do you have?

I think, when I had SRAM bolts, they protruded behind the crank a little bit - rather than other bolts which nestle into the countersinking of the little ring. Also check to make sure your inner ring is mounted correctly and not on the wrong side.

If you address that issue, you'll be able to get the k-edge a little bit closer.

ontarget
11-22-2015, 07:05 PM
Update: it turns out my chainring bolt heads were a bit on the thick side. I replaced them with a lower profile model, and can now get the K Edge quite close.

Thanks to all who offered assistance!